[B19] Fences And Floors v1.21

Started by Pravus, October 20, 2016, 11:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draegon

Pravus, would you be willing to assist our mod in making terrain, floor tiles, and possibly other things? Your work is quite impressive.

Nanao-kun

I can't seem to repair the high security fences when they're damaged. I can build and deconstruct them, that's about it.

EDIT: Nevermind , I forgot you can only repair things in the home area.

Pravus

Quote from: Dingo on October 28, 2016, 03:51:37 PM
Just FYI Pravus, if people used those defNames previously and you changed them then you have corrupted people's saves. They can load them if they edit the save file itself and remove those items but I would be cautious about this in the future and let users know on Steam that the update will break existing saves.
Quote from: lc-soz on October 28, 2016, 04:01:51 PM
My lucky that I didn't use the second gate.

Would be better if the second gate, the simpler one, had different name, description, material, health [...] because it's a simpler gate compared to the normal one.

You should keep a "log" of versions on the post, it make things easy (or use gitHub). I noticed that you didn't edit the post today and was confused if you had updated the mod or not.

One BIG advantage of GitHub is keeping track of versions easily and other people help your project.

My sincerest apologies for that mistake!  I've only done a little dabbling in modding in the past and I generally learn everything I know from studying the work of others (alongside a lot of trial-and-error) so oversights like this are unfortunately an occasional inevitability for me.  I'll do my best to try to be more transparent in my documentation in the future and I'll look into learning how to set up and operate a GitHub repository when I have the time.

Quote from: Draegon on October 29, 2016, 07:37:33 PM
Pravus, would you be willing to assist our mod in making terrain, floor tiles, and possibly other things? Your work is quite impressive.

Thank you for the compliment!  I would be potentially willing to help depending on what type of assets you're interested in adding.  I find things like floor tiles/terrain to be fairly easy and straightforward to make but, due to my knowledge of Photoshop stemming entirely from personal experimentation, other more complicated projects can end up requiring a more significant contribution of personal time, energy, and (more often than not) frustration driven determination to produce something of worth.

Case-in-point, the art assets for each of the floor types in Fences And Floors took me no more than ~20 minutes per type.  Opposite that, I've been working on a personal mod project intended to replace some of the game's plainer looking electronic equipment with more intricate sci-fi inspired assets for use in my own playthroughs.  Many of those tiles have taken me upwards of 6-8 hours each to produce as I fumble and experiment my way around Photoshop, learning as I go.

Example: 

ORIGINAL:                                                                  MY EDIT:

As you can see, I'm certainly pleased with the result but getting there can prove exhausting, lol.  How about you shoot me a brief overview of the specific assets you anticipate needing for your project via PM.  I'll look over what you're wanting and we can discuss further plans from there. =)

jmababa

yea i have an idea for your wooden fence too use medieval fence as benchmark uses 2 wood per segment 10 wood for gate. Its part of medieval mod

Draegon

If you have discord you should join the RW modding channel! We can chat about what we need/want for the mod there. :D I believe it's well within your area of expertise.

KevinHann

Could I please lodge a request for an A16 update? Thanks :)

Hayden

Quote from: KevinHann on December 22, 2016, 08:40:06 PM
Could I please lodge a request for an A16 update? Thanks :)

I read on the Steam Page for this that it works fine with A16. Haven't tried it myself just yet.

Is it true that raiders and colonists can't shoot over the fences? That's sort of the only reason I haven't installed this mod just yet.

SteelRev

So is that research bench viable for download.  The  vanilla benches annoy me with how much space they take. 

joaonunes

Quote from: Pravus on November 01, 2016, 01:47:48 AM
ORIGINAL:                                                                  MY EDIT:

+1 vote for you to make a mod with that research table!
Do you want your colonists to look manlier?
Get a free mustache sample here!

Cl3arSky

this is all my chicken farm needed :D  should be part of the default game..

Pravus

Quote from: SteelRev on December 26, 2016, 06:35:05 PM
So is that research bench viable for download.  The  vanilla benches annoy me with how much space they take.
Quote from: joaonunes on December 26, 2016, 06:40:39 PM
Quote from: Pravus on November 01, 2016, 01:47:48 AM

+1 vote for you to make a mod with that research table!

Sorry it took me so long to see this and respond.  I've been busy with other things as of late.  In penance here's a gift: High Tech Laboratory Facilities

Pravus

Now updated to v1.2!  After reviewing the overwhelming number of responses to this mod both here on the forums and on Steam I have taken the community's feedback into consideration and performed a balance pass on Fences and Floors!  This should hopefully bring my mod more in line with vanilla RimWorld assets and better define potential roles for certain additions without making other options obsolete.

As always I am humbled by the wave of positive response this mod has generated and future feedback will continue to be taken into consideration and appreciated!

Kaldreth

Glad to see an update. I was looking forward to trying this mod out, but I don't see the non-steam link as updated.

Pravus

Quote from: Kaldreth on January 16, 2017, 10:39:32 PM
Glad to see an update. I was looking forward to trying this mod out, but I don't see the non-steam link as updated.

The Dropbox link does go to the updated file.  I may be breaching typical modder protocol doing this but if you upload a file to Dropbox with exactly the same filename and extension as a file already in storage it simply overwrites the older file with the new one without generating a new hyperlink.  I just started updating that way for convenience's sake but I can see how it might cause confusion.  Sorry for the miscommunication!

Pravus

Hotfixed to v1.21!  An observant Steam user alerted me to the fact that I overlooked a bit when adjusting values for the High Security Fences in the 1.2 update.  This made High Security Fences far too cheap to produce for the relative increase in durability they provide.  Thanks to their diligence I have taken another look at the values and adjusted them accordingly!