Adding a custom background/loading screen image.

Started by Blopbi, August 05, 2016, 05:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blopbi

Hey, this is my second question in one day XD

How are custom backgrounds added? So far I've got:

Rimworld/Mods/Core/Textures/UI/HeroArt/BGPlanet.png
and
RimWorld/Mods/Core/MyMod/Textures/UI/HeroArt/BGPlanet.png (<---- that one's different to the one in core, which is the default image.)

I assume there's XML coding to be done, but I don't really know where to start. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

CallMeDio

I know it may seem a stupid question but who knows, sometimes we forget stuff: did you activated your mod in rimworld main menu mod button?
QuoteYou may need a rubber duck.  Also, try some caveman debugging.

Released mods: No Mood Loss on Prisoner Sold or Died

Jdalt40

Dio he isn't asking about his loading screen image not loading, he is asking how to make a xml file to load it :D

CallMeDio

Oh sorry, my bad, gonna pay more attention from now on :o
QuoteYou may need a rubber duck.  Also, try some caveman debugging.

Released mods: No Mood Loss on Prisoner Sold or Died

Gortef

I would also like to know what to do next.

On earlier builds (10 for example) I was able to change the Main Menu background image and the title easy peasy just by creating new png pictures with the same BGPanet and GameTitle names. But apparently nowadays such is not the case, and it also seems like that "modding" the menu background is not the most popular thing here and as such there are not much info around.

So a little help on what we are forgetting here would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rigging the new world

RawCode

Gortef

Yea well I kind of figured that one out.

In this situation the xml files would -more or less- only tell the game from where to look for those said graphics. The thing is that so far I've been unable to find an xml file that would have such a line, which -I guess- means that the location for those BGPlanet and GameTitle graphics is what it is and there is something else wrong in both mine and OPs "modding attempt".

Are those files still PNGs? At some point it was required that they were DDS files, but I guess nowadays PNGs should be the right choise.

I know that changing the Main Menu background is not really the most gameplay affecting mod around, but in my case it kind of sets the mood ready for the other graphical changes I'm about to bring back into my client for kicks and giggles, and without it the thing just fells a bit flat.

It just baffles me so much...
Rigging the new world

CCL detours the methods which draw the main menu (to draw the buttons from XML definitions) which is the only way to change any of that.  There are a couple of mods which also detour the main menu (via CCL) to draw their own background and layout for the main menu and use the methods CCL has provided for that exact purpose (eg, drawing and handling the XML defined buttons, etc) since A13.

Unfortunately, CCL isn't ready for A15 yet.  :(
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.