Self Help

Started by Lizardo, October 30, 2016, 07:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizardo

A colonist who has consciousness and any degree of mobility should be able to treat his own wounds. 
http://apatheticagnostic.com/ourchurch/intro.html
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ominous-Parallels-Freedom-America/dp/0452011175

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. - abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the Massacre at Béziers

bclewis

Agreed.  There should probably be a penalty to the effectiveness of self-treatment, depending on nature/severity of injury.

Lizardo

How much of a penalty do you need to put a bandaid on yourself?

The only requirement should be consciousness and a usable psudopod.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. - abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the Massacre at Béziers

O Negative

<gunshot wound>
"Just stick a band aid on it"
Lol

Also, what do you mean by "usable pseudopod?"
Only thing that comes to my mind when I see the word pseudopod is protists :P

Arctic_fox

Quote from: Lizardo on November 01, 2016, 02:53:51 PM

I would love to see you patch your self up with little/no medical knowledge and a bandage  while you have a broken arm and 12 gunshot wounds, or to patch up your own arm after it gets blown off and fills your side with shrap or patch your leg laying in the dirt with no medical supplies on hand after a suv sized megaspider chews it off and is attempting to eat your face.

Or to apply said bandage to a full body third degree burn and broken nose when you get hit in the face with a molotove, frankly humans have a pain threshold, there should be a point where a wound is too severe to patch up on your own, sure a single gunshot to the shoulder or a few bruses or mildnto moderste cut are one thing, and if your a doctor or medic you should know how to treat your self to an extent which would make worse wounds self treatable but there is a point where you go into shock or blood loss makes you lose your ability to think and someone else needs to help you.

Besides a bandage aint going to fix half the crap we do to our poor pawns.

DirectorBright

Quote from: Arctic_fox on November 02, 2016, 06:00:51 PM
Quote from: Lizardo on November 01, 2016, 02:53:51 PM

I would love to see you patch your self up with little/no medical knowledge and a bandage  while you have a broken arm and 12 gunshot wounds, or to patch up your own arm after it gets blown off and fills your side with shrap or patch your leg laying in the dirt with no medical supplies on hand after a suv sized megaspider chews it off and is attempting to eat your face.

Or to apply said bandage to a full body third degree burn and broken nose when you get hit in the face with a molotove, frankly humans have a pain threshold, there should be a point where a wound is too severe to patch up on your own, sure a single gunshot to the shoulder or a few bruses or mildnto moderste cut are one thing, and if your a doctor or medic you should know how to treat your self to an extent which would make worse wounds self treatable but there is a point where you go into shock or blood loss makes you lose your ability to think and someone else needs to help you.

Besides a bandage aint going to fix half the crap we do to our poor pawns.

I don't think he means when they're in shock dude, he means if someone got a bite from a wolf and they're otherwise fine, they should be able to bandage it. I agree, you should just take a penalty to the medical quality.
Healer got his legs torn off by hellspawn today, bugs exploded from someones floor, and its been a toxic fallout nuclear winter for the past week. Then a solar flare hit.
Such is life in the rimworld.

Alpha393

correct me if I'm wrong, but could you not wrap a bandage and some herbs over a bullet wound if the bullet passed through your body and didn't hit anything strictly vital to living or applying said bandage?

O Negative

Quote from: Alphanoob393 on November 03, 2016, 05:30:30 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but could you not wrap a bandage and some herbs over a bullet wound if the bullet passed through your body and didn't hit anything strictly vital to living or applying said bandage?

The primary thing you want to do after being shot is stop the bleeding. This usually involves a tourniquet, and yeah, some bandages and medicine to clean the wound. Now, I've never been shot, so I can't say for sure; but, I can imagine I wouldn't be the greatest at treating my own bullet wound. That is, I wouldn't be as good as a second party treating my bullet wound, even though I know how to do it. That's the argument.

Treatment quality when self-treating wounds should be negatively affected, even if it is a minor calculation.

Alpha393

Of course, it shouldn't be flawless. They should at least be able to treat bruises, minor bites, scratches, and pretty much anything short of a stab, gunshot, or shredding by themselves. I can hold an icepack to a bruise, why can't they?

O Negative

I've never witnessed ice packs in the game, so maybe that's the reason ;)
Do minor injuries exist in RimWorld? :o
If a missing finger is not considered minor, and an animal can bite a person's finger off with one hit, and animals bite with the same severity each time, is any bit minor? Just some food for thought lol

In all seriousness, I think the current drug system is one step towards self-treatment, and it's done well.
I've made a pain-reducing medication mod for my own personal playthroughs, although it's not quite what we're looking for in this thread.

Again, I agree with the idea of self-treatment. I don't agree with the idea that self-treatment should be just as effective as regular second-party treatment :)

Alpha393

Bruises and scratches that don't take off fingers are what I consider minor.

Fingers really need more hp. Yes they're as resilient as a carrot IRL, but come on, no gene manipulation at all for increased durability, especially for something so important?

Lizardo

Actually there are in the present day kits to stop gunshot and other penetrative wounds from bleeding. 

Yea, some things might be tough but a lot more is possible than you think.   Take a view of the last episode of "The Knick".

O Negative

Quote from: Alphanoob393 on November 03, 2016, 06:43:20 PM
Bruises and scratches that don't take off fingers are what I consider minor.

Fingers really need more hp. Yes they're as resilient as a carrot IRL, but come on, no gene manipulation at all for increased durability, especially for something so important?

Yes, they do lol. You just never notice it, because those damage types are relabeled when a part is destroyed.
A 1dmg attack can crush/cut off an arm if the arm is already damaged enough. Broken system is broken :P

Everything needs more HP, honestly. Bigger numbers make balancing things so much easier.

Quote from: Lizardo on November 03, 2016, 06:52:41 PM
Actually there are in the present day kits to stop gunshot and other penetrative wounds from bleeding. 

Yea, some things might be tough but a lot more is possible than you think.   Take a view of the last episode of "The Knick".

No doubt! There are plenty of medications which reduce blood flow (temporarily), and that's huge!
Not claiming it's impossible, just stating it's harder to perform on yourself than it is to have someone else perform it on you for you.
I'd be willing to compromise more painful injuries, ultimately affecting consciousness and manipulation abilities above a certain threshold 8)