Basic

Started by Pink Omega, November 09, 2016, 04:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Omega

Sorry, this must have been asked here a couple times, but can someone link me a modding basic tutorial? i'm just trying to start.

<=To Be Continued/\/

kaptain_kavern

Hi, and welcome I guess  ;)

Here is a link to a similar topic with links in response : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26663

Pink Omega

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on November 09, 2016, 06:33:46 PM
Hi, and welcome I guess  ;)

Here is a link to a similar topic with links in response : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26663
Thanks Kaptain! but, for real, how much time did you take to learn modding and the XML language? :P

<=To Be Continued/\/

kaptain_kavern

With a couple hours a week you can learn fast (XML). The point is practising and reading how others are doing in their code. Some will argue that HTML/XML is not even a language in itself, merely formatting/punctuation. And I tend to agree in a sense.

View it as the structure where the data are stored.

Quote from: somecode<blablabla>
    <xxxnamexxx>Dog</xxxnamexxx>
    <xxxxxxx>
        <xxxfoodxxx>carnivore</xxxfoodxxx>
    </xxxxxx>
</blablabla>
note:<tag> this is called a tag

Viewing this, even without understanding all you can still notice several things.

• Data are structured, each tags needs to be open (like that <tag>) and closed (</tag>). Data/value are put in between.
  • Tags can be put in other tags and so forth. This is called nesting or nested tags
Quote from: some colored code<blablabla>
    <xxxxxxx>
    </xxxxxx>
</blablabla>

So this how you should try to picture it, imho.
You want to reach the point where you don't really think about how it's formatted (the XML "language" in itself) while you read it.
This is achievable only by practising IMHO.

So read, read, read, read and read. Read doc, Code (especially if the modder have commented his code - Github is nice for this), error messages, etc...
And then try to do little mods, fail ???, ask for help in here :-[, retry >:(, score! ;D, be proud 8), rinse and repeat  :-\

To reply to your specific question :
As I was already knowing basic webdev stuff (I was a "nerdy" teenager during the late 90's  ::) ) and mostly because I have fiddle with computers since,  XML wasn't a problem.

Apart reading other code (I think you got my message by now  ;) ) I started by proposing mod translation, doing update of outdated mod alongside doing minor modifications (directly in CORE like a newbie - it is a bad practice, don't do it, never  >:() on my machine,

But I'm still considering myself as a newbie (compared to some other people I crossed here), all I do is copy/paste XML tags here and there.... 
And the process is never finished. I'm now learning how to work as a team mate, I'm also learning how to make documentations (for big projects or modding tutorials/help) and so on and on...  And I still have to learn some cool Jedi C# tricks one day ^^ (this is where the real deep game mechanics happened)

Hope I kept you motivated and I will gladly help if I can

Pink Omega

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on November 09, 2016, 08:39:40 PM
With a couple hours a week you can learn fast (XML). The point is practising and reading how others are doing in their code. Some will argue that HTML/XML is not even a language in itself, merely formatting/punctuation. And I tend to agree in a sense.

View it as the structure where the data are stored.

Quote from: somecode<blablabla>
    <xxxxxxx>
    </xxxxxx>
</blablabla>
note:<tag> this is called a tag

Viewing this, even without understanding all you can still notice several things.

• Data are structured, each tags needs to be open (like that <tag>) and closed (</tag>). Data/value are put in between.
  • Tags can be put in other tags and so forth. This is called nesting or nested tags
Quote from: some colored code<blablabla>
    <xxxxxxx>
    </xxxxxx>
</blablabla>

So this how you should try to picture it, imho.
You want to reach the point where you don't really think about how it's formatted (the XML "language" in itself) while you read it.
This is achievable only by practising IMHO.

So read, read, read, read and read. Read doc, Code (especially if the modder have commented his code - Github is nice for this), error messages, etc...
And then try to do little mods, fail ???, ask for help in here :-[, retry >:(, score! ;D, be proud 8), rinse and repeat  :-\

To reply to your specific question :
As I was already knowing basic webdev stuff (I was a "nerdy" teenager during the late 90's  ::) ) and mostly because I have fiddle with computers since,  XML wasn't a problem.

Apart reading other code (I think you got my message by now  ;) ) I started by proposing mod translation, doing update of outdated mod alongside doing minor modifications (directly in CORE like a newbie - it is a bad practice, don't do it, never  >:() on my machine,

But I'm still considering myself as a newbie (compared to some other people I crossed here), all I do is copy/paste XML tags here and there.... 
And the process is never finished. I'm now learning how to work as a team mate, I'm also learning how to make documentations (for big projects or modding tutorials/help) and so on and on...  And I still have to learn some cool Jedi C# tricks one day ^^ (this is where the real deep game mechanics happened)

Hope I kept you motivated and I will gladly help if I can
Thank you so much! I think i'm starting to understand the < and the </ thing, I think it's relatively easy!
Can you explain me how to make a simple mod from scratch? Like...a mod that adds a new animal to the game? It is too hard for a newbie? so many questions :p

<=To Be Continued/\/