Temperature items causing power usage to spasm

Started by Plasmatic, October 20, 2016, 04:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plasmatic

Anybody else experiencing this? Where a heater or cooler with fluctuate between high and low power usage in order to keep the exact temperature you set? Maybe we could have a little temperature range from the set value? so if you set it to 21 degrees it will keep the temperature between 20 and 22 degrees?

It's not really a big problem, it just leaves me puzzled as to how much power I'm actually using as I have heaters all over the place and my power consumption jumps around.. A lot.

carbon

Care to elaborate a little more on your setup?

For instance:
~200-tile room
4 Heaters @ 20, 19, 18, 17
2 Coolers @ 22, 23

...would be typical for my dining- / joy- / common-room that envelopes my bedrooms while in a temperate biome. And I don't see much in the way to power spikes.

EDIT: If you're deploying heaters in many small rooms, it could be they simply aren't being used to their full capacity. My setup above could more-or-less stabilize 12 bedrooms without issue. Whereas, if I put a heater in each bedroom, I'd have to at least triple my number of heaters. They would also presumably all be set to 20*C, which would cause a huge spike in energy demand the moment it got even slightly cool.

Plasmatic

Quote from: carbon on October 20, 2016, 05:13:29 PM
Care to elaborate a little more on your setup?

For instance:
~200-tile room
4 Heaters @ 20, 19, 18, 17
2 Coolers @ 22, 23

...would be typical for my dining- / joy- / common-room that envelopes my bedrooms while in a temperate biome. And I don't see much in the way to power spikes.

EDIT: If you're deploying heaters in many small rooms, it could be they simply aren't being used to their full capacity. My setup above could more-or-less stabilize 12 bedrooms without issue. Whereas, if I put a heater in each bedroom, I'd have to at least triple my number of heaters. They would also presumably all be set to 20*C, which would cause a huge spike in energy demand the moment it got even slightly cool.

132 tiles, 1 small heater, set to 21 degrees, single walls (but 10-15 degrees on other side too) and the heater once it reaches 21 degrees with fluctuate wildly between 20 W and 200 W.
My presumption is that is reaches 21 degrees, shuts off, then a second later the temperature drops to 20.9 or something and it starts up again only to reach 21 instantly etc etc.

Maybe I need to make my rooms bigger? I've tried having heated hallways and just vents into rooms but they never seem to transfer enough heat, like the hallways are 21 degrees, but the rooms never reach it..

carbon

Oh. So you're just unhappy with the way individual heaters behave? I must have not fully understood the original post.

I'm honestly content with them the way they operate now. Imparting a more nuanced logic to them would be largely a waste of CPU. The occasional 155W jumpiness in electricity demand shouldn't be crashing anyone's electric grid.

Plasmatic

Quote from: carbon on October 21, 2016, 07:50:03 AM
Oh. So you're just unhappy with the way individual heaters behave? I must have not fully understood the original post.

I'm honestly content with them the way they operate now. Imparting a more nuanced logic to them would be largely a waste of CPU. The occasional 155W jumpiness in electricity demand shouldn't be crashing anyone's electric grid.

No, I guess you are right, It's just hard to judge the power consumption when it's jumping all over the place, 155 W per heater is quite a bit when you have a bunch..

I have found a semi-solution though, using Redist mod I can have a centralized heating and cooling room minimizing the fluctuations. I just have to run pipes everywhere!