Best way to replace JobGiver_Haul in Animal ThinkTreeDefs?

Started by Jamestec, October 17, 2016, 08:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamestec

What is the best way of replacing JobGiver_Haul in Animal ThinkTreeDefs?

I have thought of the following options:

• Do the detour thing with JobGiver_Haul.TryGiveJob(), the only method it has.
  • Do the detour thing with JobGiver_Haul.TryGiveJob(), BUT always give null job. Make a SubTree with insertTab Animal_PreWander to handle hauling.
  • Make a SubTree thing with insertTag Animal_PreMain, make its treeRoot class to always give true and then subNodes are the same thing following the modder hook Animal_PreMain in Animal ThinkTreeDefs until after <!-- Trained behavior: Haul--> and just replace the class in our SubTree. Look at my prototype here: http://pastebin.com/QVKYYyDn

Edit: alternatively to 3, do the same thing but make each a separate SubTree instead of subNodes.

Dingo

I think detouring the jobgiver directly (so that would be #1?) is probably the simplest/best way to do it.

Detours should be avoided unless all other, better options (and all other options are better) have been exhausted.

Detours are intended to be a "last resort, nothing else can achieve the goal I am aiming for."

If using some XML to fix it doesn't work (and you may need to clone the entire sub-tree to do it) then it's time to start looking at other solutions.

Final note, there are two mods already which will allow you to control the animal hauling.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.