[1.3-A15] Industrial Rollers 2.5.0 - Free your haulers!

Started by historic_os, October 21, 2016, 01:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylph

Quote from: Smellfungus on September 19, 2017, 03:05:44 PM
A bug I've noticed and assumed was known: industrial rollers aimed at incomplete industrial rollers that have the materials added will destroy items placed on them and give a debug warning.

I've also seen this happen. Tested it and happened every time, stuff gets rolled into oblivion. Oops.

Sylph

Could you please please please make the range limit for "hardcore mode" user-modifiable. 20 tiles imho is far too much, I'd like to make it 1 or 2.

mangalores

Just a note and a note/question:

- It seems that you cannot uninstall / install pullers. The button is there and they start deconstructing the wall but you cannot order to prioritize moving the puller and it is never done by the builders.

- Question: I tried to have pullers fill a fridge / shelf from a freezer stockpile without a roller in between and it doesn't seem to work. Is that intended or should it work? I envisioned using pullers to reshuffle stockpiles into some kind of order and have e.g. a fridge in the eating room being filled with meals. I also wanted to create a very fast kitchen by having pullers constantly refill fridges in reach of the cook so they do not move but with rollers you often end up with meat outside the fridge as the puller doesn't stop precisely when the fridge is full so you can end up with meat that might spoil.

With growers I wonder if there'd be a way to prevent pawns from dropping harvest outside the growth zone. Currently local one tile stockpiles allow them to move those rows by hand.

Otherwise great mod.

Canute

The reinstall is a known problem.
You need to uninstall it, and after it is minified, you can install it somewhere so far i remember (it is a while ago since i used this mod).

Alternativ, you just could use the dev. tools instant build it with god mode, and use "destroy" to delete the old one.

Nightinggale

I have a feature request. Make a roller, which doesn't have buildin power. In most cases it's a good thing that it spreads power, but if you build a big roller network and run out of power? Right now you can set a switch to turn the entire roller network on or off. If there is a roller, which is connected like most power using furniture, then it will be possible to set a switch for each section and turn the sections off one by one, possibly based on different criteria and that is without shutting down the critical core of the system. One obvious trigger for turning non-essential parts off would be battery level. It looks like it would just be a matter of copy pasting the xml info and then change one bool. However it would likely be a good idea to recolor it to make gaps clearly visible.

In short having rollers with and without power lines will make power management a lot easier.

Another thing I have always wondered about is why there are turns? They all act the same and it's just a graphical issue. Wouldn't it be possible to make just strait rollers and then make them change sprite depending on surroundings, just like doors and walls? Make it trigger on roller build or removed and then look at the 3 tiles leading to the roller in question and pick a sprite accordingly. This is certainly not a problem and it's fine as it is. It's more like it's something I have been wondering about ever since I first tried this mod.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Sylph

Two separate rollers running parallel to one another on directly adjacent stretches of tiles. At the end of the straightaway you want the leftmost one to turn to the left, and the rightmost one to turn to the right. How would you go about writing code to know that this was what the user intended, and not to have one, or both, tracks go the other way, to combine with one another? Your computer doesn't know what you are thinking. (Yet, sadly.)

Nightinggale

That's actually quite easy to tell when you want strait or turning rollers. Say we have a roller, which moves upwards. It will then pick sprite based on this:

• Strait if there is a roller downwards, which moves upwards
  • Left turn if there is a roller to the left, which moves to the right
  • Right turn if there is a roller to the right, which moves to the left
  • Strait roller since it's the start of the line
If the sprite is checked in this order and stopped once it finds one, then it will always use one, which makes sense to the surroundings. In the case of parallel rollers, they will not care for each other because each roller will only care for rollers moving items on to itself. Performance shouldn't be an issue if the selected sprite is cached and the cache is only updated on roller placed/built/removed.

Another feature request I have been thinking off today. When the roller jams, the item in front becomes allowed, allowing colonists to pick it up. What if there is a special kind of roller, which in that case would push the item to the side, effectively using the move code, but in another direction. The item should still be allowed to be picked up, but colonists have time to do so without jamming the roller. I bet I'm not the only one, who experienced hunters shooting animals on rollers or other similar scenarios where the wrong thing ends up on a roller.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

PreDiabetic

Is it possible to add Harvester style puller such as Growing puller but will auto harvest plants then Growing puller will pull from zone?

Nightinggale

Would you please release the source code. I would like to take a shot at fixing the bug where items vanish if moved onto a yet to be constructed roller.

Canute

Quote from: damngrl on October 24, 2017, 07:45:43 AM
Is it possible to add Harvester style puller such as Growing puller but will auto harvest plants then Growing puller will pull from zone?
Why you don't combine this mod with SS Cultivator Tools ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30813.0

PreDiabetic

Quote from: Canute on October 24, 2017, 09:05:36 AM
Quote from: damngrl on October 24, 2017, 07:45:43 AM
Why you don't combine this mod with SS Cultivator Tools ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30813.0

I did with little modification to Mod. Made cultivators smaller (3x3 basically half size) with lower materials and powercost to fit my 5x15 room 3 of them almost fit perfectly. Blocked doors. Now I have 7/24 growing zone inside with Skylights on them plus growing pullers which auto pushes food to stockpile. Total automation.

historic_os

Update - Version 2.1.25
Bug fixes, balance changes and more translations (DL link in main post)
Bug fixes:
- Fixed a bug causing items to disappear into unknown void when placed on a belt next to almost built belt.

Balance changes:
- Hardcore mode puller range reduced from 20 to 15.
- You can now adjust puller pulling range in the mod settings(if using Hardcore mode). Allowed values 1-100.

Translations:
- Added Russian by meggerry(http://steamcommunity.com/id/meggerry/).
- Added Japanese by ハグ.
- Added Turkish by KemalKhan(http://steamcommunity.com/id/KemalKhan/).
- Added Hungarian by DevEagle.
- Dutch translation update by an anonymous translator.
- German translation update by an anonymous translator.
Thank you all for the amazing translations!

historic_os

To everyone, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
While i don't respond to everything, i do read it and keep it in mind for when im working on updates.

In regards to the suggestion to detect belt orientation based on user build - it is possible, and many games have implemented it that way. while i do agree that its better in terms of user experience, unfortunately its something that should have been implemented in the core of the mod at the design phase. making such change now will require too much changes(also, backwards compatibility will be a pain, if not impossible). 

Nightinggale

It's really nice that you fixed the disappearing item bug. It was really annoying, particularly because the mod is so useful that I wouldn't want to just stop using it until it was fixed. Great work, on both the update and the mod in general.

I did make a strait roller, which breaks the powerline and just needs to be connected like normal electric buildings. It turned out that it is as simple as making a new mod, copy paste the xml code for strait roller and set contains wire to false and yes it performs precisely like I wished for, which is to allow shutting down parts of the roller network on low battery or whatever other criteria I set up. However it would be nice to have it with visible different graphics to easily identify the electric gap.

I do have one feature request left, which is to allow pullers to push directly into storage, like freezers. In other words take from a stockpile and put directly into the freezer. Right now it requires a puller, one tile of belt and then a pusher. It's not elegant and it has a tendency to screw up with something left on the belt.

I still wouldn't mind seeing the source code, but now that the serious bug has been fixed, it has moved to curiosity rather than wanting to do a specific task on it.

Quote from: historic_os on October 24, 2017, 07:31:56 PMIn regards to the suggestion to detect belt orientation based on user build - it is possible, and many games have implemented it that way. while i do agree that its better in terms of user experience, unfortunately its something that should have been implemented in the core of the mod at the design phase. making such change now will require too much changes(also, backwards compatibility will be a pain, if not impossible).
That's some good arguments for doing nothing about it. It's not like it's really important anyway.

Ian_Suffix

Quote from: historic_os on October 24, 2017, 07:19:01 PM
Translations:
- Added Japanese by ハグ.

Whoa! I was pretty shocked just now when I playing along normally and realized that the Japanese translation I hammered out was right in front of me.

Unfortunately, it looks like what I gave for a "newline" didn't turn out right. To begin with, Pulling Settings has become '抽出頻度/n設定', where /n should break the parts into two lines. Also, the "Every (Hours)" string in the Pulling Settings reads... 数/n時間ご(newline)とに: where, again, /n should split the two parts.