Preventative medicine

Started by Boba Phat, November 18, 2016, 08:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba Phat

I'd like hospital beds to have the ability to set bills for check-ups.  The bill would allow you to automagically have colonists go every X number of days/weeks/seasons/years and get a medical check-up done by someone with medical skill, essentially an operation which has a preventative effect.  A character should have resistance to disease after a check-up which slowly fades.  It should also show up any pre-existing medical conditions, such as diseases which haven't manifested yet.

Recently I had a 51 year old character with no medical conditions have a sudden heart attack, then collapse and die before she could get to a bed or before anyone could reach her.  Given that sudden deaths with no warning can cause chain-reaction animal berserking which can destroy an entire colony, there really needs to be some way of avoiding it.  Heart attacks like that should not occur without a period of warning which can be detected from a medical check-up.

lllMWNlll

Frequent check ups for don't get by surprise is a nice idea. Animals should have this too

ReZpawner

Not a bad idea tbh. Certain illnesses would have an incubation period anyway, and being able to catch it before it really goes to town on your colony could be pretty sweet.

schizmo

Additionally I think this could be a way to increase the medical skill of doctors between combat injuries, which I think is something that is lacking in the game. I've had level 17-18 doctors literally drop back down to level 10 due to a lack of major combat injuries as my colony becomes better and better defended, but when a major disease like Plague hits my doctors aren't skilled enough to properly handle it because they're rusty from a lack of practice and the treatment quality suffers :(

lllMWNlll

Quote from: schizmo on November 18, 2016, 06:49:17 PM
Additionally I think this could be a way to increase the medical skill of doctors between combat injuries, which I think is something that is lacking in the game. I've had level 17-18 doctors literally drop back down to level 10 due to a lack of major combat injuries as my colony becomes better and better defended, but when a major disease like Plague hits my doctors aren't skilled enough to properly handle it because they're rusty from a lack of practice and the treatment quality suffers :(

Yeah! After reaching 15 skill, the skill degradation sucks. Skills like Medicine, Social shoudn't have degradation or at least reduced.

For your problem for now, at least, i recomend this mod https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11148.0 it will solve your skill problem. I think you can configure it to "not degrade", "1% of exp skill level", "50% rate of degrade".

Wex

Actually IRL you can see warning signs of an heart attack 24 hours prior the event (if you know what to look for), so it's not a bad idea.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison