Why can't I build a ship reactor indoors?

Started by Thias, October 25, 2016, 12:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thias

It would make such a nice power source for my cave forts...

Please?

PieTau

A spaceship is not designed for indoor flying.

Alenerel

Jimyoda

Okay. YOUR spaceship is not designed for indoor flying.  :P
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

RemingtonRyder

I think it's possible to put the blueprints for your ship parts down in an unroofed area and then add a roof.

Thias

Did you ever see a space ship beeing build outdoors? Ever? They are always built in a hangar. Then rolled outside or launched through a foldable roof. Preferably a roof that can be covered by a fake lake or something. Every evil mastermind knows this is the way to go.
Gosh!

Its even possible to build a wind turbine inside the mountain. It will tell you it is blocked, but still. Should be the same with the space ships. You build it inside, doesn't start, your own damn fault. But it should be possible to place it there. This is kind of annoying to me. Because it is needlessly preventing my play style.

Alenerel

Now that you mention it, it does makes sense. You can build a roof after placing it, which means that you can remove the roof too. But you cant remove a mountain roof... Maybe it should let you build it just under normal roof, not mountains or mountain thin roof.

Not important but interesting... And now I want to do it -.-

Trylobyte

Does this mean I have to have an open-top spaceship?  I mean, everyone loves a convertible, but that seems sort of dangerous in outer space...

bclewis

I think it's more interesting gameplay-wise when power sources require resources beyond how many can be packed in per tile.

For the other sources we have sun, wood, wind, and geothermal vents, all of which fluctuate independently, and keep things interesting.

Ship reactors as power sources for me are already feeling a little unrealistic/OP to me, I would rather see more downsides added if we were to remove the "not under mountain" restriction.

For "story explanation" of current behaviour -- maybe reactors are powered in part by cosmic rays that are blocked by think mountain ceilings?

Rock5

Quote from: PieTau on October 25, 2016, 12:28:59 PM
A spaceship is not designed for indoor flying.

Quote from: Alenerel on October 25, 2016, 12:58:27 PM
Its MY spaceship.

Quote from: Jimyoda on October 25, 2016, 01:18:58 PM
Okay. YOUR spaceship is not designed for indoor flying.  :P

ROFL. That's my sort of comedy.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport