The topic Scars. Everyone hates them.

Started by endders2, November 23, 2016, 01:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

endders2

I've been playing a game recently, through and normally I just quit and give up after I only have one colonist left.. but this time I made it through, got back on track. But my hugest, 100% biggest issue is the guy I used to do this now has about 6 scars. Now, that's not bad and all, but now he constantly complains about being in pain.
Now I'm not sure what type of scarring we're talking about here but if your scars are causing you pain you need medical help.

I also furthered myself and researched drugs, and found nothing like a pain reliever that wouldn't screw my pawn over in the long run. So I think there should be a means to get rid of scarring over time it goes away and only gives 1% of the pain or something like that would be acceptable.

And to finalize this and why I'm so complainy^ about it, I had to euthanize ( send him into a herd of 13 raiders he killed about 6 if you're wondering. ) him. Which means I lost a guy who single handedly rebuilt a colony, and the ONLY reason I couldn't keep him anymore is because his pain would always have him in a state of mental break, or extremely close to one, and I admit I had to reload a save because he wiped out the colony when he went berserk and had his assault rifle... good times.

14m1337

there are some mods around here that give your docs the ability to heal scars.
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

deepSeaKing

a guy who can rebuilt a colony single handedly also can destroy it single handedly.

endders2

Quote from: 14m1337 on November 23, 2016, 02:38:21 PM
What one is out there ? I'm not against modding my game as its semi-modded already ?
Thanks for the reply

mumblemumble

you bring up a damn good point, I've quite literally hacked off scarred up legs  in favor of PEG LEGS because peg legs cause no pain, and in some cases barely hamper movement compared to the scar.

Thats pretty bad, when amputation is a viable solution for a SCAR.

I think scars / nerve damage should be segregated into different features, and perhaps nerve damage can heal (maybe) over long, long periods of time. To be honest, I would love colonists having scars all over from combat WITHOUT being broken.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Serenity

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 23, 2016, 03:43:15 PM
I've quite literally hacked off scarred up legs  in favor of PEG LEGS because peg legs cause no pain, and in some cases barely hamper movement compared to the scar.
And in some extreme cases that's a valid treatment. There are cases IRL were a prosthesis causes less issues than a mangled limb.

But as you said there needs to be a difference between regular scars and such permanent injuries.

schizmo

I have mixed feelings about this, on the one hand I like the system the way it is because it puts a major incentive on proper treatment and healing and training of doctors.

On the other hand, I think all scars are treated equally when in reality there are varying degrees of scarring that can cause varying degrees of pain and disfigurement.

Maybe scars can be broken into Major and Minor varieties depending on the severity of the injury that caused them? I don't think they should be done away with, they make the game interesting...

14m1337

Quote from: endders2 on November 23, 2016, 03:32:38 PM
Quote from: 14m1337 on November 23, 2016, 02:38:21 PM
What one is out there ? I'm not against modding my game as its semi-modded already ?
Thanks for the reply

I'm using DESurgeries
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Rock5

Firstly, I believe scares do have varying degrees of pain.

Secondly if the pawn is continuously complaining about pain then maybe a painstopper is an option.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

kermanguy

How about no pain from scars? I have a scar on my ankle, and it doesn't hurt. I still approve of the idea that it should lower limb health, but making it so that it causes a permanent mood debuff is just annoying as hell and immersion-breaking.

schizmo

Quote from: kermanguy on December 02, 2016, 08:44:08 PM
How about no pain from scars? I have a scar on my ankle, and it doesn't hurt. I still approve of the idea that it should lower limb health, but making it so that it causes a permanent mood debuff is just annoying as hell and immersion-breaking.

Some scars are painful, I did a quick google search of scar tissue and pain and there are a number of results of people with scar tissue that pinches nerve endings and causes pain like when it gets cold and stuff. I don't personally have any painful scars but really bad scars can potentially be painful depending on the circumstances.

Rokdog

As someone who is way too young to have already had 4 surgeries, yes, scars can hurt. The first 3 did not, but they were "minor" scars, as others called them. One of them is a "major" scar, far larger both in length and width than anything I've ever experienced. To this day, that area of my skin is still sore and tender, and when my blood pressure is high it actually becomes so warm it feels like I have a "mini-fever" around the area. No, it's not infected (blood rushes to the area and my skin is thinner there, hence the sensation of more heat.) Yes, I have spoken with my physician and while he said it should improve with time, it may never fully go away. That conversation with him was more than 5 years ago. While it has improved, certain movements don't let me forget it's still there.

Despite my personal experience with this, I agree with the suggestions in this thread. It seems like he's using "Scarring" as a place holder for 3 things: Minor Scars, Major Scars and Nerve Damage. Like other place holders, we'll probably get more complexity in time.

Good discussion.

Alenerel

The thing is that irl scars usually dont cause pain... I know, i know, this is a game. However scars in arms reducing manipulation and scars in legs reducing manipulation I think its too much as a permanent things.

Im more in favor of long term wounds. Example: a gun shot gets from critical to workable in a couple of days, but from there to get completely healed it would take a couple of game weeks or even a season or two, depending on the gravity of the wound. Then remove completely scars from the game or just call these long term wounds scars.

On the other hand, with this system a guy who is left like a strainer after a battle but hasnt died wont just get up magically COMPLETELY healed after a day in bed and treatment. He will be able to move almost normally in a couple of days but have more penalties and pain due to the wounds for a season.
And a guy that got one gunshot will be able to work almost normally after the second day, until he gets completely healed in a season.

Alenerel

I really hate that tendency of people when someone say "usually..." and someone rush to "THERE IS A CASE WHERE IT ISNT".

I said USUALLY. I have a scar from a tube of metal going down to my elbow since I was 7, it goes all the width of my arm, its pretty big and it doesnt cause the slightest pain, never did. I have many other small scars and none of them hurt at all. The classic scars of the evil guy of Batman, the Penguin, it probably dont hurt at all. And many more examples. Most of scars dont hurt at all, are just ugly things.

Rock5

I used to be ok with scars because they were rare. Now they happen seemly very easily. That's annoying. After just a few battles all my once healthy guys will have varying amounts of permanent pain.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport