A quick chat about modders...umm...chat

Started by skullywag, October 18, 2016, 03:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

So as some of you know there is the modders slack thats been around for years now, we had a steady 25 ish people with about 10 chatting daily, very recently we opened up a discord server and have been evaluating that as a potential replacement. I would be remiss if I didnt take into account the wider modding community and not just the 30 ish guys and gals that use it currently, so my questions is simply to modders, which platform would you prefer, would one make you join the group more than another, what things should it have? any and all feedback is welcome.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Dingo

I've been using Discord for a while as a Skype replacement. It's a very good platform, I would recommend using it. I don't know what Slack offers outside of chat services but if it's mostly for chat I don't see a reason to use it.

skullywag

The only things some of us are missing from slack are the code snippets, they were hella useful from a sharing code and helping point of view (which is the main purpose here), if anyone knows how we can easily get this in Discord id be all ears, using markdown syntax highlighting doesnt seem to be cutting it for some.

Dingo

Is it really that bad to use stuff like pastebin for sharing code?

skullywag

No, not at all, thats one of the solutions thats been posted, im just seeing if there are anymore.

Vendan

Quote from: Dingo on October 18, 2016, 05:08:22 AM
Is it really that bad to use stuff like pastebin for sharing code?

Yes, yes it is in comparison to slack.  I've been using slack for other projects for a while, and having snippets be inline, with code highlighting, but also able to collapse, is just lightyears ahead of what discord offers.

merthsoft

A discord would be nice if only because it's what I currently used for other things, and I don't want yet another chat program.

kaptain_kavern

The real difference is that yes.

Slack was somehow made for "working" on project in a "professional" way, where Discord has a gaming purpose from start.

That's why I choose to make a Slackware in the first place because I was seeing it for us to "works" together (on code mostly).

I like the code snippet and all of that but in the end; I really don't care that much;  I will follow the modding community (Yes y'all buddies ! :-*) wherever it ends up ;) (Except steam :p )

merthsoft

skullywag

mabor0shi

Just joined the Discord a few days ago, I like it. I'd hate to go with Discord just cuz it looks cooler & more people use it. That's like VHS being chosen over Beta. I wonder how much code sharing is actually going on via Slack, since it's (apparently) unpopular. Since it's better cuz of sharing, if there's nobody around to share with, is it really useful?
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!