My map is dead by year 3 - every time!!

Started by mc858, November 22, 2016, 02:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc858

So i noticed my maps all end up looking like barren wastelands. No plants a couple years in (not counting my farms)

I have fires/flashstorms and animals grazing - but shouldnt it come back? i have pockets of the map (maybe 20%) that have animals and plants by year 3 onward- but the rest of the map is literally barren (doesnt matter what type of location i choose to start) - its really starting to get annoying because i need plants so i can have animals to hunt and tame...anyone else go through this?

OpposingForces

sounds kinda like an old bug that there used to be. the ground lost it's fertility level and so plants couldn't spawn and spread. strange though. pretty sure tynan fixed that a long time ago.
No one can hear you scream in space. But the Raiders get a chuckle from you screaming while a boomrat eats you.

skullywag

Happens to everyone. Its just a thing that happens. Plants will only travel a certain length in from the map due to the animals now congregating there eating it back as it tries to spread.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Calahan

Tynan said he has made some changes to how plants reproduce in A16, which should help with this problem. Here is the link to Tynan's post (on reddit).

Tynan - "I've already re-tuned plant reproduction for A16 so this should be alleviated in future."
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5a60jx/so_a_thrumbo_just_selftamed/d9efpg4/

Bozobub

If you need grazing for animals, grow hay and/or restrict them to a dandelion plot ^^ .
Thanks, belgord!

laser50

Quote from: Bozobub on November 22, 2016, 10:00:01 AM
If you need grazing for animals, grow hay and/or restrict them to a dandelion plot ^^ .

I think the thing is more that he doesn't want his world to look like a desert.
Perhaps it just needed more tweaking than Tynan did at that time

eadras

Quote from: Calahan on November 22, 2016, 03:42:17 AM
Tynan said he has made some changes to how plants reproduce in A16, which should help with this problem. Here is the link to Tynan's post (on reddit).

Tynan - "I've already re-tuned plant reproduction for A16 so this should be alleviated in future."
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5a60jx/so_a_thrumbo_just_selftamed/d9efpg4/
Thank you!  The barren wasteland effect was really starting to get me down.   ;D

zandadoum

Meanwhile , just plant small zones of trees and flowers all over the map, which currently helps with plant reproduction.