A16 Hype

Started by O Negative, November 02, 2016, 11:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numar

Needless to say, that's really interesting and a direction I have hoped for, instead of simply adding more and more stuff to the same tile (=your colony).

My biggest wish for updates is still improvement of user friendliness, though. Simple and small things which would really help in your daily colony life. E.g. copy&paste bills. More right click stuff directly on your colonists instead of searching the map for a single item. And many more.

Jimyoda

Quote from: O Negative on November 04, 2016, 03:23:26 PM
Dang it, Jimyoda. You beat me to the post! Haha.
I randomly checked his twitter - I don't even have notifications on - and it was posted just 9 minutes prior. I still thought someone might have reposted it before me in that time.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

MikeLemmer

Yeah, let's... just not get too wild with our expectations for this yet. It wouldn't surprise me if this was just the barebones foundation of what's to come.

*eagerly awaits public unstable branch*

Dingo

Finally, I can fulfil my dream of a RimWorld World Conquest.

mumblemumble

I really, really want to encounter situations in the wild like fallout 2 / 1.. that would be SOOOO COOOOOL.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Tynan

Quote from: Numar on November 04, 2016, 03:44:20 PM
My biggest wish for updates is still improvement of user friendliness, though. Simple and small things which would really help in your daily colony life. E.g. copy&paste bills. More right click stuff directly on your colonists instead of searching the map for a single item. And many more.

General balancing and UI improvements are the other big focus of this alpha. Ison and I are working together; he's doing the code heavy lifting on the new world systems, while I do the design as well as a ton of balancing and fixing of older issues. So it's all getting covered. Expand and polish, expand and polish.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Alenerel

The caravan thing is just the new main screen.

Zhentar

Seriously with all the rebalancing and QoL bug fixes I've seen you mention or get closed in mantis, I have no idea how you'd also fit in such a significant new system. You are at least allowing ison bathroom breaks and time for meals, I hope?

cmitc1

That looks amazing.

you know, (probably wont happen) you could make a muiltiplayer thing where people can choose to be a tribe (and get more numbers) or be a colony (and start with better technology) and battle each other.

eadras

This is so exciting!

Numar

Quote from: Tynan on November 04, 2016, 04:42:48 PM

General balancing and UI improvements are the other big focus of this alpha. Ison and I are working together; he's doing the code heavy lifting on the new world systems, while I do the design as well as a ton of balancing and fixing of older issues. So it's all getting covered. Expand and polish, expand and polish.

While I have a lot of respect for your work and love Rimworld, over time I've got many impressions that some QoL are...half baked, like you start working on it, but then stop at 50%. Many things feel inconsistent, to the extend that there are mods which try to close these inconsistencies. Maybe I'm too sensitive to small things because I'm a long term player since A4(?) with almost 200 hours on steam and many more in the pre-steam time that I should already be ashamed of myself... :D
The thing is, I still love to start a new colony, but at the same time, I'm afraid of all the tedious and avoidable work that I have to handle in my playthroughs.

I've already made some topics about that:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14226.msg146967#msg146967
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5461.msg52139#msg52139
Maybe it's time for a new compilation :)

I'm happy that a lot of features were implemented, but since some Alphas now I feel like the QoL improvements are lacking too much. I'm talking about the foundation (handling of items/areas etc.) - with each Alpha there comes new stuff, adding to the complexity. But in my eyes, every Alpha expands the tediousness at the same time, with only little - and as mentioned above, half-baked - changes regarding QoL.

Despite all that, I'm really looking forward to what you have up your sleeve. As always, I'm fired-up for the new Alpha.

SymbolicFrank

Any new mid- and endgame content? Does the average game still takes just a few hours from start to finish?

Coenmcj

I see Hexagonal Cells. Presumably that means that the map screen (where you go to select your colony's location) will be receiving this treatment as well, as I can't imagine it would fit well with square cells. ;)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

zidey

I'm allergic to polish though. When ever I dust I cant use it. I'm screwed :(

Arctic_fox

Quote from: Numar on November 04, 2016, 05:41:11 PM

While I have a lot of respect for your work and love Rimworld, over time I've got many impressions that some QoL are...half baked, like you start working on it, but then stop at 50%. Many things feel inconsistent, to the extend that there are mods which try to close these inconsistencies. Maybe I'm too sensitive to small things because I'm a long term player since A4(?) with almost 200 hours on steam and many more in the pre-steam time that I should already be ashamed of myself... :D
The thing is, I still love to start a new colony, but at the same time, I'm afraid of all the tedious and avoidable work that I have to handle in my playthroughs.

I've already made some topics about that:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14226.msg146967#msg146967
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5461.msg52139#msg52139
Maybe it's time for a new compilation :)

I'm happy that a lot of features were implemented, but since some Alphas now I feel like the QoL improvements are lacking too much. I'm talking about the foundation (handling of items/areas etc.) - with each Alpha there comes new stuff, adding to the complexity. But in my eyes, every Alpha expands the tediousness at the same time, with only little - and as mentioned above, half-baked - changes regarding QoL.

Despite all that, I'm really looking forward to what you have up your sleeve. As always, I'm fired-up for the new Alpha.

Well the thing with qol stuff, new content, fixing old content, expanding on content, bug smashing and ballance tweeks is he needs to spend time on them EVERY update to ensure they still work after stuff is changed or added, This is an alpha still i.e still adding to the game, hell he has even said that his strat is to get as much into the game as he can make it work reasonably well and move on until later, Otherwise each and every patch he would need to recode all the qol and bug fixes which slowly turn the progression of the game into an endless slog of qol updates and bug fixes that will slow updates to the point it turns into another "dead" half finished game, now obviously every so often it does need to be done just to tidy things up but this will be a uncommon thing every few patches as needed with only most requested being considered for every update and in many cases tossed into the do later pile as they will take too much time, honestly just expect qol, and bug quashing with more then general ballence to take a back seat to making the game work and getting everything packed into it.

As we get closer to beta you will see smaller and smaller content updates and more and more intense bug killing (too bad he introduced hives, The damn bugs breed like crazy and the code under the game where they come up must be like something from starship troopers) qol updates and fixes and ballence, then we go to beta where new content more or less stops in favor of making the game run smoothly then you get release where all the parts work together.

You gotta consider his team is small he dosent have a billion dollar budget with 6000 people working on one game he has a few dudes in a back room someplace with empty pizza boxes piling up doing all this work on their own, Also consider the game as it is, it is already as good as or better then anything say EA or blizzard would kick out and this is an alpha made by a few guys, not a game made by several hundred to several thousand workers in a fortune 500 gaming company with a near unlimited budget  that needs to bow to ceos and cram as much p2p and p2w in as they can manage and split everything into DLC while vomiting a new game put every few years.