[1.0+] Outer Galaxies (AKA Rimworld 2.0; now with 70's T-levels)

Started by Razzoriel, October 30, 2016, 04:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razzoriel

Outer Galaxies roadmap:

• Biomes - 50% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Backstories - 70% ready (needs child backstories)
  • Weapons - 25% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Armor/Clothing - 25% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Traits- 70% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Resources (ores, food, etc) - 25% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Diseases - 50% ready (needs testing)
  • Animals - 25% ready (needs XML coding)

Unexpected things have been popping up. Nevertheless, the adult backstories are finished. I'll move to child backstories and try a "lite" version of Outer Galaxies for those interested in testing it. The "lite" version does not add items, recipes or anything of the sort; it simply adds/modifies vanilla backstories, thanks to Rainbeau's Backstories mod, and new traits. Every new change in the lite Outer Galaxies is supposed to be very vanilla-friendly; no OP backstories, no OP traits. So by testing it, you guys will be giving me a measure of how close im getting to balance.

It should be ready by next week. It won't be posted in the "Releases" forum because it is not supposed to be a mod, but simply a test. Obviously, anyone who wants to use it is free to do so.

After measuring this, I'll move to coding weapons, resources, recipes and workbenches.

Jackalvin

-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Harry_Dicks

Could we get anymore info on the biomes you have planned, or are you just modifying current biomes? For weapons and apparel, are you using any new textures? Do you know how many diseases you've added; will they play along well with Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion, Extended Human Body Simulation, and Diseases Overhauled?

Also I could possibly help with some xml. Are you planning on doing all of this yourself, or are you accepting help? Do you use Discord?

Razzoriel

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 15, 2018, 01:37:25 PM
Could we get anymore info on the biomes you have planned, or are you just modifying current biomes? For weapons and apparel, are you using any new textures? Do you know how many diseases you've added; will they play along well with Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion, Extended Human Body Simulation, and Diseases Overhauled?

Also I could possibly help with some xml. Are you planning on doing all of this yourself, or are you accepting help? Do you use Discord?
I've posted about the biomes in page 2. Im not modifying anything, simply adding to the existing roster of biomes.

Yes, I'm using new textures for all items. A huge roster of modders gave permission for use in Outer Galaxies, so if you run a modded Rimworld, some will be recognizable easily. I've possibly renamed and/or added descriptions or the artwork for a better synergy with everything else.

Outer Galaxies is supposed to be a stand-alone mod overhaul; it is not meant to be synergized with other mods, because of the sheer amount of content in it. I'll try to make specific changes to mods which don't add too much to the workload, but can't make promises.

I've added 25 new diseases. Half are low-severity illness which have very little effect in-game and serve as an immersion tool, the other half vary from potentially deadly bronchitis, shingles and dengue to very deadly chagas, cholera and tularemia.

Discord server on first post: https://discord.gg/jSRfp5B

Razzoriel

Outer Galaxies roadmap:

• Weapons - 25% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Armor/Clothing - 85% ready (needs testing)
  • Traits- 85% ready (needs testing)
  • Resources (ores, food, etc) - 25% ready (needs XML coding)

Armor/clothing coding ready. Resource coding ready. Traits coding ready. Testing should begin after the groundwork of the XMLs are ready.

Call me Arty

I'd just like to say, I wish the rest of the modders were this communicative. Even people as cool as Jecrell will be silent for weeks or months until we get "Yeah, new expansion done" or "Oh, by the way, we've now added something that completely alters how you handle the mod."
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Razzoriel

Quote from: Call me Arty on February 21, 2018, 08:12:54 PM
I'd just like to say, I wish the rest of the modders were this communicative. Even people as cool as Jecrell will be silent for weeks or months until we get "Yeah, new expansion done" or "Oh, by the way, we've now added something that completely alters how you handle the mod."
It's just a generic "yes, its alive, im working on it, please be patient" update most of time, but it shows to be efficient to tell people that it's happening.

Harry_Dicks

That's all I need to stay satisfactorily informed!

Razzoriel

Outer Galaxies roadmap:

• Weapons - 75% ready (needs testing)
  • Resources (ores, food, etc) - 50% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Buildings - 25% ready (needs XML coding)
  • Research - 25% ready (needs XML coding)

Weapons ready. Starting this week on resources, animals and biomes. Forgot to add two categories; buildings and research. Both are already planned out, and have their textures ripped created/lent from other mods. Research projects are a very sketchy part, and there is a reason why i left it as the last thing I'll finish. There are two alternatives for research right now:

- One-gun/weapon, one project (some exceptions). This ramps schizofrenic-levels of research trees, but every research is easy and accessible. Further down the tree, you'll face decisions if you focus and rush projects (research to much into rifles and heavy armor, you won't get other types of guns or lighter armor)
- Research projects are group-based.

Razzoriel

Outer Galaxies roadmap:

• Animals - 50% ready (needs XML coding)

Fabrics ready. Outer Galaxies will feature a special type of fabric called "aramids", which would be things like kevlar or twaron. No more making bulletproof vests out of metal. Polymer is going to be a crucial resource in Outer Galaxies if you want to make the more advanced stuff, and it will require oil (think 'raw chemfuel') or to be created.

I also had to make the new animals' wools, and rebalance the whole fabric mechanic of vanilla Rimworld that allows someone make a tuque out of muffalo wool and be able to venture out in temperatures below freezing naked. Obviously, it won't be solving the problem, but by nerfing insulation factors somehow and requiring actual clothing to be used to resist extreme cold weather it will reduce it somewhat and require colonies to actually have "summer" and "winter" sets of clothing (no more just putting up a duster and be done with).

On the research topic; i'll make the latter just to kick off the mod first, then slowly move to the more complicated first option.

Animals started in coding. Outer Galaxies adds 133 animals. So far, it's about 20% done, and its taking a long time to fit in the best drawsizes to correspond to reality, specially those from Megafauna, for example, that are extinct and need research to find out their correct sizes when they were alive.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Razzoriel on March 03, 2018, 10:35:53 PM
Outer Galaxies adds 133 animals.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Can we expect more things we have(/had) on earth, or are we going to see some things more in the Alpha Animals/Cosmic Horrors niche?
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Razzoriel

Quote from: Call me Arty on March 06, 2018, 01:27:06 AM
Quote from: Razzoriel on March 03, 2018, 10:35:53 PM
Outer Galaxies adds 133 animals.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Can we expect more things we have(/had) on earth, or are we going to see some things more in the Alpha Animals/Cosmic Horrors niche?
Im stealing using pawns from the following mods:

ZWAnimals
DinoRim
MegaFauna
ProjectDog
CKAnimals
RACP

Not every single animal from all mods is in there. I don't have the authorization from the Alpha Animals' modder, but if I do, I'd add a few, not all, in Outer Galaxies.

Focus is more on Earth animals, but DinoRim has 33 types of dinos, so you can count like 20% of the list purely dinos that are rare and restricted to one biome. Megafauna has 23, and they are also slated as rare spawns. The rest are Earth animals.

The ones I added myself from frankenspriting or messing around textures/colors/etc: Jackals, Coyotes, Daschunds, Malamutes, Dwarf Deers, Mouse Deers, Snapping Turtle, Giant Tortoise, Nutria, Terrapin, Turtle (different than tortoise), Giant Beaver, Mouse, Pygmy Hippo, Kodiak Bear.

Call me Arty

Huh. Suffice to say, I'm impressed. I look forward to full release more and more.

Razzoriel

Outer Galaxies roadmap:

• Animals - 60% ready (needs XML coding)

Nothing new to report; halfway done through the dinos.

Razzoriel

Outer Galaxies roadmap:

• Animals - 90% ready (needs sound XML coding)

Animals done and tested. A few textures still need some work but its quite playable at this state.

I plan in the future to add more animal sounds, like dinos, but it'll have to make do for other priorities. Next step is coding the new biomes. Animals were the biggest workload second to guns, so im pretty happy it is now in a playable state.

The weirdest thing happened this week. I was browsing 20th Century Guns' arsenal, and figured out Outer Galaxies makes little use of 7.92x33mm caliber (only the StG 44 uses it). Well, 20th cent has a few guns of that caliber. Went there, added four guns with their textures (pending their authorization for use) and Forgotten Weapons did a video on the czech LMG I was adding (for those not aware, Forgotten Weapons is an YT channel featuring a guy that shows all sorts of unusual guns, sometimes shooting them).