UHD/4K problems

Started by Mussels, November 18, 2016, 06:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mussels

I've been playing rimworld for quite a while now and its a rather strong addiction.

Just upgraded to a 40" samsung UHDTV over my previous 55" sony 1080p and... rimworlds UI is just too small - its literally unreadable on a 40" screen, which is pretty crazy when you see 28" 4K monitors for sale on the market.

Part of the problem is that the game doesnt actually seem to change resolutions, when its fullscreen 1080p my TV actually reports its still running at 4k - i guess the game just runs a scaler instead of changing resolution?

I've tried gaming at 1080p instead and the fuzziness causes eyestrain very quickly so i guess i simply cant play anymore until i find a fix - is there any mods or UI hacks to simply double or quadruple the size of text and UI elements? Has there been any official mentions of support for that?

milon

* Subscribed *

I don't know the answer, but I want to keep an eye on this.

nccvoyager

What type of cable is being used?
HDMI, or another type?

I had an issue with a TV I use as a second monitor, wherein with HDMI the screen would set itself to 1080p, while the input was actually at 720p.
This resulted in the same type of scaling as you mentioned.
Seems that my graphics device was sending incorrect signals to the screen, and vice-versa.
Took a while, but I managed to resolve the issue by forcing both the TV and the NVidia control panel to use the "highest available resolution" for the device.
This allowed for two-way communication of the "highest available resolution" between both devices.

Don't know if this is actually a similar issue to yours, but I hope it is something as simple as that.

Disclaimer: May be a few days until I can respond again if needed.

Mussels

Quote from: nccvoyager on November 18, 2016, 09:12:26 PM
What type of cable is being used?
HDMI, or another type?

I had an issue with a TV I use as a second monitor, wherein with HDMI the screen would set itself to 1080p, while the input was actually at 720p.
This resulted in the same type of scaling as you mentioned.
Seems that my graphics device was sending incorrect signals to the screen, and vice-versa.
Took a while, but I managed to resolve the issue by forcing both the TV and the NVidia control panel to use the "highest available resolution" for the device.
This allowed for two-way communication of the "highest available resolution" between both devices.

Don't know if this is actually a similar issue to yours, but I hope it is something as simple as that.

Disclaimer: May be a few days until I can respond again if needed.

i've got proper 4K 60Hz happening - the image is fine in and out of game, its just that text elements are too small.

I'll take photos on my phone, since screenshots obviously wont look right unless you have the same size and resolution screen as me.

nccvoyager

Ah, so the image itself is fine, but the UI (and text) is too small to use?
Not sure what kind (if any) UI (and text) scaling RimWorld has.

(Reminds me of the "Game In 60 Seconds" joke about the text scaling in The Witcher 3. "I'll just mount a freaking telescope next to my couch!")

Mussels

lets see if i've figured IMGUR out:

Look how tiny the UI is in the bottom left

Super close up view of those same tiny buttons

Comparing 1080p to 4K on the menu (PC is still sending 4K res - this is 'stretched' from the game)

nccvoyager

Indeed, this is an issue with UI scaling.
According to Tynan, 4 months ago:
QuoteThe whole UI framework in Unity works per-pixel which makes it hard to scale like this.
Isn't there some functionality in the OS that lets you run a game at blown-up resolution? I do this with various programs in Win10 on my new laptop because the pixels are so tiny.
Yeah, it won't be as sharp as it could be but it'll be nice and playable and just as good as it was designed for.
From Reddit.

Edit: I must go now; netbook battery almost dead. Apologies that this is an issue, though there is no real answer as on yet, short of running at a lower resolution.

Mussels

i've already got DPI scaling set to 200% in windows - rimworld and its UI (thanks to unity i guess) ignore that setting.

Ark

This should be fixed in A16.
https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/781961841262157824
QuoteRimWorld Alpha 16 will support UI scaling! All you people with absurdly high-res monitors can rejoice.

Mussels

Quote from: Ark on November 19, 2016, 07:57:48 AM
This should be fixed in A16.
https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/781961841262157824
QuoteRimWorld Alpha 16 will support UI scaling! All you people with absurdly high-res monitors can rejoice.

well thats exciting :D

nccvoyager

This also, theoretically, could mean that RimWorld can be scaled for ultra-small screens too.
(Can't play unstable versions because I have no internet on my desktop computer, and my netbook has a 1024x600 screen. At least this thing still runs Half Life. Pretty much anything can run Half Life... A new toaster probably could. Literally.)