[A15][WIP] CaveBiome

Started by Rikiki, November 15, 2016, 05:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikiki

You ever wanted to build your colony in the depth of a caveworld?
Then this mod is for you! ;D

Go grab the WIP version here and let me know what you think about it. There is a "Download" button on the right. ;)

IMPORTANT! You must activate the Caveworld flora mod BEFORE CaveBiome mod.
This version of Caveworld flora is completely different from the old one!

Main features:
* you start in a cave. :o
* no light (except from cave wells), do not try to build solar panels... ::)
* completely new flora.
* disabled some events like flashstorm (this should not affect other biomes!), modified others (so mechanoid ship part only crash in a cave well).

Notes:
1) Balance and other tweaks are under progress, please let me know your feeling about it. :)
2) To avoid breaking all vanilla mechanics for other biomes, drop-pod raids can still happen... :(

Any feedback is warmly welcome!!! :D

sulusdacor

my dreams came true^^

will definitly try this one in my next run.

Mr.Cross

Whelp, I know what i'm doing XD
Claims to know most things.

Pajama Zach

This is awesome, looking forward to more.

dyl000

any chance that theres a version of this on the steam workshop? can't seem to find it

erdelf

This looks awesome. I will definitely try that one out on my next colony

Edit:
a little feedback time..

While it is a cave biome and everything, it has way too many caves...
I kinda hoped this would be perfect for mountain bases, but like this it would leave them much more exposed than vanilla mountains.

what is up with the dead animals on every map ? Everytime I load a new map there are a bunch of dead animals.

What are infestation animals doing here ? If it was planned.. it would make kinda sense, but it was surprising ^^

Rikiki

@dyl000: it will be posted on Steam for A16. I had to rewrite the Caveworld Flora mod for this one and I don't want current Steam users to experience incompatibility bugs.

@erdelf: thanks for the feedback! :)
1) Map generation is really hard to master. :-\ I will try to improve it but I doubt I will get really better results.
2) You are landing in a cave well. This mean this is an access to the surface. The dead animals have fallen in this pit. There are diferent kind of cave wells. Have you found the ritual stone?
3) Yep, spelopede and megascarab are intended to be here! :D If they come to your surface colony, they must live and breed somewhere underground! I did not changed their behavior to be too agressive though.

Do you have some coments on the flora?
What about the wood amount, the devil's tongue harvest?

I want to add some product when harvesting black lotus but I don't know what would be balanced yet. Any idea? Luciferium seems to be OP.

erdelf

I did not find the ritual stone, but I will definitely search for it now ^^

The flora looks good, altough it isn't as glowy as the previous one.
For the wood amount and the devil's tongue harvest I have to test some more.

For the black lotus.. maybe add some custom thing that you could make luci out, like you would need to harvest ten or twenty of them to make luci.

sulusdacor

finaly got around to play with this biome. i like it very much so far (only into my first year, so at the start).

personaly chose a medium climate biome, since i was not sure to what temperatures you intended the cave to be.

i was a bit confused with the light spots. since i started to grow on one and then it disapeared and tried at the rich soil and did the same. it was not until later, that i noticed some correspond to the day time and that are the spots you can use to grow^^ but like this mechanic, since it makes you choose your base spot a bit more.

my colony has a bit of a food situation so far, but usally happens on others map with less growing too. i used the green leaves and harvested these and with hunting it seemed to work fine.

the wood seems fine, had a short time were i needed some, but if you know not to waste it, it seems totaly fine and could even be a bit less i think. i usally dont build much out of wood, so maybe just my playstyle/impression.

for the poison plant i must say it confused me,why some of my colonists had the toxic build up. so maybe an extra hediff name would be nice, to let the player realize some plants are harmful to your colony. i like the idea and mechanic tho. overall i love the glowing plants (fan of glowy things^^). already loved the cave flora from your other mod. the texture of the new plants are very fitting to the gamestyle too.

for the harvest of the plants, maybe add some hops if you want the player to get something out of them other then luci?

for the map gen, i must admit i expected one "cave pocket" were i can turtle in, like erdelf said. but non the less i like the maze style, since it's a bit of a change up for my usual playstyle. the other thing is this way you still have a threat from various sides to your base, so makes the game a bit more interesting i think.

for the animals, maybe add some hives if thats possible? so you would have some regions were your colonists would be attacked at the start and that you have to avoid early game. plus i feel it would fit well with the biome. (but not sure how easy/hard it is to add those outside the event)

another thing same like the dead animals, maybe some dead trees? they could just be buildings with a dead tree stump or a tree on the side texture. you would deconstruct them and then get wood? or could be plants with this textures, haven't done stuff myself in this direction, so not sure what the best way to implement this would be.

so yeah,really enjoying the biome so far, great work and thanks for making it ;)

edit: small issue, just got my first poison ship and this seem to be bugged. tried with clean game+only your mod and still there. i spawned some in with dev mode and it has the [no] behind it. so i assume you disabeled them somehow. not sure, but they can still spawn as an event (could not spawn psychic ones with dev mode, so i guess the disable works there, i haven't disabeled any event in the scenario). for the poison, you can not target them and shooting them indirect spawns no mechs. you can deconstruct, but it gives no loot, the destroying gives loot. feels cheaty with no enemy tho^^. for disabling the event i think its a bit of an issue (in terms of game mechanic/progression), since mechs are a big part to get plasteel(+steel) early game and even later on. so removing this mechanic lets you progress much slower and will create some shortage for ressouces. so maybe some thing to counter that would be nice or a simlar event type for the underground. or increase plasteel veins in map generation or add some old mechanoid structurs you could decontruct for ressouces (this might speed up your early game to much tho, could be guarded with buggs maybe?).
(forgot to mention could spawn other events with no tag like alpha beavers/coldsnap with dev mode, but not sure if that means they would be generated normaly. they did not happen in my game so far.)