[A15] Ancestral Spirits - ALPHA

Started by MinutesToWeekend, October 31, 2016, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tammabanana

Quote from: MinutesToWeekend on November 06, 2016, 04:42:02 PM
Ancestors are coded to occasionally tour the *outside* of the colony. The reason for this is to ensure you can't just lock up wall up your Shrine when they visit and thereby prevent them from seeing the horrifying Corpse Fields just outside of your colony, but as a side-effect they'll let Manhunters in. That seems hilarious so I think I'll just keep in. Thinking about it now actually could just wall up your Shrine because I never ended up getting around to implementing the malus for not being able to tour. Hmm. Well that's on the to-do list now.

In terms on Ancestors taking damage, I've fixed that completely on my local and they can no longer take damage. At all. I'm going to try and also edit their behaviours so that if they get attacked by something that's insultable, they'll fight back by constantly insulting them and if the enemy isn't vulnerable to that (mechanoids, animals) they'll just ignore them.

That makes sense!

Quote from: MinutesToWeekend on November 06, 2016, 04:42:02 PM
Losing 16 magic is a lot of magic loss! I was trying to go for more around +- 6, so 16 magic means that either they showed up while your colony was on fire and dead people everywhere or I've mis-tuned the numbers.

Trying to think what the colony looked like at the time. It wasn't on fire.

• The shrine room was ~8x8-ish, initially on rough stone flooring, cave walls. The ancestors probably visited twice before I managed to smooth the floors, four times before I put up wood walls. They were mad about their dull shrine room pretty much all season.
  • It was early in the game; I had a few pets; I didn't have anybody set to cleaning. I had a wall up to keep predators up. I also dug a storage room into a mountain wall, within my walls, and put animal beds in there, but didn't bother with a door. Later I discovered this made the entire courtyard into a "Barn" room. Between the outdoors dirt, any leathers in the storage room, chunks I hadn't moved outside, the animal filth, and possibly some super-stinky wild corpse flowers from the CK animals/plants mod within my wall, I may have made myself take some serious hits to cleanliness/beauty.
  • I think that was my first try, in which I didn't realize the ancestors wanted a shrine room all to themselves, and I put it in the same very-first-roofed-house with my initial get-the-wood-under-a-roof stockpile and colonist beds. So the ancestors were claiming that they didn't have a shrine room at all, and they were pretty mad about it, until I got those beds out.
  • Shrine room after that was super bare - I was still trying to set up shop for survival and hadn't made any art or plant pots or anything for them yet.

I got more like -6 in later tries, so it may have had a lot to do with me not fully understanding all the mechanics (both of the mod and the game at large). Maybe the Shrine's description could include some text on how the ancestors prefer their shrine room/what will anger them?
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Wishmaster

Quote from: MinutesToWeekend on November 06, 2016, 11:20:14 PM
Quote from: Wishmaster on November 06, 2016, 04:46:19 PM
I had another issue that happens only with hospitality loaded.
When loading a savegame, it says you don't have shrine.

I figure out that the "spawners" list is not loaded properly from the file. If I save the game after building a shrine, the  list is present. But if I load and save again, the list is empty.

Is this happening with *only* Hospitality + Ancestors + Compatibility? I looked at the error log and attempted to reproduce the issue by downloading a bunch of mods and starting a new game, saving, quitting and loading, but I can't get it to reproduce locally. When I have only the above 3 it seems to work fine for me. Also I added all the mods I could identify and track down from your list (I have no idea what DoIT is and Google isn't really helpful) and started a new game, saved, loaded, couldn't get the NPE for the RoomWorker. I suspect it has something to do with injecting it into a running game combined with some spooky mod interaction.

Thanks for the report, but unfortunately I'm at a loss as for how to fix your issue there.

I just reproduced the issue again with ONLY Hospitality + Ancestors + Compatibility.
-Create a new game
-Build a shrine
-Save then load
-Save and load again (important).

At this point, it says I don't have shrine.

Canute

I think this isn't only for this mod combo, similar happen with Emergency power switch and Trade caravan spot.
Sometimes not allways, the settings of the switches and the trade spot are gone.

MinutesToWeekend

Quote from: Wishmaster on November 07, 2016, 09:24:23 AM
I just reproduced the issue again with ONLY Hospitality + Ancestors + Compatibility.
-Create a new game
-Build a shrine
-Save then load

Thanks a ton for taking the time to look at this. I don't think I'll have much time to work on this during the week but when I get more time I'll definitely take a look.

Wishmaster

Quote from: MinutesToWeekend on November 07, 2016, 12:25:41 PM
-Create a new game
-Build a shrine
-Save then load

Thanks a ton for taking the time to look at this. I don't think I'll have much time to work on this during the week but when I get more time I'll definitely take a look.

You're welcome. I really want to play this mod :).

jmababa

Quote from: MinutesToWeekend on November 06, 2016, 11:20:14 PM
Quote from: Wishmaster on November 06, 2016, 04:46:19 PM
I had another issue that happens only with hospitality loaded.
When loading a savegame, it says you don't have shrine.

I figure out that the "spawners" list is not loaded properly from the file. If I save the game after building a shrine, the  list is present. But if I load and save again, the list is empty.

Is this happening with *only* Hospitality + Ancestors + Compatibility? I looked at the error log and attempted to reproduce the issue by downloading a bunch of mods and starting a new game, saving, quitting and loading, but I can't get it to reproduce locally. When I have only the above 3 it seems to work fine for me. Also I added all the mods I could identify and track down from your list (I have no idea what DoIT is and Google isn't really helpful) and started a new game, saved, loaded, couldn't get the NPE for the RoomWorker. I suspect it has something to do with injecting it into a running game combined with some spooky mod interaction.

Thanks for the report, but unfortunately I'm at a loss as for how to fix your issue there.

-Create a new game
-Build a shrine
-Save then load

Yup at this point I had to uninstall mod cause of the very same bug

Several Puffins

This is such a cool idea! I've been thinking that the denizens of the rim seem pretty... agnostic? I'd considered trying to make a community church mod but, bar giving people a new place to pray and meditate, it didn't feel like it'd do much. The magic angle really introduces something new!

SteelRev

Tho I'd like to see a church  MOD. Actually give a reason to put the marriage spot somewhere

MinutesToWeekend

Quote from: SteelRev on November 09, 2016, 07:07:33 PM
Tho I'd like to see a church  MOD. Actually give a reason to put the marriage spot somewhere

There is this, which is...kind of a church mod? https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=22672.0 It's not updated for A15 though. It was one of the things I looked at while spinning this mod up.

SteelRev

That's cool,  don't really care for the fsm bit of it tho

masterpain

I'm having trouble with the mod.  I can't place "Shrine of the Ancestors".  Everytime I place it to be built, once it's finish it disappears.  I even tried god mode and placed it but it wont place.  "Shrine of the Ancestors" is on the menu but it just wont place.  "Shrine Brazier" seems to place just fine. 

I followed the instruction on mod order.  Not sure what else I could be doing wrong.

Tammabanana

Quote from: MinutesToWeekend on November 07, 2016, 12:58:53 AM
New tag up: https://github.com/MoyTW/MTW_AncestorSpirits/releases/tag/v0.1d

Doesn't fix whatever issues the mod has with Wishmaster's game, but it does include some improvements to the Ancestor pawns:

+ Make Ancestors look ghostly
+ Make Ancestors completely immune to all forms of attack
+ Disable Ancestor reactions to melee attackers

This is working well! I had an ancestor wandering around with a manhunter elephant; the spirit came back to the house with the elephant chasing her. The spirit came inside; the elephant banged on the door for a while, and then drifted off. Ancestor went back outside, and this repeated a few times. I lost a couple of doors and hid my people in their bedrooms until the ancestors led the elephant off somewhere else again, and the living could rebuild the doors. The maddened elephant banging on the doors trying to get at the ghost was pretty funny, and seems appropriate.

Next question: do the ancestors ever sit down, or try to increase their comfort in any way? Mine are complaining that they're Uncomfortable. They sometimes spawn with nonzero comfort, but it seems to be always going downwards, and is often flat-out zero. I haven't seen them avail themselves of the cushy chairs I provided.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

MinutesToWeekend

-Create a new game
-Build a shrine
-Save then load

Quote from: jmababa on November 09, 2016, 07:06:06 AM
Yup at this point I had to uninstall mod cause of the very same bug

Well, drat. I can't get this bug to reproduce locally, even after following the exact same steps. I added in logging locally and it doesn't appear to get loaded improperly. If either of you could provide a save file where this has happened I might be able to look into that.

There was a bug with the Ancestor thought on Shrine Rooms (in some cases you would always get the -20 mood, even if the Shrine was in a room) but in that the Shrine was still recognized as existing, the logic for resolving the rooms was just wrong. I have a fix for that.

Quote from: masterpain on November 10, 2016, 08:53:54 PM
I'm having trouble with the mod.  I can't place "Shrine of the Ancestors".  Everytime I place it to be built, once it's finish it disappears.  I even tried god mode and placed it but it wont place.  "Shrine of the Ancestors" is on the menu but it just wont place.  "Shrine Brazier" seems to place just fine. 

I followed the instruction on mod order.  Not sure what else I could be doing wrong.

That is really curious. There's a restriction on placing the Shrine adjacent to other items, which should disallow you from placing it if there are already-existing blockers, but if you place it free of other adjacent items it should work just fine.

There is no case in which it should despawn after being constructed and I don't know of any reason for that to happen. I'm at a loss, sorry. If you post you save and debug.log I might be able to investigate further; otherwise I'm afraid I don't have enough to go on.

Quote from: Tammabanana on November 10, 2016, 08:58:33 PM
This is working well! I had an ancestor wandering around with a manhunter elephant; the spirit came back to the house with the elephant chasing her. The spirit came inside; the elephant banged on the door for a while, and then drifted off. Ancestor went back outside, and this repeated a few times. I lost a couple of doors and hid my people in their bedrooms until the ancestors led the elephant off somewhere else again, and the living could rebuild the doors. The maddened elephant banging on the doors trying to get at the ghost was pretty funny, and seems appropriate.

Next question: do the ancestors ever sit down, or try to increase their comfort in any way? Mine are complaining that they're Uncomfortable. They sometimes spawn with nonzero comfort, but it seems to be always going downwards, and is often flat-out zero. I haven't seen them avail themselves of the cushy chairs I provided.

That's a cool story! Wishmaster has submitted some code related to making Ancestors able to pass through doors without opening them, so I'm going to take a look at that and see if I can integrate it.

As far as comfort goes, I have a local patch that actually just removes comfort from spirits because it doesn't really make sense.

Canute

Quote+ Make Ancestors look ghostly
    + Make Ancestors completely immune to all forms of attack
    + Disable Ancestor reactions to melee attackers
About the manhunters,
they only attack human if i remember right, they don't attack animals or mechanoids.
What race does the ancestor got ? Can't you create a race that manhunter don't attack.
Alternate why not have animal spirits as ancestors (tribe style). Maybe you can build differnt animal shrines/totems with different magic effects.
But you only can have one for  the colony.

Wishmaster

Here I made a patch for this mod.

Ancestors will now cross the doors without opening them and will be ignored but hostiles.
However they are not immune to damages and hostiles will sometime hit them once before leaving them...

It can be loaded in any order.

Download