Changing stack size

Started by moonra, November 15, 2016, 02:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonra

I did this in 15b by straight up editing the Core defs and it worked just fine, didn't noticed it breaking mods or anything.
But in 15c I wanted to make this "properly" so I got the relevant files from ThingsDefs_Items copied it to a ThingsDefs_Items folder inside a "Larger Stacks" in the mods folder and edited the <stackLimit> tags, just like I did when I edited the Core defs.

But it's been completely ignored by the game as if the folder didn't exist and I don't know what the file is missing. I checked some other mods files, simple things like modifying the recipe for something but I can't tell what makes these work but not mine.

I've looked around in the Help forums but most of the topics that seemed similar didn't really yield me any "enlightenment" on the issue. I also looked at the thing about not using undefined abstracts but that doesn't tell me much since I don't even know what abstracts mean in terms of RimWorld modding.

Anyway, it's probably something pretty minor and obvious to you experienced guys but I've been trying to look into it and solve this for a few hours now so I'd really love to get some help. Thanks in advance!

sulusdacor

there was a stack size increase mod on steam workshop out the last days. maybe look at that one and check what is different to yours;)

but i usally had no probelms just setting the stacklimit on my new items.

edit: short explanation for the abstracts:

abstract is basicly a "blueprint/parent" for the things you define with the abstract. means each item using the abstract will have all the attributes the abstract it uses as a parent has. if you define them otherwise they will get overriden by the item. so the abstract is some sort of "fallback" or "collection" of properties the items of a specific style have. it can save you some lines in xml, if all items you create have basicly just minor differences. it's usally some collection of the "must have properties" of some items. so sometimes you might forget to define some line in the xml and use an abstract, which covers that.

most vanilla items use abstracts, for example buildingbase. for the items and stack - this could mean there is a stacklimit defined in the abstract. which can be overriden by the specific item. so just changing the abstract for items would sometimes not help. you propably have to change items seperate (the ones who use there own stacklimit).

moonra

Hmm, I'll take a look at that one, it should help a lot.

Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation. So it's a base with default characteristics of the items in that class, gotcha.