Sterile Tile and Food Poisoning

Started by ArguedPiano, October 31, 2016, 06:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozobub

Quote from: MarvinKosh on November 01, 2016, 06:21:37 PM
Some workbenches actually reduce cleanliness, by the way. So don't build them in the same room as your stove(s).
Wish I'd known that long ago - lol.  My "main production room" has nearly all of my workbenches, including 4 stoves.

That said, very few of my pawns refuse to clean and most have cleaning as a high priority, so it hasn't been a problem.
Thanks, belgord!

Seeker

Refrigerate your kitchen, keep it @ 40 degrees

Bozobub

...Hm.  I DO already have full climate control.  Interesting idea, I'll give it a whirl; thanks!

Here's a shot of my current colony (not laid out according to much research here, mind you - lol)
Thanks, belgord!

monsieurpooh

Quote from: carbon on November 01, 2016, 12:16:46 PM
*sigh* My code reading skills could clearly use some work...

So to make this explicitly obvious,
assuming you have a cook with a skill of 10 (poisoning base chance = 0.10%),
then cleanliness of the room will modify it, so that:

Maximum dirtiness = 0.16% chance
Maximum cleanliness = 0.07% chance

Right?

----

If that's the case it's almost never worth the effort to clean stuff unless you have a really terrible cook, since the maximum impact of cleanliness is typically less than that of gaining one level in cooking skill. (e.g. a level 9 cook has a 0.20% chance of poisoning)

You would be far better off using the sterile tile silver to buy a cooking neurotrainer to reduce poisoning chances.

Utterly completely wrong. First it would be incredibly weird for code to represent literal percent instead of actual values (I'm actually convinced that the variable labeled "percent" is actually just the direct probability value). Secondly it's really weird to spend time developing something with such absurdly small effect on the game that they might as well have left it out; that should have triggered your sanity check bells. Thirdly if you read carefully the 0.7 and 1.6 is indeed a multiplicative multiplier on the cook's base score. That being said, it raises the question about why the game is able to definitively give you the cause and say "food poisoning caused by dirty kitchen" when in fact both the kitchen and cook are entwined together... of course this might be because this is outdated by 2-3 years. Yes I registered and necro'd this thread just because I couldn't let such a blatant misinterpretation go unanswered.

bbqftw

Food poisoning code was changed anyways, now cooking on dirt floor is 100% safe

Limdood

Quote from: bbqftw on April 04, 2019, 07:09:44 PM
Food poisoning code was changed anyways, now cooking on dirt floor is 100% safe

But...colonists still get food poisoning with the message "dirty cooking area"

Kirby23590

Just don't put the Butcher's Table next to the Cooking stove, since the blood and any filth type like dirt actually makes the meal that you cooked get food poisoning...

Always tell your cleaner and friendly janitor to sweep the kitchen of any dirt or blood in the cooking stove's area, otherwise there's a lot of vomiting because of food poisoning from the blood from the Thrumbo that you just butchered, since it was next to your cooking stove.

Kinda funny that someone replied to a 2016 post... :P

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Limdood

Quote from: Kirby23590 on April 04, 2019, 10:36:55 PM
Just don't put the Butcher's Table next to the Cooking stove, since the blood and any filth type like dirt actually makes the meal that you cooked get food poisoning...

Always tell you cleaner to sweep the kitchen or the cooking stove's area, otherwise lot's vomiting from the blood from the thrumbo that you just butched, since it was next to your cooking stove.
But blood and vomit and dirt just lower the "cleanliness" score of a room.

A dirt floor has a base cleanliness below zero (dirty). 

my comment was to bbqwtf saying cooking on a dirt floor is 100% safe, when there are still food poisonings with the message "dirty cooking area" and dirt floors have a dirty rating, functionally the same as a clean floor with blood and dirt, or a sterile floor with a LOT of blood and dirt.

This leads to the inevitable assumption that room cleanliness is a factor in food poisoning chance, or AT LEAST that below-0 cleanliness scores will increase food poisoning chance.

By that logic, dirt floors are certainly not safe and will inevitably eventually cause food poisoning, and sterile floors have the benefit of having a positive cleanliness rating, meaning it takes more blood, dirt, filth, and vomit to actually push that cleanliness score to negative.

Kirby23590

Well they are expensive, i prefer stone floor tiles...

There's a good reason i prefer janitors and cleaners to do the work, sure it the sterile tiles are now cheap if you have a lot silver from trading stuff, but i prefer good old stone floor tiles...

So i don't know if cooking em' is safe in dirt or in sand terrain, but it's always the 75% chance because of your cooking chief's skills and the filth around it...

Right now i'm in a Desert colony. So i have a nutrient paste dispenser and tons of potatoes... Since they don't create food poisoning but at a cost of a mood penalty of -4 of eating nutrient paste... Kinda better than getting food poisoning...

Canute

I got once a selfcleaning floor type from a mod, but i don't know the mod anymore i think it was a B18 mod.
But such kind of floor is ideal for kitchen/hospital even when the floor is very expensive.

Limdood

Quote from: Kirby23590 on April 05, 2019, 11:47:30 AM
Well they are expensive, i prefer stone floor tiles...

Just as a head's up, the metal tiles in V1.0 have a cleanliness bonus too...not as big as sterile, but it's something.

I also have a number of things I do to keep food poisoning under control:
- put it in a separate room from the butcher table.  If I need, I'll leave the door between the rooms until i get autodoors (I use the freezers mod, so my kitchen isn't a giant pile of various foods on the floor).  This drastically reduces blood.
- Use clean tiles.  Usually sterile, but with all the other precautions, even metal would be enough to nearly never get food poisoning.
- DON'T allow thru-traffic through the kitchen.  Make sure the kitchen only has one entrance (2 doors if you separate the butcher room, but lay it out in a way that colonists never path through the kitchen as a shortcut) so that animals and colonists have minimal time walking through.  This cuts down on dirt and animal filth.
- I add floors to my whole base, and I personally use the doormats mod to reduce the mess anywhere but near the base or field entrances.  This further reduces the chance of dirt getting anywhere...including the kitchen.
- keep number of cooks low early on, until they get trained up quickly from constant cooking all day.

Leaves you with high skill cooks, with floors with a positive cleanliness rating, so that even if an occasional bit of blood, dirt, filth, or vomit gets in the kitchen after the other precautions, it's much less likely to drop the room cleanliness to negative before the cleaners get around to it.

bbqftw

I suggest you read the game code. The increased food poisoning penalty only kicks in at -2 as of 1.0, much lower than a dirt floor. Since pawns do not trash or track dirt onto dirt floors, this makes dirt floors effectively safer for cooking than even sterile tiles.

Here: https://i.imgur.com/u1QDQaa.png

In the optimized meta, floorless is king.

Never reading code and making 'commonsense' assumptions is why most advice for this game is really misguided.

Kirby23590

Remember i said i'm in a Desert and there's not a lot of food outside hunting and farming...

Also yeah i have a Mod that adds extra floor tiles from T's Floors... So of course i would want to make my colony nice so my guys won't be unhappy, and it's in a modded game...

Also i have a cooking stove for purely making pemmican not just for training my cooks, but also for caravaning and quests, like i was able to get a infinite chemfuel reactor from a item stash quest, and got some colonists since a refugee was a lover with someone...

Right now i need to check what her cooking skill is now later... Good to see the terrain doesn't matter anymore if it would cause food poisoning for the cooking stoves...

EDIT: Alright i checked on my cooks in fact two of them... Minese has 10 cooking and Eli has 9 Cooking, so they can cooked simple or fine meals, right now i have a third one Yuki who has 4 and is passionate on it, so he's on butchering duty right now...

BoogieMan

bbqftw