Blank Map Generator?

Started by Hydromancerx, October 29, 2016, 05:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydromancerx

Is there a way to make a map generator that gives a blank map? Or at least no water and mountains? Even flat terrain is not very flat.

mabor0shi

I second this mod, but I can't do it myself. There is a command in dev mode "Clear All Things". It's kinda close: it clears rock outcrops, trees, items, and even colonists. Not good for when you're actually playing the game. In fact it leaves the mountains, just clears under them. Leaves water, too. So it's actually nothing like what we want lol
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

RawCode

have you opened "biome defs" and if you opened, what have you done and what result you got?

Vincent

In dev mode, use "Tool: rock 21x21" to replace all terrain with mountain, then use "Tool clear area 21x21"

Hydromancerx

Quote from: Vincent on November 01, 2016, 05:34:37 PM
In dev mode, use "Tool: rock 21x21" to replace all terrain with mountain, then use "Tool clear area 21x21"

Will the "Tool clear area" clear the mountain?

mabor0shi

Quote from: Vincent on November 01, 2016, 05:34:37 PM
it's just rock wall, not mountain. it will cover any other kind of terrain, even water. So you can replace water with rock by placing the 21x21 wall then using "clear area 21x21" to clear the rock. I checked, "clear area" does clear mountains too. It clears everything (animals, plants, colonists) besides terrain. You can change the terrain one tile at a time with "Tool:Set Terrain". there It's still not a mod for generating a flat, waterless map, though.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Mr.Cross

Quote from: RawCode on October 31, 2016, 05:07:41 AM
have you opened "biome defs" and if you opened, what have you done and what result you got?

Did a little test screwing around with the Biome defs.

<terrain>Mud</terrain>
            <min>0</min>
            <max>0</max>

And having this in place for Mud, Shallow water and Deep water does keep them from being generated in. At least that's what I saw on one small map.... hmm that's not much of a test is it? Either way It seems possible to get rid of the irritating ground types. However I still (and I haven't really looked yet, will do that after posting this.) figure out how to keep the mountain from spawning in. or changing the formation of how they spawn.

Edit: Rock generation most likely seems to be done from Map generation and map generation def. (Duh)
Claims to know most things.

captainradish

I do sometimes miss the old way that maps were generated. They did allow for quite a few more unusual terrains.

I really really miss cave worlds.

Hydromancerx

I had an idea. There is a mod that allows for custom ruins. What if you made a HUGE building that was basically a big parking lot. Would that cover up the mountains and water? Or would it still show up?

mabor0shi

Quote from: Hydromancerx on November 08, 2016, 04:14:29 PM
I had an idea. There is a mod that allows for custom ruins. What if you made a HUGE building that was basically a big parking lot. Would that cover up the mountains and water? Or would it still show up?
a quick look at the XMLs tells me that the custom blueprint making mentioned in the mod description is XML Def editing. Haplo put a tutorial XML in there. A cool idea. Anyway: looks like it is possible to make a whole-map-covering concrete floor, but I don't want to invest the trial and error time it would take for me to make sure. Because I don't actually care. You could DL the mod, study the tutorial, and try some things (good modding XP for ya) or just ask Haplo on the mod's forum thread.

Hydromancerx

Quote from: Mr.Cross on November 02, 2016, 09:48:31 PM
Quote from: RawCode on October 31, 2016, 05:07:41 AM

Did a little test screwing around with the Biome defs.

<terrain>Mud</terrain>
            <min>0</min>
            <max>0</max>

And having this in place for Mud, Shallow water and Deep water does keep them from being generated in. At least that's what I saw on one small map.... hmm that's not much of a test is it? Either way It seems possible to get rid of the irritating ground types. However I still (and I haven't really looked yet, will do that after posting this.) figure out how to keep the mountain from spawning in. or changing the formation of how they spawn.

Edit: Rock generation most likely seems to be done from Map generation and map generation def. (Duh)

Your method worked for the water and mud. Tiles. Then I tried removing this line in the core code (made sure I saved a backup) ...

<GenStepDef>
    <defName>RocksFromGrid</defName>
    <mapGenerator>MainMapGenerator</mapGenerator>
    <order>200</order>
    <genStep Class="GenStep_RocksFromGrid"/>
  </GenStepDef>

By removing this code no mountains were generated. Also no ore either. Which is fine. There are still ruins and I suspect if i removed those line like the Mars mod did I could have no Ruins as well if I wanted. However having some ruins will help balance out no ore to mine since I need some starting sources of steel.

The rest can come from trade and falling cargo pods.