Bills/storage micromanagement

Started by Alenerel, November 10, 2016, 02:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

This is another face of this game that kills me. Every time you want to set bills or a storage area you have to set everything.
Example: build tailoring bench, set cloth pants, set cloth shirt, set cloth jacket, set cloth hat, set cloth parkas... And in each of them, selct cloth and unselect everything else. When you get devilstrand, do the same... Then similar with the stove: fine meal, simple vegetal meal, simple anything meal (in order, if he cant cook fine meals, he will cook simple). Then set radius in each one and drop on the floor... Then machining...

Then storage. Configure the freezer, configure the cloth, configure the armory, barn, general storage, etc.

ITS DEADLY

Im not sure of a solution for this... My idea is to save customized configurations for each bench/storage in the game, and that you can load or even switch between them easily in game.

For example, In my case I would create a food storage type which has meals, meat, vegetarian, no hay, no kibble, animal corpses and herbal medicine. Each person would create his own customized storages, tho having some default ones would help too.

And just to make it clear, Im talking about benches AND storages, both have the same problem.

BTW area management, policies (clothing/drugs) are also a pain to manage. for areas i would make that making right click on them in the ui you could edit them without having to go to architect > zones. for policies the "better pawn control" works somewhat ok but its not enough. still other than this i dont have better suggestions for these cases. about the UI itself Ill make another post in the future about some ideas to simplify it and reduce the amount of clicks.

MisterVertigo

I agree. I think there used to be a mod where you could copy bills between workbenches. You can already copy between storage areas, but it would be nice to have a set configuration that you can use between games. Maybe a modder can help?
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

14m1337

Quote from: MisterVertigo on November 10, 2016, 05:55:57 PM
I agree. I think there used to be a mod where you could copy bills between workbenches. You can already copy between storage areas, but it would be nice to have a set configuration that you can use between games. Maybe a modder can help?

you mean "JTBills" by Jamestec.
this could really be something for him to do ...
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

schizmo

I agree, having to manually reset all the bills when building a duplicate/moving an original workstation can be very time consuming, and the risk of missing something critical can be very detrimental to things like food production. I once built a second stove and forgot to disable Meat as a usable ingredient for simple meals, and suddenly I was burning up all my precious meat in simple meals and had nothing left for fine meals.

If stockpiles can have copy/paste settings, then I see no reason why bills cannot be copied and pasted.

Havan_IronOak

++Good
I agree that resetting all the bills can be tedious.
This could be fixed like storage areas with a cop and paste feature (like that used in storage areas)

Alenerel

Quote from: Havan_IronOak on November 30, 2016, 01:25:09 PM
++Good
I agree that resetting all the bills can be tedious.
This could be fixed like storage areas with a cop and paste feature (like that used in storage areas)

There is a mod called JTCopyBills that does this. The problem still remains, every new game you have to set all the bills in all tables.

I suppose that most of people just set the generic bills but I like to have priorities, like for clothing, for example, I set this order: craft stuff (set up all the parts, suspend as needed) I need from "anything", then from cloth/devilstrand, then at the end craft dusters and cowboy hats from anything (for the money).

MisterVertigo

There is another by the same author called JTExport. It lets you export your stockpile settings and workbench bills so you can import them again in a new colony. Works like a champ!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Alenerel

Oh shit its true. I literally saw the mod several times and ignored it even tho it was what I wanted -.-

Jamestec

JTExport was made when 14m1337 PM'ed me about this thread.

I've updated JTMoreAreas to try to make editing areas easier; I've added the edit buttons, which leads to a sort of area management hub.

Alenerel

I didnt know that I was your inspiration! But I actually saw your mod while browsing steam and ignored it unintentionally XD Im using it and its very useful! I also use several others mod of yours.

Do you check the cheapest ideas thread? I suggest some simple useful things from time to time.

14m1337

Quote from: Jamestec on December 02, 2016, 09:24:12 AM
JTExport was made when 14m1337 PM'ed me about this thread.

I've updated JTMoreAreas to try to make editing areas easier; I've added the edit buttons, which leads to a sort of area management hub.

my friends may call me the short form: 1337  8)
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.