Better organization of mods section suggestion

Started by Alenerel, November 22, 2016, 09:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

Its a huge pain to search for mods, and its even more of a pain where all of them are mixed, outdated and current A15.

My suggestion is to create each time a new category for the current version. In this case its a bit late, but when A16 is released, a new brand new "A16 releases" section should be added. The current idea of having "releases" and "outdated" wont work cause it needs moderators to move the mods to outdated and its some serious work, while creating a new category its very easy. I recommend not to use "current" or just "releases" since they can cause confusion and there is a high chance of messing up when doing the changes. Also they WILL mess up if no category is created when a new update is released, exactly like happened with A15/A14/A13, they werent moved to outdated on when it had to and these three categories are now together and a huge mess to search.

So:
- The current category called "releases" should be renamed "A15/A14/A13 releases"
- The current category called "outdated" should be renamed to "A12 and previous releases" and contain only categories, not threads inside it.
- Create a new blank outdated category and put there "A12 and previous releases".

Once A16 comes out:
- Move "A15/A14/A13 releases" to the category "outdated".
- Create a brand new "A16 releases" in the mods section.

Its very little work and I recommend to do the rename right now so that its prepared when A16 comes out and to not mess things more than needed.

The "Mods" category would look like this:
- A16 releases
- Outdated
-- A15/A14/A13 releases
-- A12 and previous releases
(the rest: help, translations, etc)

Please, its very easy to do this and would unmess everything with very little work. I really dont understand why people make the things so complicated... T_T

orannj

I would second this. It would let people keep a better idea about what mods are actually updated for A16, rather than slog through all of the posts in releases.

skullywag

I deffo need to do a pass over and remove all the outdated stuff (which i have been doing bit by bit recently), other than that I dont have the permission to do the subsections.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Canute

Just wait for the next release, and then put all topic from the current release to outdated or into a new A15 folder.
Currently i don't think it is that worse, beside a few topics the last entries are for A15.

skullywag

People update randomly thats way more work for the moderators (i.e. me) id have to move everything back.

As i said this has been discussed at great length already. Ill tidy up today a bit and go from there.

Alenerel

Thats why I suggested this. There is no need to tidy anything, just create a new blank category every new version.

skullywag

Threads move and are updated, modders dont create a new thread each alpha, this is why its not done.

Alenerel

Then you people can give people that create topics under the releases subforum the ability to move their own topics between the versions subcategories.

If you are afraid about giving permissions to move own posts in these subforums just tell people to create a new topic for their mods every new version... Its not very hard.

I think that this is the way to go, any other way requires a lot of work from the moderators to keep it working while this does not.

Canute

Quote from: skullywag on December 02, 2016, 09:44:09 AM
Threads move and are updated, modders dont create a new thread each alpha, this is why its not done.
And why not ?
It is pretty easy to dulpicate the old thread starter into a new thread. At this way the big rat tail of old mod version discussion get removed and just the important stuff for that version stay at the thread.

skullywag

Im not moving every modders threads each alpha and we arent giving move permissions out. Modders want the history of the mod and its discussion/feedback kept so starting a new thread is not gonna happen. We know the forums arent the best place for getting mods. Im THE most vocal person regarding that point. You arent stating anything i havent already tried to state pre me being a mod and now i am one. Let me tidy up and see where it gets us.

And dont take this as me makimg rules this is how modders want it.

Alenerel

People always doing things the complicated way for the sake of... something...

Canute

QuoteIm not moving every modders threads each alpha
Why not rename "Release" into the Ax after each new alpha, and create a new Release.

Quotewe arent giving move permissions out
They can edit their old thread starter, copy the whole msg. into their clipboard, start a new thread and paste it, they need to edit and adjust it anyway.

Alenerel

QuoteIm not moving every modders threads each alpha

I reread this again and i think that he misunderstood me. You dont have to move "every thread" not at all. You just rename the current "releases" section to "A15/A14/A13 releases" and when A16 comes out you CREATE a new one called "A16 releases".

There is nothing to move and if anything what there is to move are entire sections not picking individually which threads to move and which ones to not to move. That would go against everything Im damn proposing which is tidy up with little effort.

skullywag

But modders dont want to do that.....i dont know how i can make this clearer, I have spoken to a lot of modders they dont want to do more work with their thread, they are happy to just keep their threads/mods up to date and if it falls behind they understand it goes into outdated.

Im not allowed to rename anything ANYTHING. Seriously drop this, im started to get annoyed now, its not hard to understand, there isnt going to be any new sub forums, ive asked this question MYSELF and got told no.

If i dont move the modders threads from the now "old" A14 section (lets pretend it exists), then there would be nothing in the new "releases" forum, modders would have to recreate their threads, they DONT want to do this as above, now we are back to me moving things. not gonna happen.

I understand what you are asking fully.

Tammabanana

1. Go to the Releases board.
2. CTRL-F.
3. Type "A15".

Congratulations, all of the up-to-date mods are now highlighted by your browser. The version is in literally every subject line, and when a modder updates their mod, they update the subject line.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo