Curious performance

Started by Litcube, October 18, 2016, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goo Poni

Your framerates team issues could simply be tired the large number of colonists and animals doing their thing. The more pathfinding and the more jobs being done, the harder it'll hit you.

Zhentar

Quote from: KingKnee on January 21, 2017, 10:57:11 AM
Quote from: Zhentar on January 20, 2017, 09:29:10 PM
For anyone feeling adventurous, I have made an experimental WorldPawn Garbage Collector mod; it will trim down the worldpawn list, with (hopefully) effectively no visible impact to the player. In my current 4 year sea ice save, it deletes about half of the world pawns, significantly improving the framerate.

I gave it a shot but it didn't seem to make a difference for me. My latest save is 34mb and the size didn't change with your mod, I assumed it would? I get 60fps(vsync) at speed 1 but between 15-27fps at speed two with a lot of hiccups/stuttering.
When I first loaded into my save with your mod enabled, the game froze for about 20 seconds, I assumed your mod was doing its thing? After that every 5 minute or so I'd get the same freeze for 5-10 seconds. This doesn't happen for me when playing vanilla.

I haven't noticed any other changes in-game but I have now disabled the mod.(because of the freezes)
Granted, I have a large base with lots of colonists(30+) and animals(40+ bears), I wasn't expecting miracles.

That sounds like it is trying and failing to clean much up; you should see a substantial reduction in file size if it works (Mine went from 12mb to 9). Could you share your save? I'd like to see why it doesn't clean more up.

KingKnee

This is my latest save, I just killed most of my bears(30 something killed) to see if it would help performance, it made little difference, at max 1-2 average fps.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3208/Planeton196.rws

Zhentar

Wow, you weren't exaggerating at all. Took my system 18 seconds to delete a whopping four pawns, out of 2,442.

Zhentar

Thanks, that was very helpful. New version uploaded (same link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_iRcVI-TJMZZFpVcG45SGcwX00 ). It's about 50x faster, and is a fair bit more discriminating about which pawns it keeps. On your save, it still only deletes about 500 worldpawns; I suspect that it would be much more effective at keeping a fresh save lean rather than trimming down an existing one, but I'm not really sure about that.

Joshwoo70

Quote from: Zhentar on January 21, 2017, 07:51:18 PM
Thanks, that was very helpful. New version uploaded (same link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_iRcVI-TJMZZFpVcG45SGcwX00 ). It's about 50x faster, and is a fair bit more discriminating about which pawns it keeps. On your save, it still only deletes about 500 worldpawns; I suspect that it would be much more effective at keeping a fresh save lean rather than trimming down an existing one, but I'm not really sure about that.
for the time  ejng you might want to bring better pathfinding and also this together in a pack.

KingKnee

So I shouldn't expect any real performance changes with this mod on my current save or? Is deleting 500 worldpawns enough to make a difference? Did you see any significant file size change?

Also, in your view, is there a performance difference between burning all corpses or having a massive graveyard like I do in this save?
I always set out wanting to burn all corpses except for colonists that get their own sarcophagus, but for some reason my colonists rarely bother to execute the task(of hauling the corpses to the incinerator) so I end up building graves.
Thanks.

*EDIT* File size initially went from 34mb to 28mb. Gonna test with it some more, no freezes so far.

Thyme

Pile them up in a stockpile and bring them a cocktail from time to time. Corpses do burn, no?
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

Zhentar

Quote from: KingKnee on January 22, 2017, 03:14:51 AM

So I shouldn't expect any real performance changes with this mod on my current save or? Is deleting 500 worldpawns enough to make a difference? Did you see any significant file size change?

Also, in your view, is there a performance difference between burning all corpses or having a massive graveyard like I do in this save?
I always set out wanting to burn all corpses except for colonists that get their own sarcophagus, but for some reason my colonists rarely bother to execute the task(of hauling the corpses to the incinerator) so I end up building graves.
Thanks.

*EDIT* File size initially went from 34mb to 28mb. Gonna test with it some more, no freezes so far.

I did notice a small improvement, but nothing radical. Probably most of the deleted pawns were dead, so they aren't very expensive to tick.

As for burning corpses, the only pawns that could be cleaned up would be the dead pawn that you burned, so again, not a very big win. Unless..... hmmm....

Another new version. This one prunes branches only connected to the relationship tree through dead, corpseless pawns. It clears another ~350 pawns from your save, and potentially more if you start burning corpses.

KingKnee

Gonna give it a shot. I had a good experience with your second version, no freezes, slightly smaller file size and I gained at least an average of 5 FPS, which can mean a lot for playability on speed 2. I put some hours into it and started a second colony. (need metal).

I didn't notice any oddities with the other colonies or internal relationships. My colonists seemed to be social fighting more but I would assume that is unrelated?

Thyme

Side question, can RimWorld display the fps or are those values I see all around the forum user estimates?
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

LordMunchkin

I too have have noticed late game lag that is independent of the # of colonist/animals. It doesn't matter if I keep the colony under 6 people or let it balloon to dozens, by year six or seven going 2-3x speed tanks the fps (60+ to 15-25).

Then there's also some unspecified lag that occurs without rhyme or reason with certain mods. Hospitality and better pathfinding seem to be the main culprits as disabling them gets rid of this issue completely. Sometimes the game can go for years with these mods and loads of colonists. Other times in less than 30 days the game is lagging badly even at 1x speed. Deleting the entire map, restarting my comp, cleaning my comp, reinstalling Rimworld, it doesn't matter the save is basically borked. This has made really reluctant to use these mods ever again. :(

Finally, there's the good old too many heap sections. A true classic for me at this point!  :P That usually happens in the middle of a long playthrough which is why I save often.

P.S. While I find this game generally stable on my windows PC, it is hilariously unstable on my new macbook pro. The game often (50/50) just crashes to desktop when I try to start it or gets caught in a infinite loading screen. I don't have a lot of gaming experience with macs so I don't know if these types of issues are common with mac games.  :-\

KingKnee

Quote from: Thyme on January 23, 2017, 12:29:53 PM
Side question, can RimWorld display the fps or are those values I see all around the forum user estimates?

I used FRAPS to get a measure of FPS while testing, there are plenty of other tools you can use but I don't think the game has one. The game starts with me blazing through with plenty of FPS on speed 2. Then it gradually slows down over time and it's not immediately obvious as to what causes it. Still there's something to be said about pathfinding / tasks. Going from 40+ bears to around 10 hardly made an FPS dent for me. 

Also, I haven't used a ton of mods but the game has never once crashed on me. (EDIT. This is on PC only)

milon

If you're playing the Steam version, Steam can overlay the FPS on any of its games.

giannikampa

Did anybody switched to windowed mode and found an increased performance? This seemd to me last play but i procrastinated the try non windowed back to see if really performance would drop again or it was only a sensation, then had to close tha game
And as always.. sorry for my bad english