General Questions about Water

Started by Col_Jessep, March 28, 2014, 09:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col_Jessep

I did a quick forum search about water and all I came up with was a short statement about biomes from Tynan. I was wondering if and how water will be implemented in Rimworld. I can't remember reading anything about it in the design documents. Sorry if this has already been answered. I haven't found it.

1) Will water become an important resource like food?
I think in some ways water should be even more important than food. It is hard to imagine that colonists would leave the colony or go completely mental if they don't get a meal for a day or two. Now with not getting anything to drink this kind of behavior would make much more sense. Somebody wandering off in a daze would be absolutely believable if he had nothing to stay hydrated. Hallucinations are a symptom or severe dehydration. Believe me, I experienced that for myself during my military time. You start to see things. Combine it with lack of sleep and hard physical work and you are only hanging on by a thread really soon... 0.o

Maybe we could get tools like canisters, filtration units, rain catchers, hand pumps, desalination unit..?

2) Will lakes, springs and rivers be a thing in Rimworld?[/b]
Can the engine support running water? (Can you dig a channel to irrigate plants?) Can we have fish, mussels and maybe something like crocodiles or piranhas? Might be interesting to have predators in the mix that make it dangerous to use any resources close to the water. Also: piranha trench as trap for raiders? Might lower their spirits a bit to get their calfs chewed on. xD

Anyway, adding water to the game would open up a lot of new possibilities for Rimworld and the modders imo. Are there any plans yet?

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Celthric Aysen

Yeah, i really like your idea hope it gets added, i mean no person should be able to live a single day without water, and maybe add turtles so that the colonist can make turtle armor, or keep them as pets to lessen their fear and make them more comfortable in difficult situations.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

a89a89

The average human adult can survive 2 days without water

Ender

Quote from: a89a89 on March 29, 2014, 11:17:45 AM

with limited activity, that of which our colonists are certainly not. we are constantly telling them to "make an entire house in one day!" and "Damn it! i told you work through the night to make that room! i don't care if you need sleep!"
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

a89a89

Quote from: Ender on March 29, 2014, 01:59:50 PM
lol

with limited activity, that of which our colonists are certainly not. we are constantly telling them to "make an entire house in one day!" and "Damn it! i told you work through the night to make that room! i don't care if you need sleep!"

Falcon_the_Slut

Bumping this thread because colonists who don't need water is pretty fake.  What is the status of having to drink and filter water to live?

Adamiks

skullywag

Im pretty sure Tynan has said he wont be adding water as a "food like" need.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

TLHeart

eating fruits and vegetables satisfy the water need.

a strawberry is 92% water. Corn is 85% water.  And who needs to filter the water anyway.  Helps to build the immunity system up.

Turps

Water as a "food like" need nah, I'm also going to assume the colonist have gone to the toilet. But we have lakes why not the odd river. Making it hard to cross without being taken down stream. Creating the need for bridges or draw bridges? Not sure how it would work with the over all balance of the game because some maps might not have them or then it turns into a must have and ya start spamming maps :-\ the piranhas idea is cool maybe eels too. Fishing for food is good introducing new skills maybe. or just another natural barrier. Imagine scoring a water fall off the side of a mountain in the middle of your base, the beauty score could be off the charts. +1 we need rivers
Its not a battle unless some limbs are getting shot off!

Regret

Agreed, no drinking.

All rivers must start from a mountain or the edge of the map.

Very hard to pass in narrow sections, very easy to pass in wide sections.

The water is always very cold, cooling the colonist.

Watermills?

rexx1888

im not necessarily fussed about water in terms of needs. although theres nothing especially wrong with more granularity in the needs, its not like the food need isnt abstract enough to just think of it as sustenance. Still, the more work to be done the better. Water comes with all sorts of nifty things, and makes beverages stand out less(why is it my colonists have beer but not water. Dehydration seems to just not exist in RW lol)

having said that, id love to see rivers and such. i want flash floods and ridiculousness of that order. like fire, but more likely to move things than destroy them. Of course, im sure that for that to be a thing water as fluid would need to be a thing which is probably a rework of how maps an biomes are generated.. an id rather see ai be awesome first :P

Demoulius

Renember the game is still in alpha. Im sure it (or something simular to it) will get added at some point.

TwixFunSize

If water is added, Like food with could have storage in the forms of water tanks

dazhat

Actually it is about a week but it depends on the situation. Maybe a day or two in a desert. When I worked in a care home I looked after somebody who had decided to refuse all liquids and food. They lived for 2 weeks!