WIP[A17] Superior Crafting Revived

Started by kaptain_kavern, November 05, 2016, 05:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptain_kavern

I will make a proper "beta" release here for putting you into contributions for feedbacks ;P , but I wanted to let you know that I was working on updating Superior Crafting by Abrexus to A15. No ETA for now it's a side side side side side project I'm working on, for several weeks, at a very low pace.

I had to cut down all .DLL related functions and it will surely be safer to rewrite the whole thing from scratch (in fact I may end up doing that) but here is a link to the github repo where I work on this : https://github.com/kaptain-kavern/Superior-Crafting-Revived

This is the first "startable" version (without a shit load of red errors at starts) I managed. Now I need to slowly test and change/tweak cost and/or techlevel requirement and things like that. (I started with a A11 version of the mod)

Now I started this thread more to start to gather ideas/advices and such, rather than enforcing someone to test this in it's current state.

I was thinking/remembering that this mod was at the core of most mod packs I saw in the past and was wanting to bring this gem back to the community.

I've made up my mind : I will take the last Abrexus' version and slowly convert all of it in a new rewritten-from-scratch mod, using all CCL features in order to retain maximum compatibility.
I want it to become a "Core Crafting Mod" as a framework for other mods to "plug into"

And like Abrexus was saying :

Tammabanana

This looks super cool, and I'm going to keep it on my radar.

(But have exceeded my bandwidth already and am breakin' da experiment rules playtesting CK pack + Ancestors at the same time, soooo... radar for later.)
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

kaptain_kavern

I've made up my mind : I will take the last Abrexus' version and slowly convert all of it in a new rewritten-from-scratch mod, using all CCL features in order to retain maximum compatibility.
I want it to become a "Core Crafting Mod" as a framework for other mods to "plug into"

kaptain_kavern

Added screenshots and links to my devnotes in OP

demeggy

Woop, a decently indepth crafting system! DL's...

JadedApprentince

Quote from: demeggy on November 10, 2016, 12:41:00 PM
Woop, a decently indepth crafting system! DL's...
None of its really new, except for the Drug Lab.
This mod was all the rage back in A13 I believe, was really great for mid-game since you could basically craft synthread and hyperweave really early on if you focused on growing cotton and devidstrand, plus getting the plasteel needed. Also allowed for crafting medicine before you even could in the base game, so it was a real game changer.
I do agree though, it will need some serious work to remake everything, even the textures would be better with some tweaking.
Good luck to you kaptain!
Mods I've made:
Combat Extended Artillery :  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33979.0

kaptain_kavern

I've started again from scratch, taking advantage of the new XML patching possibilities  :P

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on June 13, 2017, 10:58:23 PM
I've started again from scratch, taking advantage of the new XML patching possibilities  :P

I'm excited to see this!

Devon_v

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on June 13, 2017, 10:58:23 PM
Probably for the best, as that will improve compatibility. You could also, I believe, redefine the existing resources names and graphics to make them the finished products, then add the raw resources as a precursor so that existing mods point to the correct items for recipes. Then you'd only need patches for stuff like Vegetable Garden which already have their own raw cotton and devilstrand, etc.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

kaptain_kavern

So my core group of features are working and are playable barely playable. I haven't even started to patch think about the research part though.

I have no intention of re-inventing the wheel again, so I will focus on expanding vanilla crafting only (I will drop the medical items and the modded turrets)

I've reached the part where I'm starting to think about compatibility and how this mod will plug into other mods. And I think I will use already existing mods that are doing things Superior Crafting were doing. That way all I have to do is "just" patching some existing defs (versus rewriting everything)

As an example, I intend to use mods like Powerless (for early tech), Rainbeau's Fertile Fields or Glass&Light (for glass stuff). This will imply to have those mods installed and activated before SCR. This will make this mod half a mod pack in a way. This will also mean I intend to be very restrictive in the choice of those mods.

I really want to hear some suggestions regarding this precise idea if you're willing to ;)

Robloxsina66

kaptain_kavern

I'm still making progress.

Also got author permissions to use Powerless and Fertile Fields, thank you guys  8)

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on June 27, 2017, 11:30:13 AM
I'm still making progress.

Also got author permissions to use Powerless and Fertile Fields, thank you guys  8)

Excellent. So, is the plan to get permission for and include all the mods in one mod/modpack, or to download/install all the mods separately?

kaptain_kavern

You will only have to set a few selected mods BEFORE mine in mod order, for it to use their defs. I will carefully choose them and limit them to just a few. This will be the "Core" mod in itself.  For now it should be Powerless, additional joy objects, Rainbow Fertile fields and Glass&Light.

Totally optional compatibility patches will follow. What I want to achieve is maximal mod compatibility, first. Hence why I intend to have just a few dependencies.
For the optional patches I think about VG and my TropiCKapp Rainforest first

Edit : to be more clear : Hopefully, it will become a very little mod pack (but user will have to manage dependencies by himself) with a lot of optional compatibility patches