HumbleTown: A full story of a colony with plenty of pictures (short)

Started by MiniKeeper, November 24, 2016, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniKeeper

Rimworld adventure 2: Humble Beginning
Custom scenario: Start with 1 colonist. That's it. Only one colonist. No equipment or starting supplies. The tech level is that of a colony.
Difficulty: Cassandra Extreme 

I chose my starting colonist, DiNardo, because of his pretty good stats and too smart trait. I also won't have to worry about him developing bad health conditions. I'm pretty satisfied with him.

Notable skills, 8 shooting, 12 animals, 7 medicine, 9 art.

Landing point: Rainforest with year round growing.

Day 0:
DiNardo built a bedroom and short bow. I'll have to send him to hunt in the morning. It'll be a great meal of raw meat.

Day 1:
After killing and butchering an alpaca, DiNardo made a small rice garden. Once the garden is finished it's time for more rooms.

Day 2:
We get our first visitors. They don't have great gear, but there are plenty of panthers around...

The managed to escape since DiNardo had food poisoning from his raw alpaca diet. They won't escape next time.

Day 4:
Our first wanderer joins. She isn't amazing, but she can haul. She also has a good crafting skill. Maybe this means we can make some real weapons soon. Welcome to the colony McDaniel.

Notable skills: 6 melee, 9 crafting.
As she joins, I get the popup to name my colony. I name it HumbleTown.

Day 5:
A combat supplier has come from one of the local towns. Time to aggro some panthers.

But right after the caravan comes in, so does a lone raider.
Raiders are not good at positioning themselves.

My panther trick worked! My first firearm!

Maybe things got out of hand though... I aggro'ed another one to take out the raider. But it enraged another nearby one... I've got to deal with two angry panthers...

We managed to kill the panthers, but DiNardo got scratched up and McDaniel is incapable of caring. Hopefully bed rest will be enough.

DiNardo quickly developed an infection. His wounds are healing, but unless we get a colonist who can doctor, he will die.

In other news, we captured a prisoner named Zack from an escape pod. He is also incapable of caring. Poor DiNardo.

Day 7:
Our little colony may be doomed already. I had McDaniel build DiNardo's coffin early. We need a good doctor.
This is the colony so far.

Late that night, DiNardo's infection reached extreme at 65%. He is going to die and I can't even euthanize him because McDaniel is incapable for caring.

Shortly after he passed away. I blame you McDaniel.

Day 9:
Things are going downhill. McDaniel is a crappy farmer and badly botched the rice harvest. She can't warden our only prisoner, so we can't get a new recruit. I think they colony is over.

To add insult to injury, a heat wave came meaning McDaniel could very well die from heatstroke.

Day 10:
Thanks to a cowboy hat salvaged from a dead visitor, McDaniel won't die of heatstroke. She somehow managed to harvest just enough rice to last 2-3 days. But, then she went berserk at the same time a raid came. Who will win? Short vs McDaniel.

McDaniel recovered from her rampage right as Short closed in. She easily beat Short into submission with her bare hands. I swear she's surviving only to spite me now.

Day 12:
I was wrong in my initial prediction of McDaniel being heatstroke immune. She is getting affected, but slowly.
On the other hand, my prisoner died of heatstroke. Rest in peace Zack. You died because of the heat McDaniel.

Later on day 12...
McDaniel is passed out with heatstroke. While this happened, Cassandra decides to taunt me with the promise of a new recruit: a 89 year old new recruit, who if I accept, I also get a complimentary raid.
No thanks.

Luckily, later that day McDaniel recovered from heatstroke as the heat wave died down.

Day 13:
The day started with a tribal raider who decided to attack the colony. McDaniel shot him twice with the pistol, then beat him to beat with her fists.
Enjoy your shoddy grave Canto.

Day 16:
Things are coming along. Despite things going slowly, they are going. McDaniel has been cutting down trees and I have plans to build two new houses. Once that is done, it's time to expand our farms.

Some ship chunks also crashed. This means we have components now.

Day 19:
Oh my gosh! An escape pod landed with a really good colonist! Even though she's old, she has only a minor artery blockage!
Oh wait. McDaniel is incapable of social. So I can't recruit her.

Thanks McDaniel.

On the bright side, a horde of alphabeavers has arrived. Free food!

But, with the good comes the bad. A three man raid team has arrived.

This could end really badly. McDaniel could easily meet a fate similar to that of DiNardo's. Even if she survives this battle, infection could be the killer.

On the bright side (x2), an alpaca went insane and attacked one of the raiders.

The battle ended, and McDaniel managed to get away without any bleeding wounds. No infections today.

Day 20:
Sadly, our prisoner died of blood loss. I shouldn't have rescued her knowing McDaniel can't do medicine. Oops.
Farewell Lumi.

Right after Lumi died, I get another escape pod. Cassandra hates me.
This refuge is less good than the last, but is still pretty good.

I'm not making the same mistake though. Sorry Manny, you're going to lie there and bleed to death. It's not my fault, blame McDaniel.

Day 22:
I got a pirate caravan from an outlander town. If I had some silver I could afford to buy a new colonist. I feel like Cassandra has taken pity on me.

Day 23:
As McDaniel is broken in a daze, a three man raid team has arrived.
It includes a raider with very high skills whose only weakness is his minor asthma. (Yes, really).

McDaniel recovered at the last minute and staged a desperate fight against the raiders. She was outmatched. This is the end.

But right as McDaniel is getting carried away, an escape pod lands. Screw you Cassandra.

I can do nothing but watch as flames slowly engulf the ruins of my colony.
This is McDaniel's fault.

The full colony after the rain extinguished the blaze.

Endgame statistics:
Play time: About 3h and 30 minutes.
Major threats: 5
Enemy raids: 5
Colonists killed: 1

In conclusion, my entire colony collapsed because the incapable of social and incapable of caring combo.
Thanks for reading. This story took up 25 pages on Microsoft Word (mostly because of pictures) and has about 1100 words.
There will probably been another (hopefully longer) story that comes out later this month or early December. No promises though.

Mkok

Nice  :D

This reafirms me in the believe that a colonist needs to be able to treat himself, so we can have a true 1 colonist colony.

MisterVertigo

Well, that didn't end as I expected it would. I figured a one-person colony in a jungle would end with your sole-colonist getting malaria and not being able to do anything about it. I was close though with the infection.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

OldManSteve

Static_Target