[A15] Ancestral Spirits - ALPHA

Started by MinutesToWeekend, October 31, 2016, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinutesToWeekend

You Ancestors are watching you, and they are hard to impress. To ignore them would be foolish, though - they're the foundation of your tribal magic, and if they're displeased are more than capable of calling down storms, plagues, and divine punishments. If, on the other hand, you manage to honor and please your ancestors, they can gift you with Magic, which is the basis for all your Petitions - Petitions which can call rain or lightning, or heal sick or injured tribe members.

Every so often, your Ancestors will drop in to visit! They don't need to eat or sleep, but they do get bored sometimes. Mostly they're here just to see the sights! Ugliness and disorder will anger them, but beautiful and rich surroundings will please them. When your Ancestors return to their Anchor, they will pass judgement on your village. If they're pleased, they will grant you more magic when the season turns. If they're not, you may even lose magic. If they're incredibly displeased you may suffer a curse, so ensure that this does not happen!

The Magic that you accumulate can be spent on Petitions. The amount of magic spent is equal to the number of attached and lit Braziers (those are the buildings on the left/right of the Shrine). You can spend between double and half the listed magic price. The chance of success at half magic is slightly over half, and at double they will for sure grant your petition. Vary your spend depending on urgency, but overall you will probably have better long-term results by using less on more attempts.

# Current Petitions

+ smite attackers - call upon your Ancestors to destroy your attackers with lightning
+ beating rain - call upon your Ancestors to bring rain
+ howling wind - call upon your Ancestors to bring wind
+ sweltering heat - call upon your Ancestors to bring a heat wave
+ icy chill - call upon your Ancestors to bring a cold snap
+ help heal wounds - call upon your Ancestors to help your wounded warriors heal
+ help cure sickness - call upon your Ancestors to help banish sickness
+ bless crops - call upon your Ancestors to make your crops grow faster and survive ill conditions
+ cleanse the skies - call upon your Ancestors to blow away unnatural weather

# Optional Mod Mods

Wishmaster has made a mod mod which allows Ancestors to pass through doors (because they're ghosts!) and causes enemies to ignore them so they don't get caught up infinitely attempting to attack the unkillable ghosts. Posted here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27186.msg277229#msg277229

# Disclaimer

This mod is current very much a work-in-progress! It can be applied to in-progress games, but don't use it on any saves you're not prepared to use.

# Installation Information

Basic installation:
- If there is an existing version of this mod, delete the old version
- Download and unzip into the RimWorld/Mods folder
- Activate the mod and restart RimWorld

## Adding to existing saves

This mod is extremely unstable when being added to an existing save! Due to the nature of the way the mod injects MapComponents, it has a possibility of failing when being loaded into running saves. If you add this into an existing save, make sure to back up the save first. This issue will be addressed when the CCL update is released.

*This mod adds a hidden Ancestor Faction!* This means that if you attempt to add it to an ongoing game, you must also have Orion's Faction Discovery mod (forums https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25159.0 or steam http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751841890) or this mod will throw an error when loaded. Starting a new game does not require the Faction Discovery mod and will work fine.

## Compatibility

This mod should be safe to use with any mods which do not detour any of the same functions. The detours are listed below. If you discover an issue, please post in the thread here (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27186.0) so I can add it to the known conflicts.

### Known Mod Conflicts

+ This mod conflicts with Hospitality. I've added a compatibility mod, which can be found here: https://github.com/MoyTW/MTW_AncestorsHospitalityCompatibility

### Detours

This mod detours the following functions, and will conflict with any mods that also detour them:

+ Verse.AI.GenAI.CanBeArrested
+ Verse.AI.Job.ExposeData
+ RimWorld.Pawn_ApparalTracker.get_PsychologicallyNude
+ RimWorld.Pawn_NeedsTracker.ShouldHaveNeed

# Download

See here: https://github.com/MoyTW/MTW_AncestorSpirits/releases

At some future point I may put it on Steam, but I don't feel it's nearly done enough for that.

# Thanks To
+ Ratsys (examples and injection code)
+ Orion (examples and code from Hospitality)

MinutesToWeekend

[Continued]

Changelog and features: https://github.com/MoyTW/MTW_AncestorSpirits/blob/master/About/Features.md

##########

This is the first mod I've posted. Any suggestions/bits of constructive feedback are welcome, especially on balancing/ideas on how to make it fun. The things in it right now are a ton of random things that I basically said "Wouldn't it be cool if you could Do X!?" so...yeah, there was no effort in making sure it was, well, balanced.

I suspect that the "Call rain" petition is basically worthless to everybody. Maybe if plants needed water.

Also my art is what is usually referred to as "Programmer art" - that is, terrible. If there are any artists out there who can actually do that sort of stuff, I'd gladly put those assets in.

jmababa

It would be great if this is compatible with medieval mod now I have a Greek settlement that started as a tribe

MinutesToWeekend

The compatibilities section is kind of misleading now that I read it. It should be fully compatible with the Medieval Times mod, unless it happens to override one of the same functions that this one overrides. I'll re-write that section to be more clear.

AtomicRavioli

Congrats on the release :) I have been anticipating this mod since seeing it on the unfinished forums.

kaptain_kavern

Hey hurrah it's finished!

Congratz for the release. You got me interested/intrigued since your post in the WIP forum, so I'm looking forward to test this one.

Cheers

jmababa

me too I've been anticipating this mod. found out it conflicts with medieval mods factions sorry can't use this yet

Nommy

Nice idea!

Quote from: MinutesToWeekend on October 31, 2016, 11:34:59 PM
I suspect that the "Call rain" petition is basically worthless to everybody. Maybe if plants needed water.
This sounds useful for putting out fires when your pawns are busy, especially large bush fires that are threatening your crops or base.

MinutesToWeekend

Quote from: jmababa on November 01, 2016, 02:10:40 AM
me too I've been anticipating this mod. found out it conflicts with medieval mods factions sorry can't use this yet

Ack! That's a serious oversight on my part - I forgot about how Factions interact with already-running games. Grr.

E: Well the easy fix is to use Faction Discovery. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25159.0

I'll update the README about using this in in-progress games.

EE: Updated README, info post.

jmababa

Ill try that but i really want to see my factions at start

NathanxS

Hey, i havent tried out this mod yet but had a few questions.

How does impressiveness, space, wealth and beaty contribute to the mood of the spirit? I kind of feel like this will make the game very hard because of 2 reasons.
1. if you make a shrine that is beatiful and wealthy with art etc. you lure stronger raiders to you. Either your spirits smite is enough to take care of them or well... you die as 20 raiders with energy weapons go against your tribe with clubs and bows.

2. if you do NOT  built a nice shrine, you displease the spirits which lead to diseases, bad weather ,heatwaves etc, which can easily wipe out your tribe.

I think its a cool idea, but needs some fine tuning.either by tweaking the numbers of the above problem, or by adding weapons(magic wands?), armor, or "divine blessings" that give extra protection or accuracy or make your colonist work faster etc.0

RemingtonRyder

Building wealth contributes 0.55% to the base points when determining raid size. I think you'll be okay as long as you don't make the statues out of gold or something else which is ridiculously expensive.

MinutesToWeekend

Quote from: jmababa on November 01, 2016, 11:39:18 PM
Ill try that but i really want to see my factions at start

Faction Discovery is only required if you want to add the mod to an in-progress save. You can start a new save without it if you want.

Quote from: NathanxS on November 02, 2016, 09:35:06 AM
Hey, i havent tried out this mod yet but had a few questions.

How does impressiveness, space, wealth and beaty contribute to the mood of the spirit? I kind of feel like this will make the game very hard because of 2 reasons.

Balancing has not been a priority, but I don't think this will be too much of an issue.

Right now the weights are exactly the same as a normal pawn. If your pawns think a room is beautiful, spacious, or rich, so will your Ancestors. You don't incur Super Raids just by adding a few statues to your colony to keep your colonists' moods up, and unless you do something really weird you won't incur Super Raids here either.

Besides if you can build Jade statues you already should have plenty of Charge Rifles and Power Armor.

The curses really aren't that punishing, either - the blight for example only wipes out a portion of one type of crop, and the curse sicknesses only target one pawn at a time. I think this mod might actually make the game much easier in its current state.

If there are any balance changes you think might be helpful once you try it out, please give feedback.

TOWC

Just a quick question.
Is it possible to kill visiting ancestors in game? If yeah, can they be butchered into some kind of op leather and op meat and what are the consenquences?

DepOpt

Quote from: TOWC on November 02, 2016, 12:50:51 PM
Just a quick question.
Is it possible to kill visiting ancestors in game? If yeah, can they be butchered into some kind of op leather and op meat and what are the consenquences?
An important question in the true spirit (hah) of Rimworld.
Ignore this notice