[B19] Fences And Floors v1.21

Started by Pravus, October 20, 2016, 11:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pravus

Fences And Floors
Now v1.21 Featuring Community Feedback Balance Pass

Special thanks to ItchyFlea and mrofa whose mods Fences and Clutter inspired this mod!

This mod adds 4 new styles of flooring and 4 fences (3 perimeter fences and a smaller defensive barrier).  Fences are gathered into their own menu category and research requirements have been applied where appropriate.  Plywood paneling and the simple wood fence are available from the beginning and are relatively simple to construct.  Upon completing the Machining research requirement access to chainlink fencing, high security fencing, the security barrier, steel grate flooring, and metal panel flooring is made available.  The last addition, sensor panel flooring, becomes constructable upon completing a new research project: "Reactive Flooring."

Some additions exhibit special qualities.  Steel grating has an inherent bonus to cleanliness due to most dust and detritus falling cleanly through the grate.  Wood and chainlink fences can be fired through while providing a small amount of cover.  The security barrier can be walked over (though with some difficulty), much like vanilla sandbags, but still provide good cover from incoming fire.  Lastly, sensor panels include advanced electronics, sensors, and networking components within their design.  They are expensive and difficult to construct but react to the presence of pedestrians moving overhead by optimizing their surface to the users stride resulting in a net increase in walking speed!

Plywood Paneling

Steel Grating

Metal Paneling

Sensor Panels

Wood Fence

Chainlink Fence

High Security Fence

Security Barrier

Introduced in v1.1!  Gates have been added for wooden fences, chainlink fences, and high security fences (formerly labeled metal perimeter fences)!  Fence HP values, material cost, and build times have been adjusted for balance!  *NOTE: Due to the way RimWorld currently renders doors all gates have a secondary entry in the build menu intended to be used when placing gates in vertical fence rows.  This avoids having any jarring graphical weirdness when building new gateways.*

Introduced in v1.2!  After considering community feedback Fences and Floors has undergone a balance pass!  Material and work investments have been rebalanced to better fit in with vanilla RimWorld assets across the board!  Fences and gates have also had their HP totals rebalanced to better mesh with core structure HP totals and to ensure proper situational usefulness!

Hotfixed to v1.21!  Adjusted material cost values of High Security Fences due to an oversight when updating that made them far too durable for their cost investment.

Download:
Dropbox
Steam Workshop

License:
Modders are welcome to utilize assets included in this mod as they see fit though attribution is always appreciated!

kaptain_kavern

I very much like the graphics ! 8)

Congratz for the release and thank you

Pravus

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 20, 2016, 11:08:23 PM
Hi very much like the graphics ! 8)

Congratz for the release and thank you

Quote from: spoonshortage on October 20, 2016, 11:14:14 PM

I see HEGGXAGONS....! xD
Nice work!

Thank you both very much for the compliments!  Its an honor to be recognized by such prolific forum personalities! 

Feel free to hit me with any suggestions or criticisms and I'll do my best to respond when I have the time!

fatm3l

very nice mod, gonna download it, hope you add more

fatm3l

is this fences able to attack from through?

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: fatm3l on October 20, 2016, 11:33:14 PM
is this fences able to attack [...]
* kaptain_kavern is now trying to figure a sign : "Be aware of the Fence!"

Dingo

You made fences that raiders won't light on fire along with all of my crops. Are you a madman, good sir?!

jmababa

best fence mod ever had my friend test this and its good chain link looks good on my pets

Coercion

zmadz

chch88

All your floors except Sensor Panels have walk speed 93%, is this intended?
Vanilla floors have 100% walk speed, so why would i build slower floors?

I deleted <pathCost>1</pathCost> from your Terrain_Floors.xml and walk speed became 100%

Pravus

Thanks so much to everyone for their compliments!  I am truly humbled to receive so much praise!

Quote from: fatm3l on October 20, 2016, 11:33:14 PM
is this fences able to attack from through?

Yes, all fences except the metal perimeter fence can be shot through while providing some amount of cover to defenders.

Quote from: chch88 on October 21, 2016, 04:05:45 PM
All your floors except Sensor Panels have walk speed 93%, is this intended?
Vanilla floors have 100% walk speed, so why would i build slower floors?

I deleted <pathCost>1</pathCost> from your Terrain_Floors.xml and walk speed became 100%

Thanks for notifying me of that oversight!  I have corrected the values and updated the files both on Dropbox and Steam!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to mention another project I've been playing around with if anyone is interested or wants to help out.  I started working on a mod that adds lavatory facilities to RimWorld but there are a few features I'd like to incorporate that are currently beyond my level of modding knowledge.

I created a work in progress thread for the project here.

Any modder interested in collaborating is welcome to provide advice and assistance.  Full credit will be provided to all contributors upon release.  Thanks everyone!

TOWC

You should tweak those sensor panels a bit. Change its cost somehow(components are priceless, you know) or increase bonus move speed. Just 18 extra percents looks like a joke, because of the cost and all that research thingy.

Pravus

Quote from: TOWC on October 21, 2016, 07:30:52 PM
You should tweak those sensor panels a bit. Change its cost somehow(components are priceless, you know) or increase bonus move speed. Just 18 extra percents looks like a joke, because of the cost and all that research thingy.

Sorry it took me a bit to respond (I was out of town and away from the internet over the weekend then had some computer problems after returning) but I took your suggestion into consideration and decided that you make a good point.

I have increased the sensor tile movement speed (now +62%) to better reflect the material investment and research cost.  I feel this is an appropriate change that adds value to the sensor tile flooring while maintaining my intended vision for game play balance (the benefit/cost balance for sensor tile flooring should make them desirable for specific situations and/or locations without cheapening their mechanic to the point of players effortlessly replacing their colony's entire floor space with sensor tiles.)

I have updated the Dropbox download link and the Steam Workshop page with the updated values.  Feedback on this change is appreciated!