How to add textures to a mod

Started by jakowitz, March 27, 2014, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakowitz

I like many am trying to get into modding. I have a lot of the basic code done in the XML sheet but i have run into a road block. As the title suggests i don't know how to get the mod to put textures in the game properly. I have been using paint but looking at mods now i don't know if that is the right tool. can someone please tell me the right software to use. By the way the mod is hopefully going to be a mod that adds animals to the game. All help is appreciated

mrofa

Well texture format is .png, each square in game is 64x64 pixels. Graphic editor dont know, basicly anything is good even paint, althrugh i dont know if paint can save in .png format, if you want something more advenced try gimp, paint.net or photoshop.
All i do is clutter all around.

Cala13er

First, Paint is probably not the best thing to use.

I use Gimp 2. It's probably the best free one out there and since I doubt you want to be forking out money to pay for photoshop this is where to start!

Create your image and save it in a location inside a "Textures" folder in your mod folder. Then in the xml for the item you are added makes it's texture path the exact same as the image you saved. It's case sensitive and you MUST have the textures in a Textures folder.

jakowitz