Wanna congratulate Tynan for the Caravan

Started by Lightzy, November 20, 2016, 04:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightzy

I wanted to congratulate Tynan for the direction he's taking in A16 with the Caravan. This is what's going to separate Rimworld from "all the rest"

Actually, I feel that THIS is exactly the moment where Rimworld leaves the area of "been kinda there, done kinda that", with many other games doing the same thing in one way or another, and boldly going where no game has gone before, in such an interesting (and so perfectly compatible) fusion of game styles.
I think that this is truly what would set Rimworld apart from anything else, from Dwarf Fortress, from other 'civic' management sims etc. It's going to be Rimworld's 'innovation' in terms of gameplay.
Also, it goes so perfectly in keeping with the 'wild west' theme (which I think probably isn't represented enough yet, but it's there in the music and tribes etc. Would definitely appreciate seeing the occasional muffalo skull on the road)

It also seems so incredibly comprehensive in its design goals (judging by the caravan teaser image), that really, it looks like tynan was like "If I'mma do this, I'mma do this absolutely right"

(The following is just speculation)
The settle button seems to imply that you can, at any moment, go to a local-area screen with your caravan and do what you do there (hunt, gather berries and stuff, look for treasure, or even just set up camp for the night for narrative reasons, or even potentially settling in), before repacking and continuing the track. And hopefully, all the while, still having your actual main colony to run (I imagine that you'll get a popup whenever something big happens there?)

It also opens up so many new story and gameplay options.. running away from a failed colony to start a new one, having to quickly escape an uninhabitable radioactive fallout area to establish temporary residence somewhere else before returning

Also, warfare. The caravan in the pic is attacking a rival faction, so you could even go "RTS" mode, or just play a tribe of nomadic raiders, or... train robbers? vigilantes? or whathaveyou. More western themed stuff is appreciated)

It seems this update opens rimworld up to being a true, total, uncompromising "emergent personal story creation" game. I just love it.
AND.. even if it doesn't, still an amazing addition.

Congrats.

RimworldOx

You mean... Rimworld could rival the Company of Heroes series as an RTS if your teaser derived interpretations of that map are correct?

Sweet.
;D

jmababa

Quote from: RimworldOx on November 20, 2016, 06:03:48 AM
You mean... Rimworld could rival the Company of Heroes series as an RTS if your teaser derived interpretations of that map are correct?

Sweet.
;D

No It can't but it could rival the 2 games that are good but can be better Fallout 4 and state of decay

mumblemumble

Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

carbon

J_Dawg_27

Quote from: carbon on November 20, 2016, 02:11:43 PM
Premature congratulation is premature.

Some "guys" just can't help being premature.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: J_Dawg_27 on November 20, 2016, 03:41:54 PM
-Random descent into perversion-

I do believe Tynan needs thanked, however about this newest update? that indeed may be just a little premature. As some people know there is always a chance that these things may turn out to be different than perceived.
Claims to know most things.

Spdskatr

Quote from: Lightzy on November 20, 2016, 04:34:06 AM
Also, it goes so perfectly in keeping with the 'wild west' theme (which I think probably isn't represented enough yet, but it's there in the music and tribes etc. Would definitely appreciate seeing the occasional muffalo skull on the road)

It also seems so incredibly comprehensive in its design goals (judging by the caravan teaser image), that really, it looks like tynan was like "If I'mma do this, I'mma do this absolutely right"

Does that mean cutscenes?
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Lightzy

Quote from: carbon on November 20, 2016, 02:11:43 PM
Premature congratulation is premature.

Did you by any chance understand what I'm congratulating tynan for?

I suspect not.
Please, try to use brain :)

carbon

#1) I don't appreciate casual insults.
It doesn't help anyone and it makes this forum seem a lot less friendly.

#2)
I wanted to congratulate Tynan for the direction he's taking in A16 with the Caravan.
It's going to be Rimworld's 'innovation' in terms of gameplay.

Given that you can't really know the extent of the caravan direction nor the nature of the added gameplay at this point, my comment was apt. He could technically scrap it all in a fit of divine inspiration and give us only hats for dogs for A16.

Even if we assume you have prophetic powers of foresight and are right on all the details, a congratulations is best reserved for after the added features take some concrete and public form. Doing so before has a tendency to result in bad optics.

Your post was reasonably well written and I'm sure Tynan appreciates the occasional positive feedback, but maybe you should have waited another month or so before posting it.

Hierophant

This game is already complex enough without all this wild speculation entering the picture.

mumblemumble

Quote from: Hierophant on November 21, 2016, 09:32:21 AM
This game is already complex enough without all this wild speculation entering the picture.
I agree....a16 LOOKS and SOUNDS awesome, but lets be honest.

the only MATTER OF FACT data we have is....
-sending caravans is a thing
-settling places is a thing (we dont KNOW if we will be able to directly look at these colonies however)
-New worldgen is a thing
-Traveling, for trade or assault is a thing (unsure if this is RTS style though, or abstracted away)
-Global weather is a thing

Besides these, we really have nothing CONCRETE for a16.... and things are subject to change too.

Granted, its very likely, but I really dont like relying on "probably"
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

donot85

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 21, 2016, 10:54:15 AM

the only MATTER OF FACT data we have is....
-sending caravans is a thing
-settling places is a thing (we dont KNOW if we will be able to directly look at these colonies however)
-New worldgen is a thing
-Traveling, for trade or assault is a thing (unsure if this is RTS style though, or abstracted away)
-Global weather is a thing

Besides these, we really have nothing CONCRETE for a16.... and things are subject to change too.

Granted, its very likely, but I really dont like relying on "probably"

yes but.... seems a lot of new cool stuff to me XD. I want always more too, but i'm really exited about this update.. i wanted a system similar of this since alpha 7 :D

Lightzy

Fine I'll help you.

I'm congrating tynan for the DIRECTION (as is in the first paragraph, line even, of the post) he's taking rimworld in.

No longer just a static colony management sim, but something much more.
Which is freaking awesome and might develop in any way, but obviously, it is now a step forward from a simple colony manager.

In no place in the post did I prophesize what exactly is going to be in it. In fact, when I did speculate, I titled it with "this is speculation". If some buffoons can't understand that, they're buffoons, what can I do.

carbon

Before the formal speculation part of the OP, there's a strong implication that "the caravan" part will have some expansive features separate from the routine colony management we've done thus far.

Even without specifying what those expansive features might be, the ideas that the caravan is
(1) a new, non-trivial part of game,
(2) meaningfully separate from colony management and
(3) fun,
are more than anyone outside of the developers know. Therefore, congratulating them on these assumed ideas is at least premature, if not inaccurate.

-------------------

What doesn't help things is the heavy use of pronouns. There's way more ambiguity than necessary.
I wanted to congratulate Tynan for the direction he's taking in A16 with the Caravan. This is what's going to separate Rimworld from "all the rest"

Actually, I feel that THIS is exactly the moment where Rimworld leaves the area of "been kinda there, done kinda that", with many other games doing the same thing in one way or another, and boldly going where no game has gone before, in such an interesting (and so perfectly compatible) fusion of game styles.
I think that this is truly what would set Rimworld apart from anything else, from Dwarf Fortress, from other 'civic' management sims etc. It's going to be Rimworld's 'innovation' in terms of gameplay.

the Caravan = it = this (?)

If this and it turn out to simply be the ability to disappear some colonists from your colony management screen and return in a few days with a handful of steel (+fancy cosmetics), referring to it as 'innovative', 'bold' and 'a fusion of game styles' will come to seem silly.

If you can't glean even the tiniest bit of wisdom in that critique, then I will stop trying.