A16 Hype

Started by O Negative, November 02, 2016, 11:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scythah

Well, Tynan said he'd be discussing features more indepth soon enough so we'll wait and see. I'm betting it'll be more than just abstracted secondary colonies though, the ability to travel to new areas on the map has been highly requested for a while now even if it is a bit of a hurdle programming-wise.

carbon

Quote from: fizban1978 on November 07, 2016, 10:43:40 AM
Um, Vehicles maybe?

It does seem likely we'll be able to have pack animals at least. That will give us more incentive to keep some large livestock around if you haven't already been doing that.

Cpt. DuctTape

Quote from: mrKafe on November 07, 2016, 09:35:58 AM
What if instead of trying to generate a full system that procedurally generated bases and stuff, the system simply choses from a pool of existing models... a big pool of existing models such as all those coming from actual existing bases made by players in their own games?

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. +1

Alenerel

What if instead of trying to generate a full system that procedurally generated bases and stuff, the system simply choses from a pool of existing models... a big pool of existing models such as all those coming from actual existing bases made by players in their own games?

I thought the same but if you think 5 seconds about it you notice why it cant be. Most of players "good" bases, either directly exploit the AI behavior, which are basically a rich citadel waiting for another player to be raided easily, or are impenetrable fortresses with 100 turrets pointing at every single square in the map.

However I think that there is a half way. Tynan could request players to create bases for the AI, but with some rules, like a max number of turrets, min number of squares per room, etc. It should not be either too easy or almost impossible to raid an AI base.

ShadowTani

Quote from: fizban1978 on November 07, 2016, 10:43:40 AM
Um, Vehicles maybe?

That and mounts make a lot more sense to be added with world travel in place. Though I'll be positively surprised if we see fleshed out mechanisms for that added on top of this in the next update. But one can hope!

mumblemumble

he DID say this was the biggest update yet...bigger than the health system, bigger than temperatures, bigger than stuff, drugs, social...so its possible.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

ShadowTani

Agreed, but I'm scared of taking the hype train too far. Like Carbon I kinda expect pack animals to be a thing as a minimum however - as that is kinda a thing in the game already with the traders from other colonies. Beyond that just getting wagons pulled by muffalos would be pretty huge for me.

Alenerel

For mounts we need horses, donkeys, zebras, giraffes, rhinos, oiled pigs, etc.

mumblemumble

Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Bozobub

Quote from: carbon on November 07, 2016, 11:28:46 AMIt does seem likely we'll be able to have pack animals at least. That will give us more incentive to keep some large livestock around if you haven't already been doing that.
Oh, my, I'll  be able to have pack bears, perhaps?
*squee*

On a more serious note, I do NOT see this update as being friendly to previous saves, if any of this is true =o .
Thanks, belgord!

Rahjital

Oh my god, Alpha 16 is when Rimworld community is going to turn into an assembly of world-conquering supervillains.

Think about all the stuff Rimworld players do now. Brainwashing to get new colonists? Check. Cannibalism when things start going bad? Of course. Turning people into hats to just to make profit? That too. But so far, it was all done for survival, to ensure the colony will live on. But now that we'll have the ability to expand, and exterminate... People won't stop until the world is ruled by their iron fist. Three people, coming from the sky, destined to forge a grand empire or die trying...

I think Rimworld might have potential to surpass Dwarf Fortress itself in epic stories come next update.

Jaxxa

Quote from: Bozobub on November 07, 2016, 03:05:30 PM
On a more serious note, I do NOT see this update as being friendly to previous saves, if any of this is true =o .

No previous major release has been compatible with previous saved games.

Bozobub

Good to know, I haven't seen it happen before ^^' .
Thanks, belgord!

Alenerel

Even if this was the only one I think that we dont have the right to complain about losing saves while the game is still on alpha. When it goes out of alpha as released then it would be a big deal but not now.

mrKafe

Quote from: Alenerel on November 07, 2016, 01:33:42 PM

I thought the same but if you think 5 seconds about it you notice why it cant be. Most of players "good" bases, either directly exploit the AI behavior, which are basically a rich citadel waiting for another player to be raided easily, or are impenetrable fortresses with 100 turrets pointing at every single square in the map.

However I think that there is a half way. Tynan could request players to create bases for the AI, but with some rules, like a max number of turrets, min number of squares per room, etc. It should not be either too easy or almost impossible to raid an AI base.

Had not thought of that and you are right it may pose a problem however maybe there is some way to work around it like factoring in variables such as base wealth, even more directly number of turrets... IDK similar to what is already used to calculate the right size of threats according to your progress.

Also, maybe what you need is an actual challenge!... the kind that only another human player can pose! Also think that maybe sometimes you will get that kind of state-of-the-art base plan with ultra secure killbox and so on... but other (possibly most of the times?) you will get in the middle of the construction project and the base will have vulnerabilities... finally think that if the ai is many times able to work around your defences, a human player will no doubt find a way too.