Game Crashes on Start

Started by Kernel86, November 15, 2016, 04:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kernel86

Pretty much as the subject says, the game crashes as soon as I launch it.  I'm running the non-steam version.  Everything works fine on my old laptop, but my slightly newer ThinkPad W520 it just dies.  It doesn't appear to be getting very far as the config folder is never even created.  I've attached the crash log, hope it helps.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

nccvoyager

In there an "output_log" file in the game "data" directory?
If so, please attach it.
(This should be a different output_log file than the dump output_log file provided already.)

QuoteLog File
Posting a log file means uploading the log RimWorld generated. Here's where to find it:
Windows (Steam): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\output_log.txt
Windows (non-Steam): RimWorld####Win\RimWorld####Win_Data\output_log.txt
Mac (Steam): Users/<UserName>/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
Mac (non-Steam): /Users/[your user name]/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
Linux (Steam): /home/<UserName>/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Player.log
Note: You must run RimWorld from the console or the log file will not be created.  If you don't run RimWorld from the console, you may find the log at /tmp/rimworld_log
Linux (non-Steam): /home/[your user name]/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Player.log

Kernel86

The output log in my data directory is identical to the one in the crash dump.

nccvoyager

Okay, have you tried the stuff in this sticky post yet?

If so, let me know, and I'll see if I can try to figure out a few more things you could try.

Kernel86

Yes I've completed the applicable steps listed there prior to posting just in case but nothing helped.  I hadn't looked at the output_log very closely before but it appears to be crashing trying to initialize the graphics card.  I don't have symbols but running it in windbg it gets the access violation in nvumdshim.dll which is what's listed at the top of the output_log for graphics.

This laptop has nVidia Optimus graphics which I'm not to familiar with yet, but if I switch it to default to the integrated Intel HD 3000 the game starts an runs fine.  With the control panel set to use the discrete Quadro 1000M, which is apparently the default, the game errors out.  I do have the latest nvidia drivers installed as provided by Lenovo, but I'll check if there's anything newer from nvidia and if that makes any difference.

nccvoyager

Well, if you can find an older graphics driver, that may help as much as, or more than, a newer one might.

In the error.dmp file, several involved files are NVidia Corp. files.
(Most from 2013, it looks like.)

Though, can't rule out Windows files being involved either.
(Error log mentioned "0MB of physical memory" there.)
No experience with symbols either, to be honest.

May need to wait for someone more qualified to work with crach dumps than myself, though your suggestion of using a different driver is indeed a good one.
Perhaps even simply reinstalling the existing driver may help.

Edit: Interesting that these types of crashes, errors, and weird bugs that cannot be replicated on other systems, all seem to be occurring with the newer "power saving" technologies supplied by NVidia and ATI.

Okay, so, taking a look at NVidia Optimus...
Try running the game via:
Right-click the game executable or shortcut. (RimWorld.exe or the like.)
Try to select "Run with graphics processor > High-performance Nvidia Processor" if available.

Kernel86

All right, I installed the R362.77 Quadro pack from nVidia which is quite a bit newer than than the OEM supported package.  Figured I'd try newer first since the OEM one is from late 2015 so it was a bit dated to begin with.  (Actually looking at the installer it's dated 2015 but says it's R312.69 from 2013 lol).  So actually, really old...

Anyway, the game now runs with either graphics card selected in the nvidia control panel.  Quite a few options seem to have disappeared with this driver pack, but other than that everything seems normal.  I don't have the right click option to select which card programs are run with for whatever reason.  The control panel does appear to allow you to set profiles for specific programs though, if I needed to.

Here's the top of the output_log now with each card, so I know it does work with each, the rest is as expected again.
Initialize engine version: 5.3.4f1 (fdbb5133b820)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [nvumdshim.dll 10.18.13.6277]
    Renderer: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
    Vendor:   NVIDIA
    VRAM:     1967 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Initialize engine version: 5.3.4f1 (fdbb5133b820)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [nvumdshim.dll 10.18.13.6277]
    Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    Vendor:   Intel
    VRAM:     848 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly

The error itself is still strange though, haven't seen a game completely fail like that before because of, presumably, graphics driver issues.  It just popped up that an access violation had occurred and that I should send the crash dump to the developers.  Always something new anyway.

Thanks a lot for your responses nccvoyager.  It was late when I initially posted this and I wouldn't have peeked in the output_log again if you hadn't asked for the one in the data directory.  Then I'd still be sitting here with no game. :-P

Calahan

Quote from: Kernel86 on November 15, 2016, 09:23:34 PM
I don't have the right click option to select which card programs are run with for whatever reason. 
If you click on the "Desktop" tab from the page menu at the top of the Nvidia Control Panel screen, then check if the option to "Add "Run with graphic processor" to Context Menu." is ticked or not.

nccvoyager

Ah, thanks for mentioning that, Calahan.
I'm still running an old GTX 680 Ti myself, so I have little experience with these matters.

In any case, I am glad it is working now.  :D

milon

@Kernel86, what Windows version are you on?  I notice your log files state you're on DX 9.0c, which is correct if you're on Win7 or older, but if you're on Win10 it should be DX 10 or DX 11.

Kernel86

This laptop is Win 10 as was my old one.  The logs on there showed DX9 too as do the ones on my Win 7 desktop iirc.

milon

I had my Win10 system also using DX9. For me it was a graphic driver issue. Windows Update thought it had the latest drivers, but after manually hunting for a better one I got it running with DX11. Much nicer for most games!  :)

Anyway, I know you just updated, but I encourage you to keep checking and see if there's a newer one, or else just a sightly older one that works better (it happens).