Everyone LOVES killing ugly people!

Started by mumblemumble, November 06, 2016, 10:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

Ok so, I've noticed something...a bit disturbing.

Staggeringly ugly is -80 (?) social, and its almost impossible to recover from. More importantly, this is already past the thresh-hold of enemy. This provides an extremely DISTURBING effect.

If you get a random wanderer to join, whom is staggeringly ugly, you can  STRAIGHT UP MURDER THEM, and everyone gets an instant mood bonus for "rival died". Sure, a small "colonist died" hits first, but this expires first, and is left with a large bonus, and you can even use this to make people like someone who is otherwise hated colonist to do the job, which I think also gives a relationship buff (woah, steve who killed my wife? well he killed this ugly bastard, so I guess hes ok!)

I know looks are important, but I don't think people would QUITE react this way... In general, looks /  breathing / ugly / any of that needs re-balance I think, at least slightly. I know someone so ugly wouldn't exactly be embraced by open arms, but even on a rim-world, I doubt EVERYONE would be happy if you bashed a random persons face in with a mace just because they were ugly, much less to the point they were happy for weeks.

Its actually enough that, buying a discount staggeringly ugly slave and burning them alive is TOTALLY VIABLE as a strategy for mood, 500 or so gold for several weeks of mood boost is not a terrible idea
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

carbon

Pro-tip: burning ugly people indoors is a great way to keep warm in the winter.

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful... *horrific screams*

sadpickle

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 06, 2016, 10:44:00 AM
Its actually enough that, buying a discount staggeringly ugly slave and burning them alive is TOTALLY VIABLE as a strategy for mood, 500 or so gold for several weeks of mood boost is not a terrible idea
You know... although that is probably not WAD, maybe when factions get more fleshed out and you can attack, perhaps even take hostages from enemy settlements (whatever Tynan is teasing, I've never been so hype from 2 screens before)... what if there was a faction that had a random "party" event, and when this event fires, they take a prisoner (maybe at random, probably designated if you have more than one) and sacrifice them to their blood-gods or whatever? I think this would dovetail nicely with the new system for story generation, if it's going to be anything like I think it is. Hostage gets kidnapped by the blood-god tribe... you have to get them back before they have a sacrifice event. Or you attack a blood-god tribe and the freed prisoners join or provide positive relations for their faction.
Quote from: carbon on November 06, 2016, 11:19:57 AM
Says a guy named 'carbon'... I know what you're doing, but coal is more energy-dense than even the ugliest of uglies.

mumblemumble

Quote from: carbon on November 06, 2016, 11:19:57 AM
Quote from: skullywag on November 06, 2016, 10:59:11 AM
I love everything about this.
Trust me, I thought it was hilarious too, but I want to think it wouldn't be this cut and dry xD

This said, I was howling with laughter when I discovered this (on purpose as he was REALLY useless during a time of famine) and saw that EVERYONE had a boosted mood.

Quotecoal is more energy-dense than even the ugliest of uglies.
What about an ugly fat person?...I actually heard a crematorium burned down because they tried to cremate a morbidly obese person, essentially creating the worst grease fire in history, which flooded the place with flaming grease.

Man, I know we started on a really MORBID note, but its not getting better huh?

also, feels like an exploit, but its such a grey area (and funny idea) that it deserves a thread, for laughs, and so tynan might see.. as it points out a bigger problem
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

pfhorrest

I'm willing to bet that the reason no one's written a clickbait op-ed about this particular mechanic is that they secretly agree with it and wish it was implemented in more games.

Shurp

They don't even have to be ugly.  I had an "annoying" colonist wander in and join.  I ordered him to strip naked and then go stand outside and freeze to death (didn't want the "witnessed ally died" debuf).  -3 points for a short while, +4 for rival died for days and days!

Wannabe colonists should have more survival instincts.  If the colony doesn't want them they should have the sense to run away rather than get themselves killed.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

mumblemumble

Quote from: pfhorrest on November 06, 2016, 11:58:26 AM
I'm willing to bet that the reason no one's written a clickbait op-ed about this particular mechanic is that they secretly agree with it and wish it was implemented in more games.
Sorry, I guess?... Also, 1, clickbait is a STRONG word man... 2, I doubt people would have a long lasting satisfaction for straight up slaughtering an ugly stranger. If you feel that way, well...consider getting yourself committed for a psyche eval.

Quote from: Shurp on November 06, 2016, 03:51:09 PM
They don't even have to be ugly.  I had an "annoying" colonist wander in and join.  I ordered him to strip naked and then go stand outside and freeze to death (didn't want the "witnessed ally died" debuf).  -3 points for a short while, +4 for rival died for days and days!

Wannabe colonists should have more survival instincts.  If the colony doesn't want them they should have the sense to run away rather than get themselves killed.
Rival died scales. Sure, an annoying voice will net a small bonus, but the staggeringly ugly netted a HUGE 15 mood bonus, for about a SEASON. Even seems like one could abuse this to have a fall guy for "everything evil" in a colony (take out organs, kill prisoners, sell people, butcher bodies) then kill them to negate the negative thoughts.

I suppose the fall guy scenario actually makes sense, but it seems very off, that murdering a random ugly person gives such a long lasting, huge buff to mood.

-----

TheFlameTouched

So, I took a look through the traitdefs, and noticed decided not to change anything, since I rather enjoyed reading this. However, it does look like an accidentally high modifier, since the other degrees of the trait are only separate by 20 points.

mumblemumble

Quote from: TheFlameTouched on November 07, 2016, 01:59:51 PM
So, I took a look through the traitdefs, and noticed decided not to change anything, since I rather enjoyed reading this. However, it does look like an accidentally high modifier, since the other degrees of the trait are only separate by 20 points.
I also think the trait "value" is messed up...the guy who spawned with it had most skills disabled, low skills that he did have, and a depressive trait too...its like...why would I keep him? for -80 social, he better have a way to make up for it.

-----

Bozobub

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 07, 2016, 02:09:13 PMI also think the trait "value" is messed up...the guy who spawned with it had most skills disabled, low skills that he did have, and a depressive trait too...its like...why would I keep him? for -80 social, he better have a way to make up for it.
Of course he does; several pounds of meat and fashionable eveningwear!

OK, maybe a hat.
Thanks, belgord!

Shurp

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

JimmyAgnt007

Ugly people skin always provides (awful) level clothing.  Or at least it should.

skinicism

Ugly people love yelling the Rimworld
colonial anthem.

Bozobub

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on November 08, 2016, 09:20:58 AM
Ugly people skin always provides (awful) level clothing.  Or at least it should.
No, no, silly, cuz then it's just "artistic detailing" and you get to charge extra.  Like a balaclava (think "tuque", in-game) perhaps, where you keep the screaming visage of the previous face's owner =) .
Thanks, belgord!