[1.0] Pick a Color! (Update Dec. 26)

Started by mabor0shi, October 18, 2016, 05:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be any other changes in the special PaintBench version?

A small research requirement.
3 (15%)
Painting job should take time and give xp.
4 (20%)
Both of the above.
9 (45%)
Other (suggest via post in this thread).
0 (0%)
No other changes. Just add a bench.
2 (10%)
Don't want special bench. Sticking with Normal Version.
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 20

MarineStardust

the black mark spot are the color i would never use, ignore the black spot on the wood. if anyone can do a custom XML for me with only the unmarked color, that would be sweet

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

sindri335

hey I have a problem with this mod. i can't actually color stain normal stone blocks. i can only stain stone blocks that have already been colored so the way I circumvent the problem is to spawn in a bunch of stained blocks and then color them the desired color.. obviously thats not ideal and i was wondering if anyone else has this problem? i have tried disabling all my mods and this still happens

mabor0shi

Quote from: sindri335 on April 09, 2017, 08:56:09 PM
hey I have a problem with this mod. i can't actually color stain normal stone blocks. i can only stain stone blocks that have already been colored so the way I circumvent the problem is to spawn in a bunch of stained blocks and then color them the desired color.. obviously thats not ideal and i was wondering if anyone else has this problem? i have tried disabling all my mods and this still happens
What happens when you try to color plain blocks? Is the option not there or do you get an error message, etc.? Did you try deleting the mod and reinstalling it?
Please, if anyone is having any issues report them here. Just make sure it's not caused by conflicting mods first and I'll do my best to fix the problem. And for Tynan's sake, will somebody post a pic of their colorful colony?! :D
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

sindri335

Quote from: mabor0shi on April 10, 2017, 05:16:32 PM
Quote from: sindri335 on April 09, 2017, 08:56:09 PM
What happens when you try to color plain blocks? Is the option not there or do you get an error message, etc.? Did you try deleting the mod and reinstalling it?
Please, if anyone is having any issues report them here. Just make sure it's not caused by conflicting mods first and I'll do my best to fix the problem. And for Tynan's sake, will somebody post a pic of their colorful colony?! :D

hey thanks for the quick reply. i tried deactivating all mods again and reinstalling the mod and this time it worked, so I must've done something wrong originally. since i realized it was a mod conflict i managed to get it working by changing the load order :) my bad.. either way here is a picture of my colony: http://i.imgur.com/pgEsUVf.jpg

SkyBlueMuffalo

I installed your mod and I love it! The colors are absolutely great and I can't wait to experiment more.

I've just started a new colony with a rich explorer and I've scavenged all the ruins on the map to build my first official buildings.

Here's a first pic: http://imgur.com/nJAxt5i 

I'll definitely update (provided we survive - the last heat wave/raid/mad animal/solar flare combo was quite challenging).

Please ignore the dirt. I really need more people with time to clean but my last three prisoners and crashlanders were pyromaniacs.

Thanks for making this great mod!  :D

MarineStardust

:( i really want to use this mod but there are color i will never use and some that are my fav

animagus_kitty

Quote from: MarineStardust on May 21, 2017, 04:50:37 PM
:( i really want to use this mod but there are color i will never use and some that are my fav

Pardon, but is there a particular reason why you're requesting a variant of this mod with only the colors you want? I'm not saying you'd use the colors you don't like, but they're not really...an inconvenience. To get wood/stone in that color, you have to order a colonist to make it that color.
Do you think that the mountains will drop colored chunks? They don't, the just drop the normal slate/marble/sandstone/etc. chunks that you cut and then paint.
Just trying to help. :)

Hey OP, it's me again! Do you know if this mod works for A17 yet? and, uh, do you have any plans to make painted stone usable for even tile floors? The basic 'stone tile' recipe uses Plain [Stone], would it be too much to ask that it also use stained stone and appear whatever color you've painted it?
FYI, I don't mod, so maybe it is. I'm just asking the question. ^_^

mabor0shi

Quote from: SkyBlueMuffalo on May 15, 2017, 05:52:46 PM
Thanks for making this great mod!  :D
People thanking me in this thread are just about the only appreciation I get and the same goes for other modders with their mods' threads. Everybody likes to be appreciated, so thank you for setting a good example!
Quote from: animagus_kitty on May 28, 2017, 01:01:32 AM
Quote from: MarineStardust on May 21, 2017, 04:50:37 PM
I'm not saying you'd use the colors you don't like, but they're not really...an inconvenience.
+1
Quote from: animagus_kitty on May 28, 2017, 01:01:32 AM
Do you know if this mod works for A17 yet? and, uh, do you have any plans to make painted stone usable for even tile floors? The basic 'stone tile' recipe uses Plain [Stone], would it be too much to ask that it also use stained stone and appear whatever color you've painted it?
FYI, I don't mod, so maybe it is. I'm just asking the question. ^_^
I'm starting work on updating for A17 now.
About floors: Floors are a different kind of thing than walls, workbenches, furniture, etc. Floors are called "terrain", which only accepts one specific ingredient for construction rather than a whole category of stuff. For example, notice that the floor menu has "granite tile", "marble tile", "slate tile", etc. Players don't click "stone tile" and then choose which stone to make it from, the way they can click "Bed", then click what kind of material to make the bed from.
I don't know why terrain is programmed this way, but I couldn't change it. I could make separate menu options for each color of stone and wood, but that would badly clutter the menu up. So, I tried to make a furniture item that had the look and function of a floor tile. However, I couldn't get it to do all the things a floor does and none of the things a floor doesn't do.
TL;DR I'm starting on A17 update and I strongly doubt anything changed that will make it possible to do colored wood or tile floors.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

animagus_kitty

Understood. I'll just use T's for floors then; yours is still the best walls+stuff mod I've found. ^_^

Also, just so yall know, idk what changed between A16 and A17, but I haven't encountered any errors yet using the A16 version. Should tide us over til Mar gets it done.

mabor0shi

Some very minor changes were made to the mod so that it's up to date with Alpha 17. You can still get A16 and even A15 versions on NexusMods. Pick a Color will have xpathing and patch operations as soon as I learn what those are :P They will decrease likelihood of incompatibility with other mods, which I have not heard any complaints about anyway. Also, Extended Woodworking Compatible (i.e. no colored wood) Version and VaniTex (i.e. vanilla wood and block textures left in) Version will be updated to A17 very soon.
Remember to post a picture here of the new colony you make in Alpha 17 with Pick a Color!

Fluffy (l2032)

hey guys, just wanted to drop in to say that you can easily get a ton of floors in these colors as well by getting my StuffedFloors mod. It works around floors not being 'stuffable' by generating a terrainDef for each floor/color combination, then uses ArchitectSense (another mod of mine, required for StuffedFloors) to generate stuff-like build icons so you don't end up with massive amounts of floors in the build menus.

Love

MarineStardust

~Pardon, but is there a particular reason why you're requesting a variant of this mod with only the colors you want? I'm not saying you'd use the colors you don't like, but they're not really...an inconvenience. To get wood/stone in that color, you have to order a colonist to make it that color.
Do you think that the mountains will drop colored chunks? They don't, the just drop the normal slate/marble/sandstone/etc. chunks that you cut and then paint.
Just trying to help. :)~ animagus_kitty, the reason for that is it clutter up the stonecutting bench. why would there be a color option in the stonecutting bench if that person not going to use it, i did try the mod and there was way too much color option in the stonecutting plus some of the color i don't even use

mabor0shi

MOD UPDATED JUNE 2! PLZ GET NEWEST VERSION!
I updated the mod to include xpathing. I did a good job of it, too. It's not sloppy, so it won't slow your startup. xpath patch operations are for reducing chance of incompatibility between mods, so there is very little chance of this mod interfering with others now. Also, now anything that takes fuel will accept colored wood. Smithies and Stoves wouldn't before. Now for replies:
Quote from: Love on May 31, 2017, 03:16:25 AM
To expand on that, if you want to provide compatibility for Stuffed Floors instead of making it a dependency, you can do what CuproPanda did
Maybe I'm wrong, but judging by the code at those links you posted, you (incorrectly) think my mod adds floors. This mod doesn't add floors.
However, Fluffy's StuffedFloors + ArchitectSense mods will let people make floors from the colored blocks/logs they make with Pick a Color. I put a link to Fluffy's Mods on the first post of this thread.

MarineStardust! You are a persistent fella! I get your point, too. Would you be satisfied with a separate bench just for coloring? I would make a version of the mod that has a special bench, but I have no art skills to draw it. I would be grateful if someone could whip one up for me! Here is my best effort:

Notice the bottles don't rotate? Because I suck at art. That garbage took me 2 hours to make, too.

animagus_kitty

Quote from: MarineStardust on May 31, 2017, 04:05:29 PM
animagus_kitty, the reason for that is it clutter up the stonecutting bench. why would there be a color option in the stonecutting bench if that person not going to use it, i did try the mod and there was way too much color option in the stonecutting plus some of the color i don't even use

That sounds like a fair complaint, there are an awful lot of choices. Honestly, though, due to the way the Stuff system works, doing something about it would probably involve rewriting the whole mod. :/
I know apparel comes out the color of its material, but I think that works a little differently than painting stone, since you're giving it a different color.
The only way it might work is if you did 'Paint Stone [Color]', and then had to manually choose a material to paint, rather than all being selected.  I just don't think there's a way to do what you want with the way Rimworld is designed, let alone this mod, unfortunately.

EDIT:: is this post irrelevant now that Mar's posted? idk, leaving it here anyway. Probably should have actually read that post before I did this.