Ludeon Forums

Ludeon Forums

• June 19, 2021, 04:45:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [WIP] Lavatory Facilities  (Read 2887 times)

Pravus

• Muffalo
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
[WIP] Lavatory Facilities
« on: October 21, 2016, 04:18:15 PM »

During a recent game I was struck by a realization that I'm shocked hadn't hit me sooner: RimWorld colonies never have access to lavatory facilities!

This is madness!  Doesn't Tynan realize that "everybody poops!" ;p

So I started working on a mod to rectify the situation!  So far I have completed the initial artwork and xml structure but I had a few ideas I have yet to implement.  I'm still an absolute novice at .DLL construction and it may be a bit yet before I have the available time to sit down and really dedicate my attention to it.  With that in mind, I thought I might post what I had so far as well as what I'm hoping to achieve in case any modder more capable than myself wants to take a crack at it.  Full credit will be attributed to any and all contributors to the finished package.

Here's a sample of a few art assets in game:

What I would like to add:
  • Toilets and showers used as source of comfort and joy (example: pawns could occasionally stand in a shower when joy and/or comfort is low much like how pawns engage in the "stargazing" activity.)
  • If the previous is made possible, usage of toilet facilities should be restricted when a pawn's food need is too low (starving pawns shouldn't need to regularly defecate)
  • If possible, pawns could temporarily display as nude when showering then display clothed normally when finished

Thanks in advance to anyone looking to help!

Download:
Dropbox

demeggy

• Colonist
  • Quadrigger
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Lavatory Facilities
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »

Brilliant! I've been considering developing a water and pipes system myself with 'Natural Spring' resources that can be found around the map like Geysers, so maybe you could look into that?

I'll give this a go though and let you know my thoughts.

Hydromancerx

• Colonist
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »

Yay! I have been wanting a toilet in the game!

Could you possibly add decorative pipes for "fake" plumbing?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:37:48 PM by Hydromancerx »

Tammabanana

• Colonist
  • Herald of the DevilSheep apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »

Depending on how you implement the need to poop, you might need to add a couple of potty options when the colonists can't afford to build a real bathroom yet. Willingness to use a bush, or dig a latrine ditch, or build an outhouse.

I don't know how to do diseases yet, so I don't know how hard it might be to make unsanitary poo places a disease vector? That's really the primary reason for potties to exist at all.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Hydromancerx

• Colonist
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »

Yes please make an Outhouse item!

Pravus

• Muffalo
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 11:09:37 PM »

Brilliant! I've been considering developing a water and pipes system myself with 'Natural Spring' resources that can be found around the map like Geysers, so maybe you could look into that?

I'll give this a go though and let you know my thoughts.

Yay! I have been wanting a toilet in the game!

Could you possibly add decorative pipes for "fake" plumbing?

I honestly hadn't considered that as a possibility due to my assumptions about how much work such a system would take to implement.  Having read your comments and had a few interesting ideas pop up here and there however I'm willing to investigate its potential (no promises though!). 

Depending on how you implement the need to poop, you might need to add a couple of potty options when the colonists can't afford to build a real bathroom yet. Willingness to use a bush, or dig a latrine ditch, or build an outhouse.

I don't know how to do diseases yet, so I don't know how hard it might be to make unsanitary poo places a disease vector? That's really the primary reason for potties to exist at all.

Yes please make an Outhouse item!

Oddly enough I actually already included a placeholder "outhouse bench" item in the portion of the mod I previously posted for download.  Your suggestions did give me a few new ideas on how to potentially expand the idea in a more eloquent manner.  I'll see what I can do!