[A16] Several Puffins' Social Mods (Rumours&Deception, Romance Diversified, ..)

Started by Several Puffins, November 06, 2016, 09:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Several Puffins

Rumours & Deception

Description

Have you ever wondered why your colonists don't talk about each other? Did no-one wonder about sending that shifty cannibal Alex to bury the dead? How come Ray likes the abrasive psycho that beat up her friend, just because she's never been insulted directly? And why is no-one ever apologetic about anything they've done?

If you want more social complexity, or just plain gossip and intrigue in your stories, then look no further! Rumours and Deception adds several new colonist social interactions, traits and thoughts that largely focus on people talking about people.

New interactions:
- Chat about other colonists: Alice likes Bob. Bob hates Carol. Bob can now tell Alice this!
- Spread rumour: Colonists will tell nasty, unsubstantiated tales to each other, particularly about colonists that neither of them like.
- Share secret: A colonist can trust another enough to reveal something deep and personal, bringing them closer together.
- Reveal secret: There's no guarantee that all trust is well placed! Colonists that have been told a secret can go and gossip about it to their friends!
- Apologise: Colonists can try to make up with others that they've insulted or hurt.
- Make peace: Colonists may try and apologise on behalf of a third party.
- Culture clash: Not all insults are intended! One may insult another due to having a poor understanding of their background culture (for example, Tribal vs GlitterWorld culture clashes).

New traits:
- Compulsive liar: This colonist just can't help it- every conversation is an opportunity to make up some new, snide story about one of the others.
- Gushing: This colonist just cannot judge who to trust with their darkest secrets, exposing themselves to potential embarrassment.
- Gossip: This colonist talks about other people all the time. This extends to secrets, with which they can't be trusted.
- Manipulative: This colonist will use any social trick they know to make other people see things THEIR way. They are great negotiators, but can be divisive and isolating within a colony.
- Trustworthy: This colonist keeps secrets. They rarely spread rumours, and if they do they feel terrible about it.
- Peacemaker: This colonist can't stand to see their friends fighting. They will try to resolve other people's differences, and will get a mood boost if successful.

New events:
- Defection: A socially isolated colonist may, over time, decide that they're better off elsewhere. If they remain friendless, they may walk off the map and join an ally.
- Splinter: In the unlikely event that a clique of friends forms within the colony that is largely hostile to the rest, they may choose to leave together and form a new map faction. They will take some of your colony's belongings with them as they go.
- Brawl: Even if they don't leave, hostile cliques will start fights- unless you patch up your fractured colony, mass brawls will break out.

Requires
- HugsLib.

Download
via Dropbox.

Installation
- Install HugsLib.
- Unzip into your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate in the in-game mods menu and restart the game.

Acknowledgements
Thanks to Gracierocket for requesting these mods and throwing ideas at me. Thanks also to Orion, whose faction discovery mod I trawled through extensively trying to understand how RimWorld factions work, and to UnlimitedHugs for the brilliant HugsLib!

Feedback
Please, please do give feedback on the balance of this mod, and the rates at which events happen. I am only one person and do not really have spare time to properly play-test things, but I am happy to respond to community feedback on how well this mod runs!

Detours & Clashes
- Rumours & Deception currently makes no detours, so compatibility should be very broad.

Update on 5th Dec. 2016:
- Added menu options, allowing players to disable splits and defections.
- Married/Engaged/Dating Colonists on either side of a defection will now split up.
- Split risk lowered.
- Introduced brawl events, so that even without splits there is a downside to a strongly divided colony.

Several Puffins

Romance Diversified

Description

This mod adds the following features to a Rim Romance:
- Adds the sexuality traits Straight, Bisexual and Asexual, and adds them at the end after non-sexuality traits have been rolled, often as a fourth trait.
- Adds the traits Faithful and Philanderer, with appropriate changes to the likelihood of cheating on a partner. A16 update- Philanderers are more likely to cheat if their partner is off the map, and there's a good chance that their partner won't find out!
- Changes the curves for attraction and the rate at which people hit on each other so that there is a cultural component, with female pawns from Tribal and Imperial backgrounds more forward, male pawns form Medieval and Urbworld backgrounds more forward, and MidWorld and GlitterWorld backgrounds gender equal.
- Unfairly judged pawns, be they ugly, creepy, annoying or disfigured, get much lower opinion debuffs with each other. Let's see a little empathy! Credit to Killface for the wonderful Herzblatt mod that first did this.
- Adds two social joy activities: dates for couples, and hookups for single colonists. Both have the ability to improve colonists' relationships!

Download
via Dropbox.

Installation
- Make sure you first get HugsLib!
- Unzip into your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate in the in-game mods menu and restart the game.
- If you use Prepare Carefully, keep that extra trait slot open: download Prepare for Romance, a four trait version of Prepare Carefully also in the drop box! Install this the same way as Romance Diversified (note that it is a full replacement for Prepare Carefully, but will only work if Romance Diversified is loaded).

Detours
This mod detours _PawnGenerator, _PawnRelationsTracker and _InteractionWorker_RomanceAttempt.

At A16 this mod and Psychology appear not to co-operate very well.

Acknowledgements
Thanks to Gracierocket for requesting these mods and throwing ideas at me. Thanks also to UnlimitedHugs for the beautiful HugsLib and to Killface for the lovely ideas in Herzblatt.

Future Plans

1) I want to have dates take advantage of local sites of beauty, so that players can design places for couples to go.
2) I wish to extend Romance Diversified to include poly relationships.

Several Puffins

leestriter

Several Puffins

Haha! Well, that's an encouraging start! I've redone them and they appear to work for me now. Thanks for the heads up!

Der Failer

Will you upload your mods to Steam as well? I just hate with the whole manually looking for updates thing.

I'll definitely try Romance Diversified in my next colony, luckily Rumours & Deception seems to work with the running one just fine :)
I'm just wondering if new pawns joining the colony will spawn with your traits, i would expect them to, but i'm not certain.

Dingo

Does Rumours & Deception work well with mods like Psychology / Herzblatt? It sounds really good!

Nanao-kun

I'm not quite sure, but after starting a new game with these mods, I've found that my pawns seem to duplicate. As in, a wanderer will arrive, and it's an exact copy of one of my colonists.

CJoker3221

'Kiryuin apologized to me. Jono did not accept the apology' Now Jono smash! But seriously though, anything can be done to fix that..? xD

Several Puffins

Der Failer, I'll be happy to upload to Steam! I've yet to work out how, but I'm sure it's not beyond the capabilities of myself of people I can wail mournfully to. New pawns should spawn with these traits- they have similar weights for selection to a number of vanilla traits, at least.

Dingo- Rumours and Deception should play well with everything as it doesn't mess around with any vanilla mechanics. Psychology mostly works fine, but romantic traits (Lecher, Psychology's take on Bisexual) don't work. Thanks for introducing me to Herzblatt- it looks awesome! Sadly Romance Diversified may not play along well with it as I'd imagine it's replacing the same core mechanic.

Nanao-kun - How strange! Has it happened more than once? I'm happy to look into it, but I might need a bit more info- in particular which other mods you're using. In the mean time, I hope you can have fun with your long-lost twins game!

CJoker- Jono calmed down in the end. Anyhow, I think the apology came after the fight rather than before.

Nanao-kun

Quote from: Several Puffins on November 06, 2016, 07:36:42 PM
Nanao-kun - How strange! Has it happened more than once? I'm happy to look into it, but I might need a bit more info- in particular which other mods you're using. In the mean time, I hope you can have fun with your long-lost twins game!

It's happened twice so far, one was a wanderer, the other was running from pursuers; as for mods, I've got a lot of them. Need to find some easy way of getting a proper list... although I did update Hospitality at the same time.

123nick

seems VERY good! one thing that would be neat, if you have a splinter event, if the hostile forces win and kill or incapacitate all the colonists, then they all become colonists again, the hostile splinter force, because they are basically the new colony after they have revolted and murdered all else.

faltonico

Quote from: Nanao-kun on November 06, 2016, 08:16:04 PM
...as for mods, I've got a lot of them. Need to find some easy way of getting a proper list...
go to:
%HOMEPATH%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Config
The file is "ModsConfig.XML".
I found out about it recently, it has your mod list and mod order.
I hope it helps.