[1.0+] Outer Galaxies (AKA Rimworld 2.0; now with 70's T-levels)

Started by Razzoriel, October 30, 2016, 04:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razzoriel

• Biomes - 75% ready (needs testing)
  • Backstories - 70% ready (needs child backstories)
  • Weapons - 75% ready (needs testing)
  • Armor/Clothing - 85% ready (needs testing)
  • Traits- 85% ready (needs testing)
  • Resources (ores, food, etc) - 90% ready (needs finishing XML coding)
  • Diseases - 50% ready (needs testing)
  • Animals - 95% ready (needs final testing)
  • Buildings - 35% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Research - 25% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Recipes - 35% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Vanilla patching- 50% ready

Added textures/buildings/items from several mods that weren't in previously (mods in source locations other than Ludeon Forums' Mods section). Out of my head, this means 8 more dog breeds, several more weapons and buildings such as furniture, power sources, etc. It's going to take a while to balance those breeds with the existing ones; i had planned breeds for their functions, such as indoor pets/chasers/brawlers.

Added support for mounted mechanoid weapons (Heavy Blaster/Charge Lance/Inferno Cannon). Mechs drop their weapons; it can't be wielded by pawns, but they can either salvage the weapon for Advanced Components or reprogram them to be used in tripods as a makeshift mounted turret. These turrets are inferior to others which pawns can build from scratch at the same tech level, but are minified, and thus can be transported around (fixed turrets are usually more powerful than minifiable ones).

Added support for mounted miniguns, thanks to the Defensive Machine Guns mod (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40913.0). When mounted, miniguns can fire longer bursts. Quality does not affect it, so it is wise to use Awful/Shoddy miniguns as mounted turrets, if quality is a concern (it usually isn't; miniguns have so much volume of fire lack of accuracy is meaningless).

Call me Arty

Neat, more stuff minor things I expected in the game two updates ago. Pretty refreshing to see!
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Razzoriel

• Diseases - 50% ready (needs testing)
  • Buildings - 35% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Research - 25% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Recipes - 45% ready (needs XML coding)

Nearly done with drugs. Had to go back with mounted mechanoid weapons for a while to make something that can be wielded by mechs but not by humanoid pawns. Solution is kinda unconventional but works.

Razzoriel

Drugs ready, moving to disease testing.

Razzoriel

Diseases ready for testing. Drugs ready for testing. Making final balances to move to research, which is probably going to take a couple weeks to be done. I need to get into the X-Y coordinate system the game uses for research placement, and try to find a good middle-ground between research tier complexity and number of projects to research.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Razzoriel on May 12, 2018, 06:05:57 PM
Diseases ready for testing. Drugs ready for testing. Making final balances to move to research, which is probably going to take a couple weeks to be done. I need to get into the X-Y coordinate system the game uses for research placement, and try to find a good middle-ground between research tier complexity and number of projects to research.

So, from the sounds of it, you're trying to reign back the slew of arbitrary 500-point research projects (Colored lights, Electric Cremation, Penoxycyline  Production) that tend to clutter the research window in the base game and some mods? If so I appreciate it.

Wouldn't it be more time efficient - if you are already using some content from other mods - to shoot notfood a message about using Research Pal? I've done nothing but add mods since I got it, and it's still super clear and easy to read. Surely it'd help out, considering how much you seem to be adding.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Razzoriel

Yes, after testing is complete (just to check everything is working as intended) i'll contact him, his mod is pretty good.

I'll try and make researching of certain fields requirement for the same field; so for instance, you won't be able to make ceiling lights by the Industrial Age if you didn't research Candles in the Ancient Age.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Razzoriel on May 12, 2018, 08:05:31 PM
I'll try and make researching of certain fields requirement for the same field; so for instance, you won't be able to make ceiling lights by the Industrial Age if you didn't research Candles in the Ancient Age.

Oh, so like, a Lighting Branch? I like the concept, but I feel like the example of ceiling lights (lightbulbs, I assume) could be parallel from candles to not require it as research. You'd need to know how to make engines before you could make a car, but it would be odd if you couldn't make trucks or motorbikes unless you knew how to make cars first, if you catch my drift. Yeah, the lightbulb ended-up replacing the gas lamp that replaced the candle, but filaments and glassworking don't have much to do with fuses and tallow.

Razzoriel

Yes, that was the original idea, but I don't think it'll be easy to make so many conditionals to so many research fields. I'll try to make it as complex as possible while at the same time making the best sense as possible (so in the example, yes, you'll need to research glassworks+electricity+fuses to get ceiling lights, as well as waxworking). This will be more complex when it comes to manufacturing guns, because I have unique pathways for guns that will require some forethought about engineering parts, and im not sure people will agree on having many 300-pt projects per gun, instead of less 1k-pt projects for a group of guns that fill the same general role with minor quirks.

Razzoriel

• Diseases - 65% ready (needs testing)
  • Buildings - 50% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Research - 35% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Recipes - 75% ready (still needs XML coding)

Lots of things done so far. Project still going, but the sheer amount of conversions and recipes needed for the metallurgy section of the mod is consuming a lot of time (which is perfectly normal for a project willing to add 45+ metals/alloys, balance and fully interact with all parts of the game).

Combat is being revised as it is from vanilla Long story short, larger blades will cleave more body parts, axes will behave like clubs but deal slashing damage, stabbing weapons will go through organs easier the longer and sturdier the weapon is (spears will go through easier than shivs, for example). Finally, hooked weapons will make enemies bleed more, two-handed weapons will not only deal more damage on average but cleave through/go through bodies easier than one-handed ones, and a final touch to the mix, pickaxes will be not very damaging and slow to swing, but with the potential to cleave through dealing huge amounts of damage to organs.

Research is still pending, but I've managed to make some shortcuts to the behemoth that it is; i'll first compile research projects into large batches, then unravel them in the future. The original plan of attempting to make one research project per two weapons on average will be revised into a one project for 7-8 weapons. This potentially reduces research projects by a factor of 60%.

Several building arts were added, balanced and already coded in, requiring only the recipes they'll perform. Smelters having a HUGE amount of recipes is intended; you have two choices of smelting per ore, and about 200+ different ores, that amounts to 400+ recipes. The upside is you won't need to know every single metal and alloy in the game; most metals are not required for upgrading your base. If you want to only research half of the required metals, this is perfectly fine.

Finally, I've added more 20 weapons to the roster, a mixture of guns, ranged weapons and melee ones.

Jackalvin

-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Razzoriel

Quick update. I decided to simplify a lot of the current project for an earlier release. This includes research, which will look a little more bland but still make sense. If everything goes well, Ill adapt the mod to the 1.0 changes and release it a month or two after 1.0 officially hits the road. Most of the job will simply be adapting to the new code.

Ramsis

I wiped the commentary regarding a situation prior as well as the posts made between myself and Razz with Razz's blessings.

Thank you everyone.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Razzoriel

Quote from: Ramsis on July 11, 2018, 11:40:43 AM
I wiped the commentary regarding a situation prior as well as the posts made between myself and Razz with Razz's blessings.

Thank you everyone.
Everything solved, seemed like an internal issue being fixed by Ramsis.

Canute

It is good that people can communicate in good way rather then to throw things on the head.
And it isn't even close to year 5500.:-)