Rimworld 2! Random thought just because.

Started by Vas, November 20, 2016, 01:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vas

I know I know, its too early to think about Rimworld 2.  Perhaps don't think about this as Rimworld 2, but Rimworld Story/Multiplayer.

This is just a random thought I had while editing a video on youtube totally unrelated to the game.  ( https://youtu.be/mHBDsEiqwFw )  This being a team play game I was editing may be what gave me the idea.

A first person Rimworld, where you play as a single character from your crashed crew.  Same Rimworld planet, style, everything except, in a first person environment.  Maybe 3D models and such instead but yea.  Essentially, the same storyline, random events, buildings, in first person mode.  Each of you controls only a single character that you can set up before launching the game.  Your own backstory, age, skills, etc.  If you play alone, you have AI that you can send orders to, while if you play with friends, they join your server and the admin/server owner creates the parameters while they create their character.  Once ready, everyone falls to the planet and starts playing.  Players can join and take over an AI or fall as an injured colonist.

Now in this game mode, events do still happen as they do in Rimworld, but it takes you into the game deeper so you see things from a single colonist's view.  You can run around and do your own things first hand instead, you'll have to manage your own stress levels or you'll lose control of yourself and go on a mental break.

Anyhow, this was just a random idea/thought I had, I wasn't sure where it would go good on the forum since I doubt it'll ever happen.  I felt compelled to share the thought/idea though, and hope Tynan gets around to seeing too!  Could be a good future game, but its probably something that'd require a bigger developer team/model artists and such, who knows.

On an unrelated note, I'll be 27 in two days, woo.
During my break from Rimworld, I've been doing a lot of Ark Survival.  I with Ark devs were as intelligent as Tynan.  These Ark devs just don't know jack squat about maintaining a good community.  Tynan is a far better developer than I've seen in many many games.  Rimworld has an amazing community, woo!

Alright, my random post of randomness is done, enjoy all.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Vincent

mumblemumble

To be entirely honest, I could support a rimworld 2 in a few years, mainly because rimworld WAS started using a rather limited engine, which does its job of course, but designing a new engine to support z levels, and other features would be well worth it.

(waits to be crucified for his support of a rimworld 2)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Alenerel

Well, I agree with you about Rimworld 2 in a few years, but not now. If there is a Rimworld 2 I would also like that it had hexagonal/octagonal tiles so we could build in diagonal. I totally not support the z level, it makes no sense in 2d.

mumblemumble

Quote from: Alenerel on November 20, 2016, 05:57:44 PM
Well, I agree with you about Rimworld 2 in a few years, but not now. If there is a Rimworld 2 I would also like that it had hexagonal/octagonal tiles so we could build in diagonal. I totally not support the z level, it makes no sense in 2d.
who said rimworld 2 needed to be 2d?

Could do a sorta xcom like setup,  in terms of how its visually presented...
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Alenerel

Well, it could... The problems that come to mind at first is that the view can be uncomfortable since we currently play pretty zoomed out but in 3d we might to zoom in more. Also we would need some graphics and that would need more investment in art, and it should look good. I mean, right now it looks good and its simple, but looking good in 3d is another thing. For example the graphics in "software inc" for me are awful, idk if its possible to create something beautiful with low poly.

codyo

This sounds like every other first person survival game for your idea. The market is saturated with this kind of thing.
Secondly. Multiplayer rimworld? Yuck.

Listen1

There are quite some amazing graphics in the Topdown perspective, but it is always harder to design for it, specially from the graphic part. If you don't do it well it looks awful.

Rimworld inspiration was a western outerspace crashland. If there was to have a secound one... I would like something with a big twist, like if it was back to 90's.

Because recently, It's medieval fantasy, futuristic space or post apocaliptic. I would like some other themes. Rimworld is not the same as above, but has a space/post apocaliptic vibe.

Shurp

Thinking in terms of financing... what does it take to keep a developer interested in a game?  I'm thinking of poor Gnomoria, which got abandoned for who knows what reason.  I already got my $30 out of Rimworld; I wouldn't mind seeing a developer say, "OK, I'm going to call this the base game, and now I'm starting on version 2.0...." -- assuming he puts just as much effort in as he has already.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Vas

I don't think some of you read my post, I'm under the impression that some of you saw the title, and immediately skipped to replying.

What would be great is if I could throw some of you onto a random planet just like Rimworld, and film it to make a movie out of it.  :|

Flying Rockbass, look at the TV Series Firefly, I believe the inspiration for the way this game is came from that.  As its a mix of space and western type stuff.

Alenerel, Team Fortress two is horrible on graphics.  Its just one big cartoon joke of a game.  Its the most popular thing on steam, people still throw loads of money at it all the time.  Borderlands also is a great game with a different artistic style to any of the other 3D games out there.  It has a pretty big storyline too.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

makkenhoff

Your idea sounds a bit like SS13 style gameplay - admittedly I can't say that I don't like the idea... but the idea has been done wrong a lot with multiplayer games in general, so I'm always a little leery when suggestions are made towards the effect of multiplayer. The gameplay of single player games (in general, exceptions exist) many times just doesn't translate well when you add more people with different ideas of how to play into it.

ReZpawner

I'm hoping he does something else for a while tbh. Not because a Rimworld 2 wouldn't be great, but once you've spent a LOT of time working on a game, regardless of how good that game is, you're going to end up pretty much sick of it.
Besides, he's got some serious talent, and it would be very interesting to see what other games he could put that to use in, rather than making a somewhat forced follow-up game. 

Andy_Dandy

Rimworld 2 sounds far worse then Rimworld 1 from the description of the OP.

Vas

Quote from: ReZpawner on November 21, 2016, 06:49:49 AM
I'm hoping he does something else for a while tbh. Not because a Rimworld 2 wouldn't be great, but once you've spent a LOT of time working on a game, regardless of how good that game is, you're going to end up pretty much sick of it.
Besides, he's got some serious talent, and it would be very interesting to see what other games he could put that to use in, rather than making a somewhat forced follow-up game.

Yea, BlackJacketStudios ended up switching from their hit Metal Drift to something else because they grew tired of it, but this is possibly what ultimately bankrupted them.  They could have done great things with Metal Drift had they continued but they grew bored of it.  I came along towards the end of their development on it and provided ideas but they just didn't want to continue anymore, so I took it upon myself to edit the game files with another of the top players to make a new update that added one new map and some balancing changes.  It was popular for a while because the balance felt great.  But we lost the files and the developers never ended up wanting to make an official update out of it.

Getting bored of your product is natural, but you should hope that your next product idea is going to make you enough money to keep yourself in business.  Shouldn't dismiss the possibility of a round two on your already popular product if you see that your new one may not produce the results you need.

Shurp

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on November 21, 2016, 06:49:58 AM
Rimworld 2 sounds far worse then Rimworld 1 from the description of the OP.

Exactly, which is why I didn't bother responding to it.  There's no shortage of FPS games out there.  One set in the Rimworld universe might be entertaining but Rimworld 1 is far superior.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.