Colonists don't defend themselves

Started by SymbolicFrank, October 28, 2016, 08:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymbolicFrank

When attacked by, for example, a bear, they try to flee, but when in melee that doesn't work. They keep standing where they stand, or move very, very slowly, and get beaten to a pulp. You have to draft them, and repeatedly tell them to shoot for each shot. "Looking for targets" doesn't seem to include the big bear shredding them.

Zokora

Hi
Have you tried to change the behavior of the pawn when he gets attacked?
It can be: flee. Ignore. Attack

You can set this in the winow for the pawn ... on the right side   
the little pic wit a running man stands for flee just click on it to change it.
In one of the Tabs you can change the behavior too.

nccvoyager

Hungry bears attacking pawns, including colonists, with no warning, is intended.

Pawns being unable to quickly flee while engaged in melee combat is intended.

Pawns attempting to flee instead of firing at an attacker is intended behaviour, if the pawn is in "flee" (default) mode.
If you wish for pawns to automatically attempt to attack attackers, change the mode of the pawn from "flee" to "attack" in the information panel.
(Small icon of a "running" person. Click it until it turns into a sword.)

Pawns being unable to aim and fire ranged weapons while engaged in melee combat is intended.
(Pawns will attempt to melee attack their attacker, unless directed to attempt to aim and fire a ranged weapon directly.)

In terms of the "looking for targets" information message; small issue with it right now. It will read "looking for targets" even if the pawn is currently warm-up aiming at a target, or warm-up punching a target.

SymbolicFrank

Ok, thanks, my mistake. I'll try it out.

nccvoyager

No problem.
Do note that even in "attack hostiles" mode, a pawn will only attack a hungry animal after the hungry animal has hit them.

SymbolicFrank

I tested it out, and while they do defend themselves, they tend to revert to melee attack, even when they have a perfectly serviceable weapon, like a shotgun. They only start shooting when they are seriously damaged, it seems.

nccvoyager

Indeed, any pawn engaged in melee combat will attempt to return attacks in melee combat.

Whether or not that itself is intended, I will leave up to someone more qualified than myself.

It should be noted, however, that this has not changed in several game versions, and may therefore be intended.
It is, after all, somewhat difficult to aim a gun while your chest is being ripped open by massive claws.

ItchyFlea

All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created