Clearence & room size

Started by Peto2, October 24, 2016, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peto2

(I am very sorry if this topic has been already discussed, I am new to the forum)

I just wonder if anyone else thinks that the current mechanic regarding clearence, room size and space buffs and debuffs isn't a little bit harsh and perhaps a little bit "stupid". Placing bed in the middle of a huge room simply not to have any debuffs does feel stupid to me. Who places bed in the middle of the room? I, in the real world, would always place everything next to wall so I have space in the middle, not the other way around. RimWorld is a great game, very complex, but this just seems too much and for no obvious or simply understandable reason.

I would remove the clearence mechanic at least and maybe let rooms be smaller without any penalties to moods of colonists

bclewis

In my opinion, once a colonist gets into bed, the game should stop applying space debuffs to that colonist.

If I'm awake and moving around in my bedroom IRL, I appreciate some spaciousness -- but when I'm in bed I actually prefer a small partially enclosed space.

mabor0shi

Quote from: bclewis on October 24, 2016, 05:59:58 PM
In my opinion, once a colonist gets into bed, the game should stop applying space debuffs to that colonist.

If I'm awake and moving around in my bedroom IRL, I appreciate some spaciousness -- but when I'm in bed I actually prefer a small partially enclosed space.
Here is a bit of XML to show you that this already happens. See, it freezes while they sleeping
<NeedDef>
    <DefName>Space</DefName>
    <needClass>Need_Space</needClass>
    <label>space</label>
    <description>Space reflects a sense of being physically free and able to move around. It is harmed by spending extended periods in cramped rooms.</description>
    <freezeWhileSleeping>true</freezeWhileSleeping>
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

bclewis

That's great -- so does that mean there's no downside to placing beds in the edges/corners of the room, contrary to what I've heard people saying?

pconners

I'd still place your beds in the centre because if your pawn is injured or sick with a disease then they may be awake while in bed and the freezing of mood won't occur.

O Negative

Yeah 2x1 rooms with only a bed are basically what a lot of people do because of this mechanic.