Tribal Tundra Survival

Started by SilentP, November 09, 2016, 08:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentP

Trying to grow food in the cold and not having much luck.

I boxed in (full roof too) around a geothermal vent and planted some rice.  I'm getting a growth rate of roughly 20%.  I have 6 torches in the room with the plants.

What am I missing?  (Besides sunlight)

Arctic_fox

Quote from: SilentP on November 09, 2016, 08:32:54 PM

I boxed in (full roof too) around a geothermal vent and planted some rice.  I'm getting a growth rate of roughly 20%.  I have 6 torches in the room with the plants.

Best way to do things is during the spring and summer make massive fields of rice or potatos they keep a long time and grow fast, Then while you do this hunt game as often as you can turning it into pemmican as fast as you can and try to build up as much as you can for winter, also build a large communial hut with attached log storage on one side and food on the other and keep one or two fires burning in each to keep them warm, research stonecutting, clothing, electricity, and cooling as fast as you can during the winter dont build much until after winter, focus on research and hunting and making art for cash to trade for whats needed, oh and butcher/cook anyone you kill, only use nearby stones for carving dont go to the middle of nowhere for them especally at night, try not to stockpile anything but fur food art and maybe stone blocks, put them in a shed and when full block it off and unzone it to help keep.the AI from thinking your rich and sending a 2000 man raid after you, once you have electricity progress as normal plus one extra researcher to combat research pentalty for tribals.

This assuming you have a growing peroid, if not im unsure how to make it work unless you get enough animals to hunt.

Boston

This is why most, if not all, real-world tribal groups are

1) Nomadic
and/or
2) Dependent on the sea

Until those abilties are put in, expect it to be REALLY REALLY hard to play as a tribal group on tundra and ice-sheets.

Canute

You did all right.
It is nearly impossible to grow food if you don't have a bit warm outside area.
The light with torch isn't enough, you can try to harvest/cut the rice before it reach it lifetime to get at last something out.
I even tryed it with the Mod veg. garden and garden soil (200% grow speed) but the plants still died before they was harvestable.

Hunt so much you can, if you got a caravan trade/buy vegetables and research forward so you can use sunlamps.
But keep a stock on human meat, you might need it.

ArguedPiano

As Canute was saying, your light source is not strong enough. Torches and Lamps just do not produce what the plants need. The temperature needs to be around 14-15 degrees I think, and without a sunlamp, you will not get more than 20% even if the conditions are ideal.

You could try growing a bunch of rice. It grows the fastest so even at 20% you may get periodic yields.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

jmababa

Quote from: Arctic_fox on November 09, 2016, 08:47:30 PM

Best way to do things is during the spring and summer make massive fields of rice or potatos they keep a long time and grow fast, Then while you do this hunt game as often as you can turning it into pemmican as fast as you can and try to build up as much as you can for winter, also build a large communial hut with attached log storage on one side and food on the other and keep one or two fires burning in each to keep them warm, research stonecutting, clothing, electricity, and cooling as fast as you can during the winter dont build much until after winter, focus on research and hunting and making art for cash to trade for whats needed, oh and butcher/cook anyone you kill, only use nearby stones for carving dont go to the middle of nowhere for them especally at night, try not to stockpile anything but fur food art and maybe stone blocks, put them in a shed and when full block it off and unzone it to help keep.the AI from thinking your rich and sending a 2000 man raid after you, once you have electricity progress as normal plus one extra researcher to combat research pentalty for tribals.

This assuming you have a growing peroid, if not im unsure how to make it work unless you get enough animals to hunt.

Instead of hunt have your farmer/s and fisherman roughly that should be 3 colonists fishing too much meat i say. They stay frozen outside in fall and winter put it outside unroofed but walled. This is from fishing mod

Edit: watch out for raw food nega effect and get lucky your near 1 or 2 water source

RemingtonRyder

If you're doing a tribal start on tundra, then I recommend that you have 1800 pemmican or more to start with, because the default Lost Tribe scenario assumes you'll be somewhere temperate or warmer. If there's a growing season of ten days, you should be able to grow a single harvest of rice to add to your reserves.

With a limited growing season I have maybe four or five 5x5 fields and I forbid sowing after each one is completely sown. There isn't much point sowing crops and having them die when the temperature drops.

After that it's a case of trying to make it through the cold times, all the while researching away.

xrumblingcdsx

This has me wanting to play standard lost tribe on Randy Random, Ironman, Hardest Difficulty on the coldest Icesheet I can find, and making a story out of it. Just to show you it can be done.

Arctic_fox

Quote from: jmababa on November 10, 2016, 09:36:25 AM

Instead of hunt have your farmer/s and fisherman roughly that should be 3 colonists fishing too much meat i say. They stay frozen outside in fall and winter put it outside unroofed but walled. This is from fishing mod

Edit: watch out for raw food nega effect and get lucky your near 1 or 2 water source

This assumes you have mods installed, if you dont you gotta work with what you got on the land.

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: xrumblingcdsx on November 10, 2016, 02:45:48 PM
This has me wanting to play standard lost tribe on Randy Random, Ironman, Hardest Difficulty on the coldest Icesheet I can find, and making a story out of it. Just to show you it can be done.

That 220 pemmican that you start with in Lost Tribe is equivalent in nutrition to about 12 packaged survival meals.

I think you get three pets or something so, that's a random amount of meat too. Going to take a mood hit for that though.

On a really cold ice sheet you'll get no humanoid raiders or visitors. Not even sure that you would get polar bears at those temperatures but, even if you did, the temperatures outside would make conventional hunting difficult. Instead you need to run outside for a moment so that the hungry polar bear can sniff you out. Fun times.

You could heat up a cave and hope for an infestation. Bug meat is still edible. The trick is getting them to keel over dead spontaneously so you can drag them to the butchering table. Nerve gas maybe? ;)

I'm not saying it can't be done. But sticking rigidly to the default scenario conditions when you're about to start somewhere that the scenario was not designed for, that's just being stubborn for the sake of it.

Also, the title for your playthrough should be Randy Random Extreme Iceman. Just putting that out there.

jmababa

Quote from: Arctic_fox on November 10, 2016, 04:42:11 PM
Quote from: jmababa on November 10, 2016, 09:36:25 AM

This assumes you have mods installed, if you dont you gotta work with what you got on the land.

yup fishing mod also Marvinkosh has EdbPreparecarefully if he's bringing 1800 pemican

RemingtonRyder

jmababa

RemingtonRyder

World seed: lewis brindley
Size: 400x300
Colony co-ords: (173, 155) 46.13E 41.33N

I didn't make the scenario randomly though. I used the editor to make one called Scav.

jmababa