Help in deciding whether or not to take this course to learn to program unity/C#

Started by Zakhad, November 23, 2016, 01:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakhad

I saw this program advertise on Facebook (WAIT !!! It isn't as bad as it sounds!). Now I don't normally click these links but I suppose when you see 95% off you might give it a cursory glance, this case hence why I'm here about to ask a couple of questions.

The course in question is: https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/ (Normally it's £195 / $242 / €230 atm it's 93% off at £14 / $17 / €16 give or take) (For the next 13 hours as of writing this post)

1. Would you recommend that being taught to program via an online medium in an semi official capacity (as in not formal educational programs i.e collage/university) a good way to learn e.g. video tutorials. I suppose what I'm asking is; Did it work out for you?

2. Since Rimworld is built on unity/C# How directly does this translate into being able to mod in rimworld, This seems like exactly what I would need to learn, I'm asking for clarification if would you agree with me.

I honestly I think I'll get it and learn what I can. It seems very comprehensive / legit the reviews are pretty good. From what I can tell It was a kickstarter program, so I'd assume it'd be tailored to be specifically what people would want i.e to learn how to program video games.

Also to promote this offer it seems like It might interest other's who would like to be taught in a semi official capacity but not so much so as to go into college/university.

Thirite

If it's only $17 you don't have much to lose, but any background in programming is sufficient to learn how to mod the game.  Personally I'd simply recommend watching a tutorial on the basics of OOP and C#.

mugenzebra

I just wanna say don't let the price fool you because free stuff can be as good, efficient, effective as paid ones. https://www.edx.org/course/programming-c-microsoft-dev204x-2
check out youtube, and free articles on the internet, this free book http://www.charlespetzold.com/dotnet/

I'd generally run from those types of things like they have every STD on the planet.  But, as Thirite said, for less than $20, the investment is worth the risk.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.