A16 Hype

Started by O Negative, November 02, 2016, 11:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

To be perfectly honest, drop pods seems super unrealistic to most tribes...that indicates at least helicopter level tech, yet is done all the time...

But thats...semi off topic
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

zidey

Quote from: Mr.Cross on November 05, 2016, 09:35:26 AM
Quote from: RawCode on November 05, 2016, 08:10:56 AM
31.11.2016 btw

Really? That soon? Or am I really that gullible?

How many days are in november...

A Friend

Tynan said it wasn't going to be released this month, so... December?
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Mr.Cross

Claims to know most things.

Jaxxa

The question I have it how much interaction do we have with locations.

Is the game going to generate a full map for them that we can walk around, or are we just going to get a menu option for Trading, and maybe Raiding similar to autoresolve.

RemingtonRyder

I would assume full map, all the usual interaction possibilities. Otherwise it's big overture, little show. ;)

DNK

Quote from: Jaxxa on November 06, 2016, 08:33:27 PMIs the game going to generate a full map for them that we can walk around
That would be a huge challenge to develop for them. I would be very surprised if they went with "procedural generation of entire colonies" and "colony AI" when there's probably a lot of simpler systems they still want to implement.

I would guess it's your second guess - a simplistic strategy layer, something else to do "beyond the colony" other than build a space ship. I don't think we should get our hopes up too much here.

I'd love it if we could get a true DF-like world, with procedurally generated civs and colonies everywhere, and lots of AI groups moving around in real time and interacting and so forth, and with a map where every individual tile is generated at world generation, rather than being a random "wetness, terrain, biome, temperature" dice roll, and of course with a highly customizable world gen system.

Sigh. I doubt we'll see that ever here. I'm not sure Tynan wants to go that route, with that level of complexity. That's really a lifelong labor of love sort of game, as Bay12 has done. It's not likely to be in the cards for a ~5yr development cycle.

RemingtonRyder

I don't see why Tynan would add a 'Settle' button and then not make the resulting settlement playable. Rabbit holes - places where pawns would go to do an interaction without any opportunity to play it your way - would be boring and more than a little disappointing.

mumblemumble

Quote from: MarvinKosh on November 06, 2016, 11:18:43 PM
I don't see why Tynan would add a 'Settle' button and then not make the resulting settlement playable. Rabbit holes - places where pawns would go to do an interaction without any opportunity to play it your way - would be boring and more than a little disappointing.
idk. On one hand tynan is never a dickhead enough to do false advertising in the past.....on the other-hand, making new settlements sounds...too good to be true....

I'm inclined to believe this, and random encounters will exist, but have no proof..and I hate that. I just hope tynan is smart enough to know that EVERYONE will kinda expect this, at least subconsciously..but hes also a very bright guy, so...I gueeeeessss thats proof hes adding them? I don't know, there's 0 certainty, but all track records point to it
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Jaxxa

I totally think that the resulting settlements will be playable.
Taking some Colonists and putting them on a new map is very doable, I have had a mod that can do that since Alpha 13, not very pretty about it, but worked.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18995.msg207277#msg207277

But using procedural generation to make a working colony to trade with / fight against it in completely another level of difficulty. I am optimistic that is what is being done, but it will take a lot of work to do well.

RemingtonRyder

Yeah. laying out a siege camp is one thing. Laying out out an entire base is something else.

That being said, maybe what you will find when you come across an outlander village or raider camp should be quite basic. It's only when you find a town or fortress that there will be lots of buildings and things.

carbon

Assuming you would only be interacting with a foreign village for a short while, procedural generation might be sufficient for you to interact with a fully mapped version of it (or like the trading post of it) for a few short hours.

As I mentioned earlier, the main problem with loading up a foreign village is that it requires the game to unload your main village and yet let time/events there progress in some abstract way (it would be weird/exploitable if time just froze).

I'm really skeptical the game could correctly simulate crops, job bills, killboxes, stockpiles, medical treatment, construction, infestations, and so much more in a way that would seem accurate to the player. Keep in mind how many folks already complain about just the partial automation the game already allows. The chance that the game misinterprets something and winds up decimating your colony or otherwise creating a huge mess is simply too high (in my view) to make that feasible.

If you've ever retired a fortress in dwarf fortress and then loaded it up a few weeks later in adventure mode, you'll probably have a sense of the sort of problems that can crop up. Imagine that happening every time you sent out a caravan/raiding party or switched over to look at one of your own secondary villages. The amount of rage-quitting would be insane.

Having secondary locations be abstract menus is almost certainly a necessary evil.

It's plausible you'd be able to fully abandoned a colony (leaving no pawns behind) and set up a primary village somewhere else, but don't expect the first colony to look exactly the same if you ever returned.

Cpt. DuctTape

We don't need a really complex system for the towns/bases to be honest. I remembery Tynan talking about this in an old thread, where he said he could use some pre-made bases and towns for the NPCs to use. I know it's not the most interesting system, but it's WAAY easier than making procedurally generated bases and cities.

(Plus, this would be the perfect opportunity to have a building contest  ;D)

mrKafe

What if instead of trying to generate a full system that procedurally generated bases and stuff, the system simply choses from a pool of existing models... a big pool of existing models such as all those coming from actual existing bases made by players in their own games?

fizban1978