Family Bedroom

Started by jmababa, November 14, 2016, 02:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmababa

look at this

shared bedroom should never happen when sharing bedroom with family members duh this should be added in next update

schizmo

The debuff from sharing a bedroom is based on privacy, not whether or not someone is family. Would you want to sleep in the same room as your parents?

Tammabanana

Quote from: schizmo on November 14, 2016, 06:15:56 AM
The debuff from sharing a bedroom is based on privacy, not whether or not someone is family. Would you want to sleep in the same room as your parents?

I have some family members I would be happy to room with, but others: no, just no.

It could be interesting to have two friend-pawns, whether they're family or not, agree to be roommates, using roughly the same mechanics as pawns agreeing to be lovers. "Wants to share a room with X". Presumably family members, having higher friendship levels, would be more likely to propose sharing a room with each other.

Might also be nice to have the "Shared room" debuff scale depending on how much the pawn dislikes the people they're rooming with. Rooming with That Guy would definitely give me a bigger debuff, even beyond the base privacy unhappiness.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

asquirrel

Do you get that debuff when they are married?  If so, that would make sense. :D

schizmo

I've never had a married couple share a room with separate beds but I imagine the only possible debuff would be the same as if they sleep in separate bedrooms. "I want to sleep with my husband/wife" etc

Boba Phat

The idea of the nuclear family is only about 150 years old.  For 2 million years prior to this, humans lived in extended families.  It was the custom for entire clans to live in a single building, and sometimes a single room -- often with all the animals, too.  Mothers, fathers, kids, uncles, aunts, grandparents, dogs, cats, cattle, goats, and all their attendant parasites and vermin happily occupied the same space.  If it's a design decision for communal sleeping quarters to provide unhappiness, fine, but you can't use human behaviour as a rationalization for it.

lllMWNlll

Quote from: Boba Phat on November 18, 2016, 08:26:36 AM

The idea of the nuclear family is only about 150 years old.  For 2 million years prior to this, humans lived in extended families.  It was the custom for entire clans to live in a single building, and sometimes a single room -- often with all the animals, too.  Mothers, fathers, kids, uncles, aunts, grandparents, dogs, cats, cattle, goats, and all their attendant parasites and vermin happily occupied the same space.  If it's a design decision for communal sleeping quarters to provide unhappiness, fine, but you can't use human behaviour as a rationalization for it.

Okay, let's imagine that way. If you are a Tribe, it is consistent to think that they do not care about getting together because they are already get used to it.

But if you lived in Spacecraft, living in your own cabin or sharing at least with two, still can have enough privace for everyone and you get use to it.

Based in what you said and game theory i think - it's totally possible to share rooms with mates and friends , but not with strangers and even worse with enemys. Like this user said:
Quote from: Tammabanana on November 14, 2016, 09:34:49 AM
"...It could be interesting to have two friend-pawns, whether they're family or not, agree to be roommates, using roughly the same mechanics as pawns agreeing to be lovers..."

I agree they can share roomates and don't have any negative buff about it, but they should'nt have any positive buff has well.

schizmo

I mean, the nuclear family might only be 150 years old NOW, but Rimworld takes place 3484 years from now, I'd like to think times would have changed.