What happened to Floored mod?

Started by Alenerel, November 17, 2016, 11:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

What happened to the mod Floored? It was amazing and vanilla friendly, I really loved those tiles!! Its not either in steam or in this forum :(

Curundir

Hi there, I'm the original author of Floored and indeed I removed my mods from both Steam and Ludeon. I'm really glad to hear that you liked my mod :-) That said, a lack of meaningful feedback while it was available is the reason that I removed it... I'm not sure if you're gonna like it, but you can read more about my motivations in the following thread on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/0/215439774852575166/

Semo

Well the fact that you didn't get enough likes is sad but a pretty shit reason to take it down. Luckily i still have the zip and willing to share if the creator doesn't mind. I use a lot of mods and no i don't post in every thread saying thank you Mr.Modder. I don't use the steam version so you didn't get my like either. If i did you would have. Tbh i think you are hurting yourself and future project by taking it down coz you didn't get the respons you hoped for. I used to make YouTube video. Some where successful and other where not. I didn't take them down or stop making video's coz i didn't get enough likes.

I love your floors dude! plz put it back up or i will :P

skinicism

It sounds very depth reposing if you're into
that sort of thing. Personally, I'm eager to
see the next mod this person comes out with
to replace it.

Doc Savage NDMF

This sounds a lot like the NHL's thought process with it's spheres of influence for game broadcasts. Somehow they thought (and still think) that they will create hockey fans by taking games off the air; games are blacked out if you're in another team's sphere. Never mind that you're closer to a different team, they'll force you to become fans of this other team. That doesn't work for the NHL and it won't work for you.

I loved this mod, but I have to say I likely won't subscribe to anything this author does again as my recent foray into the badlands was so rudely interrupted for "reasons". 

Mods, followings and subscriptions are earned over time through care, content and commitment. Your integrity goes hand in hand with the quality of your work. Seriously, there is nothing like a good mod author; one who keeps them solid, up to date, not overly complicated. You were that right up until I fired up the game today. You have done your reputation a disservice sir, something that will take 10 times the work to get back. I'm saddened by that. All the best in your future endeavors...
_

Alenerel

Quote from: Doc Savage NDMF on November 17, 2016, 04:34:50 PMMods, followings and subscriptions are earned over time through care, content and commitment. Your integrity goes hand in hand with the quality of your work. Seriously, there is nothing like a good mod author; one who keeps them solid, up to date, not overly complicated. You were that right up until I fired up the game today. You have done your reputation a disservice sir, something that will take 10 times the work to get back. I'm saddened by that. All the best in your future endeavors...

I understand why he did it but I have to agree with you. I hope he posts it again.

Curundir

I love how civilized the discussion is over here, compared to Steam. Thank you for being adults, and taking the time to properly formulate your opinions. I really mean it :-)

As to future mods from me, I don't have the intention of creating any. I had planned to do one more, an alternative ambient/chillout soundtrack, but given that my other published music and soundtracks never earned me a cent, but are abundantly available on Russian mp3 sites... I gave up on that idea as well. (BTW I also took down my soundcloud a few days ago, for the exact same reasons.) People seem to need art, but take the artist and his work for granted. (I spent over 10,000 hours studying music production and many 1,000's of Euro towards the gear needed. None of that ever came back to me, even though people assure me I'm the best musician they ever met.)

What adds to my decision is that I know it can be completely different. A few years ago I created a skin (more of a complete GUI makeover) for a virtual instrument. The forum thread on that is 8 pages long, all musicians expressing how they couldn't go back to the default GUI, or even bought the thing now that the new GUI is available. To this day, the thread gets bumped whenever someone stumbles upon it. I can tell you without shame, that such a thread makes me feel proud and happy, and gives me the feeling that it really mattered. I will never take down that creation of mine.

And Semo: be my guest - as long as you credit me I'm fine with you reposting Floored. I just can't be bothered anymore to silently put in all the work and deal with all the questions. Good luck!

Semo

Quote from: Curundir on November 17, 2016, 05:03:51 PM
And Semo: be my guest - as long as you credit me I'm fine with you reposting Floored. I just can't be bothered anymore to silently put in all the work and deal with all the questions. Good luck!

Sorry for being a bit a of ass. I was just trying to push you a bit but i see that didn't work.

If you don't want your mod up there then i'm not going to repost it for you. What would be the point of giving you credit if you don't even want to post it yourself.

Its a real shame and i wish you the best of luck.
This colony wont look the same without it.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Alenerel

Well, I suggested in the cheap suggestions to include your mod in the game. That was before it was taken down.

Could you share it again, even if you dont plan in making anything else?

Alenerel

Im sorry but...

Curundir

Quote from: Semo on November 17, 2016, 05:20:31 PM
Quote from: Curundir on November 17, 2016, 05:03:51 PM
Sorry for being a bit a of ass. I was just trying to push you a bit but i see that didn't work.

If you don't want your mod up there then i'm not going to repost it for you. What would be the point of giving you credit if you don't even want to post it yourself.

Hey, I really didn't take any offense, don't worry. Meanwhile someone reposted Floored on Steam. Maybe someone can do the same here on Ludeon? Me not wanting to do it anymore has nothing to do with the mod itself, or me wanting to keep it from you. I just don't want the trouble of working to keep it online, updating it, and handling feature requests, without any form of reward. Many people say that 2000 subscribers is a reward in itself, and 1% thumbs up is the best that it's ever gonna get. And while that may be very true indeed, I'm honestly disappointed in the indifference of the average internet avatar. Because of that, I won't come back on my decision, and I won't be releasing any further mods. I know that most people won't understand that, and that's ok. But I'm really ok with leaving Floored in the hands of someone who's better capable of handling "the internet" :-D

Curundir

BTW, I did some more thinking. I feel that taking down Floored was a move that many people didn't like (and I really understand, sorry for all the sand in your bases) but it was something that I just had to do. And even knowing what I know now, I would do it again in a heartbeat! But... my goal was never to take it away from you - my goal was to liberate myself from something that I didn't enjoy. And I'm glad to say that I succeeded in that.

But how to keep a mod out there if it's creator abandoned it? Which fool would spend time on mod administration, updates and support for someone else's mod?

Therefore I have now decided that Floored, from now on, is public domain. I give up any claim that I have on the mod and the assets within, and I no longer require anyone to give credit to me as the original author. That means that anyone can use it in whatever way they see fit - including claiming that they made it themselves (!) or using it for any other purpose. I hope that this message can serve as proof, and I hope that this will save the artwork and give it a second life in someone else's mod.

If anyone is aware of additional steps I have to take to make this official (maybe this message isn't proof enough) please let me know!

milon

Looks like the original mod thread was completely removed (I assume by Curundir).  Since it's now in the public domain, anyone can create a new mod thread for it.  Suggested to include:

1. The mod itself and a statement/quote that Curundir has put it in the public domain
2. A link to this thread for easy verification of #1
3. A link in this thread pointing to the new mod thread

Put the mod in the appropriate (sub)forum, of course.  ;)

carbon

Reference question:
Is it possible to give someone else the ability to edit and administrate a mod you've created on Steam?

There's definitely a way to add others as contributors / co-creators, but I can't readily test whether or not that gives them the ability to make updates and the like.

If it does work that way, it certainly would have been easier on everyone to just pass off control to some other capable and trusted modder. It may also still be useful for what to do next with the mod contents.