Cannibalism

Started by Wolf619, October 20, 2016, 09:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf619

Cannibalism needs to affect the characters moods more. I've had colonies where I make them eat all the visitors. I think the first time a person eats human and doesnt have the cannibal trait they should suffer an mental breakdown. Eating a person would be horrible, it would make you freak out but I guess if you did it enough you'd become desensitized. It seems like they just eat a person and are mildly upset, seems kind of crazy.

mabor0shi

probably due to Balancing concerns. I agree though. You shud hav to b very desperate to hav colonists who aint cannibals eat ppl. maybe Killface cud put it into Psychology
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Alenerel

I partially agree. I think its ok that they get a good mood debuff the first time but it should be lower the next times until it completely disappears. The cannibal trait could be acquired.

Wolf619

Quote from: Alenerel on October 21, 2016, 06:05:54 AM
I partially agree. I think its ok that they get a good mood debuff the first time but it should be lower the next times until it completely disappears. The cannibal trait could be acquired.
exactly what i was thinking!

Lizardo

You assume that there is always some initial disgust with eating long pork, some people and cultures develop a taste for it.

Also, in a starvation situation, it would certainly be less traumatic for those inclinded to be traumatized as they can formulate justifications.

This isn't so straight forward.
http://apatheticagnostic.com/ourchurch/intro.html
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ominous-Parallels-Freedom-America/dp/0452011175

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. - abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the Massacre at Béziers

Wolf619

Quote from: Lizardo on October 22, 2016, 12:11:23 PM
You assume that there is always some initial disgust with eating long pork, some people and cultures develop a taste for it.

Also, in a starvation situation, it would certainly be less traumatic for those inclinded to be traumatized as they can formulate justifications.

This isn't so straight forward.

Well if you watch the movie 'Alive' They had to eat a human as a last resort and it affected them causing all kinds of mental breakdowns, also you can eat a human right away if you want. You don't need to be starving to be a cannibal in RimWorld. I was thinking there should be an initial big hit for being a cannibal but eventually you can work up a tolerance and have less negative buffs and eventually get the cannibal traits. You are right though it isn't straight forward.

Lizardo

Besides buffs and debuffs, there is also reputation.  If your colony gets a reputation for turning adversaries into kibble there would most certainly be related responses.  Anything from fear or moral outrage to admiration. Or some combination.

Or no response.  Not everyone cares.

I like that the developer puts thought into these things and doesn't just make simple expected consequences.

So, to summarize, responses to cannibalism should be individualized and varied.  Over time there is a possibility of an individual tolerance or even a cultural acceptance being developed, and if the practice is made public there should be consideration of a political reaction.
http://apatheticagnostic.com/ourchurch/intro.html
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ominous-Parallels-Freedom-America/dp/0452011175

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. - abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the Massacre at Béziers

Wolf619

Quote from: Lizardo on October 22, 2016, 12:52:47 PM
So, to summarize, responses to cannibalism should be individualized and varied.  Over time there is a possibility of an individual tolerance or even a cultural acceptance being developed, and if the practice is made public there should be consideration of a political reaction.

Makes sense I mean who would want to visit a village where they are known to eat people, right?

Alenerel

Quote from: Wolf619 on October 22, 2016, 02:34:54 PM
Makes sense I mean who would want to visit a village where they are known to eat people, right?

MUST. resist. urges. to say. ur mom.

mabor0shi

Quote from: Wolf619 on October 22, 2016, 02:34:54 PM
Quote from: Lizardo on October 22, 2016, 12:52:47 PM

You know how enemy raids will give up and flee after they get their asses kicked enough? I bet they wud flee a lot sooner if they knew they wud get eaten if they're captured than if your colony took prisoners and recruited them. But, maybe the nice guy colonies would have guys who fail a raid throw down their weapons and surrender instead of running sometimes.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Wolf619

You know how enemy raids will give up and flee after they get their asses kicked enough? I bet they wud flee a lot sooner if they knew they wud get eaten if they're captured than if your colony took prisoners and recruited them. But, maybe the nice guy colonies would have guys who fail a raid throw down their weapons and surrender instead of running sometimes.

I like it! Your town would get a rep, either bad or good by your actions, it makes sense. Takes relationship to a next level kind of thing. Food for thought anyway!

Quote from: Alenerel on October 22, 2016, 02:53:58 PM
MUST. resist. urges. to say. ur mom.

My mom wouldn't visit a town of cannibals, maybe your mom would lol but not mine.

mabor0shi

Quote from: Wolf619 on October 23, 2016, 12:58:49 AM
I like it! Your town would get a rep, either bad or good by your actions, it makes sense. Takes relationship to a next level kind of thing. Food for thought anyway!

"Food for thought." lol good stuff. IMHO faction relations seems almost like an afterthought, or like the current setup is a placeholder til full system is complete. It's the weakest part of the game and it can pretty much b ignored right now.