Pickles, Curing, and Canning

Started by Arctic_fox, October 20, 2016, 06:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic_fox

So i know there is a mod of this already but i think it could use some twists and get added to the base game as we do need more ways to preserve food, Pemmican is a good stopgap but i think ways to preserve just veggys or just meat are also needed so we have less reliance on giant freezers or rooms stuffed with pemmican for everything.

Historically pickles and cured meats have been around in one form or another since biblical times, And canning was invented in the 1800s, It would make sense for a colony to be able to use these tools for food preservation.

I think having a way for backup long term food storage incase of solar flare/raiders destroying power generation thats not a mix of both produce and meat would be intersting to have, Not to mention it gives places like desert extreme desert ice sheet ect with limited acess to meat or produce early on a decent way to make a stockpile thats not either putting aside meat or survival meals, They would also make a hell of a good trade item, and help clear up needing zones and forbidden on survival meals for emergancy backup.

Now a big downside to these are things like E. coli, botulism, and some kinds of toxic molds or tapeworms for example when improperly prepared or damaged, That and the need for salt or metal (cans) is needed for a more intersting ballenced approach that the mods leave out.

I dont know, Its just something I would like to see, Namely having more food storage options.