Impressiveness Calculator (v4)

Started by Rock5, November 02, 2016, 12:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

After reading some posts about impressiveness I decided to put the wiki formulas mentioned into an Excel Spreadsheet so I could play with the numbers and see what's what. For more info on the formulas, visit the wiki.

It occurred to me that, seeing as improving the lower stats has a greater impact, then there should be an optimum value for each stat to attain the desired Impressiveness. So I started by tweaking the values until I got the optimum values for "little bit impressive" and "impressive". Turns out most people are not making the rooms large enough. At the right size it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get the room to impressive.

Note: By "Optimum" I mean all the stats result in the same factor value. That's the value used to calculate the impressiveness.

Then I thought it would be a lot easier to just put in the target impressiveness and let the spreadsheet calculate the separate values.

After a few hours reversing the formulas (which was not easy), I decided to share it. So here it is.

Let me know what you think.
---------------

Here's a snapshot of what it looks like. Note: I've hidden some columns to make it more presentable and protected it to stop accidental edits to the wrong cells, but you can unprotect it if you like to edit it or show the extra cells. There's no password.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rock5

Also I made an effort to try to make some rooms as close as possible to the optimum values and here's what I came up with.

---

First the Little bit impressive room.

The optimum values according to my spreadsheet are about:

• Wealth: 2700
  • Space: 96.4
  • Beauty: 4.63

This room's features:

• 7x11 Sized room
  • Wooden double bed (excellent)
  • Wooden table (short) (superior)
  • Wooden dining chair (superior)
  • Marble small sculpture (superior)
  • Heater
  • Carpets
---

Next the impressive room.

The optimum values I was trying to hit were:

• Wealth: 3300
  • Space: 117.85
  • Beauty: 5.65

This rooms features:

• 9x10 Sized room
  • Wooden bed (excellent)
  • Wooden table (short) (excellent)
  • Wooden dining chair (excellent)
  • Marble small sculpture (superior)
  • Wooden Small Sculpture (excellent)
  • Wooden small sculpture (superior)
  • Heater
  • Carpets
As you can see you don't need crazy expensive furniture to get impressive.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Jimyoda

Well done! (There appears to be a typo on the second sheet at M22, should be -0.05?)
What you made there is, shall we say... impressive.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

Rock5

Thanks. I've updated it.

I nearly posted it without the reverse log stuff. It means it would have only been accurate up to 100 impressiveness but then I stuck with it and finally nailed it.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

PieTau

i found a error
it should also make the value inside the ln negative, or error
= IF(ABS(K5)<1;K5;IF(K5>0; 1+LOG(K5);-1-LOG(K5)))
= IF(ABS(K5)<1;K5;IF(K5>0; 1+LOG(K5);-1-LOG(-K5)))

and the second part doesn't take into account that there is a room limit of 350space (250tiles) or the beauty limit of 1000
makes it only capable of going to 126 impresiveness

it is very impresive and fancy sheet, i just was a little sad that it couldn't go higher

Rock5

Nice catch. Updated.

I can barely follow the math myself and I created the thing. :P

I've also made the Final Factor visible in the top part. This is useful for when you enter an existing rooms stats to see which stat you need to work on. You should work at raising the lowest factor.

For those who want to understand, the final impressiveness is calculated by getting the average of all the final factors and then averaging that with the lowest factor (then multiplying this by 100). So the lowest factor is counted 2 times in the calculation.

So raising the lowest value has a double impact than raising the others. That's why you should always raise the lowest one and why having them even is optimal.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rock5

Ok, turns out log and ln are not always the same thing.  :-[ So impressiveness over 100 was giving wrong values.

So updated (again).

Changes:
- Fixed values for returned values that used the natural logarithm.
- Fixed bug in bottom part that could return wrong values with certain cleanliness values, there was a mistake in the logic.
- Tidies up formulas.
- More reformatting and column/row renaming.
- Put Space before Beauty like in the room stat tooltip.
- Added title line and version number.

Let me know if there is anything I can change to make it more user friendly.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rock5

Quote from: PieTau on November 03, 2016, 05:34:05 AM
and the second part doesn't take into account that there is a room limit of 350space (250tiles) or the beauty limit of 1000
makes it only capable of going to 126 impresiveness
Nearly forgot about this. With the corrections to the formula it now goes up to 138 impressiveness before space reaches 350.

I don't expect people to be making rooms that impressive so I don't think the effort of including the space limit is worth it, it was a head ache just working out and including the log calculations so it could go about 100 impressiveness. That said, if there is interest in it I'll look into if it's possible.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rock5

Rooms seem to have a LOT higher impressiveness now so my excel calculator doesn't seem to work anymore. But I've checked the game source code and it looks like it hasn't changed. So I can't figure out why it give such high impressiveness. Maybe the game adds a new step to the impressiveness calculation that I can't find.

Can anyone, that knows their way around the game source code, find where it does this extra calculation?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport