[WIP] Lavatory Facilities

Started by Pravus, October 21, 2016, 04:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pravus

During a recent game I was struck by a realization that I'm shocked hadn't hit me sooner: RimWorld colonies never have access to lavatory facilities!

This is madness!  Doesn't Tynan realize that "everybody poops!" ;p

So I started working on a mod to rectify the situation!  So far I have completed the initial artwork and xml structure but I had a few ideas I have yet to implement.  I'm still an absolute novice at .DLL construction and it may be a bit yet before I have the available time to sit down and really dedicate my attention to it.  With that in mind, I thought I might post what I had so far as well as what I'm hoping to achieve in case any modder more capable than myself wants to take a crack at it.  Full credit will be attributed to any and all contributors to the finished package.

Here's a sample of a few art assets in game:

What I would like to add:
  • Toilets and showers used as source of comfort and joy (example: pawns could occasionally stand in a shower when joy and/or comfort is low much like how pawns engage in the "stargazing" activity.)
  • If the previous is made possible, usage of toilet facilities should be restricted when a pawn's food need is too low (starving pawns shouldn't need to regularly defecate)
  • If possible, pawns could temporarily display as nude when showering then display clothed normally when finished

Thanks in advance to anyone looking to help!

Download:
Dropbox

demeggy

Brilliant! I've been considering developing a water and pipes system myself with 'Natural Spring' resources that can be found around the map like Geysers, so maybe you could look into that?

I'll give this a go though and let you know my thoughts.

Hydromancerx

Yay! I have been wanting a toilet in the game!

Could you possibly add decorative pipes for "fake" plumbing?

Tammabanana

Depending on how you implement the need to poop, you might need to add a couple of potty options when the colonists can't afford to build a real bathroom yet. Willingness to use a bush, or dig a latrine ditch, or build an outhouse.

I don't know how to do diseases yet, so I don't know how hard it might be to make unsanitary poo places a disease vector? That's really the primary reason for potties to exist at all.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Hydromancerx

Yes please make an Outhouse item!

Pravus

Quote from: demeggy on October 21, 2016, 05:00:36 PM
Brilliant! I've been considering developing a water and pipes system myself with 'Natural Spring' resources that can be found around the map like Geysers, so maybe you could look into that?

I'll give this a go though and let you know my thoughts.

Quote from: Hydromancerx on October 21, 2016, 05:35:00 PM
Yay! I have been wanting a toilet in the game!

Could you possibly add decorative pipes for "fake" plumbing?

I honestly hadn't considered that as a possibility due to my assumptions about how much work such a system would take to implement.  Having read your comments and had a few interesting ideas pop up here and there however I'm willing to investigate its potential (no promises though!). 

Quote from: Tammabanana on October 22, 2016, 10:32:21 AM
Depending on how you implement the need to poop, you might need to add a couple of potty options when the colonists can't afford to build a real bathroom yet. Willingness to use a bush, or dig a latrine ditch, or build an outhouse.

I don't know how to do diseases yet, so I don't know how hard it might be to make unsanitary poo places a disease vector? That's really the primary reason for potties to exist at all.

Quote from: Hydromancerx on October 22, 2016, 05:02:53 PM
Yes please make an Outhouse item!

Oddly enough I actually already included a placeholder "outhouse bench" item in the portion of the mod I previously posted for download.  Your suggestions did give me a few new ideas on how to potentially expand the idea in a more eloquent manner.  I'll see what I can do!