Taller Grass

Started by DNK, November 13, 2016, 02:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should grass be taller like in the picture?

Yes
1 (50%)
No
0 (0%)
I don't care
1 (50%)
Ever taller!
0 (0%)
The grass is too high already!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: November 18, 2016, 02:12:42 PM

DNK

Currently, I think the grass in the game looks pretty... poor. Most of the map is brown dirt, even with "full" grass coverage, and of course after a year or two, some alpha beavers, the odd lightning storm, it's a brown mess.

I think the swaying vegetation is a real positive of the game's artistic style, yet grass, arguably the swayingest of plants, is miniscule.

Coverage needs to be fuller, as in the picture I made below:

I would argue that most of the plant assets need an overhaul to "fill in" their tiles. Perhaps this goes against the ease of quickly viewing and seeing what's in a tile approach, or perhaps it's all just a placeholder for now, but I'm sort of sick of seeing mud everywhere when the game looks so much better filled in with vegeatation.

PS: if anyone wants to make their game look similar, go to core\defs\thingdefs_plants\plants_wild_temperage.xml and change this under PlantGrass

<visualSizeRange>
        <min>0.8</min>
        <max>2.5</max>
      </visualSizeRange>

Trylobyte

I suspect the reason the grass is short is so you can tell the fertility of the soil underneath it without having to slash and burn.  Grass grows thick on fertile soil so the thick patches of grass and dark-colored dirt are the only two visual indicators of rich soil.  This little change would cancel out both of those visual aids and we'd need another way to find fertile soil while looking around the map.

DNK

Quote from: Trylobyte on November 13, 2016, 02:39:50 PM
I suspect the reason the grass is short is so you can tell the fertility of the soil underneath it without having to slash and burn.  Grass grows thick on fertile soil so the thick patches of grass and dark-colored dirt are the only two visual indicators of rich soil.  This little change would cancel out both of those visual aids and we'd need another way to find fertile soil while looking around the map.
I'm sure there's an easy work-around that wouldn't require a similar level of graphical sacrifice.